Brera going - sniff. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 01-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Brera S 3.2 M

Brera going - sniff.

Well, after ten (mostly) happy years owning 4 different Alfas, I'm sorry to say I'm leaving the fold.

My first Alfa was a pre-facelift 156 Sportwagon 2.0JTS which I loved. This was my last company car. I was 'persuaded' to leave the company car scheme and bought a 147JTDm, which was OK but seemed a step backwards in many ways.

My wife, who doesn't seem to quite understand the rules for how these things are supposed to work, then decided that a Brera would be nice and that we (I) could afford one. So in 2007 I traded-in the 147 for a 2.4 Brera. I loved many things about this car - how it looks mostly - but eventually I couldn't live with the DPF clogging every month or so. In and out of the dealers for 2 years to no effect, so I did the sensible thing and traded it in for a 3.2 Brera S.

The 2.4 put me off diesels for life but the 3.2 has been no trouble at all - it's only been back to the dealer once for a service. Yes, it's a bit thirsty and the seats are not as comfortable as the older seats but it does sound great. But my FGA contract is at an end so it is going back.

There isn't anything Alfa makes right now that I really want. I've had Mitos and Guiliettas as courtesy cars and even the top of the range ones don't really float my boat.

I want frameless doors and a decent sized petrol engine and I don't want to shell-out nearly 600 a month any more. Again, I've done the sensible thing and bought a 9 year old BMW 330ci. 64000 miles and in beautiful nick. 29 mpg instead of 19! Very well built and everything without the Italian quirkiness (or sheer good looks) of the Brera. The Germans haven't yet perfected the art of storing a cupful of water in the bootlid to empty down your neck as you open it.

Maybe once the 4C is available (and second hand) I'll get an Alfa again - I hope so anyway.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

Fair enough. Hope to see you back eventually - Perhaps the new Guilia?
AO Silver Member
County: Galway

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Lick Can we lick a BMW !

Glad you enjoyed & thanks for sharing you're experience .
So long > i'm sure you will be back <
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

Brera 2.4

I'm dreading the day I come to the end of the line with my Brera. Alfa has nothing to offer in the current line up that even comes close to the design and 'spirit' of the 159/Brera/Spider. I may just get another one!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

brera , sniff