159 Biodiesel update - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 29-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 2.0JTDm SW

159 Biodiesel update

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd just post my latest experiences of using Bio in the 159 1.9JTDm

I've been running it for about 7000 miles now on various mixes of 100% Bio, 100% pump diesel and everything in between and can so far report almost no problems....

I usually get my bio for a place in Widnes and can run tank after tank on 100% bio and the only down side is that it never starts first press of the button, It's usually 3rd press, sometimes 2nd but never more than 3rd.

It costs me 1 a litre and the car runs considerably quieter and consistantly better than on pump diesel, occasionally when I can't get to the Bio place I have to put pump diesel in, recently I used 2 full tanks of pump diesel and whilst the economy improved by around 3-5MPG the 40ppl saving more than covers that.

However I changed supplier this week, I'm working away and can;t get to Widnes when the place is open, So I went with another guy off ebay selling it for 1.10 delivered from Burton on Trent. It's ****e, put 60 litres in on friday night with about 5-6 litres left of pump diesel and when cold on saturday morning it almost flattened the battery trying to start it......

I've now mixed in a few gallons of pump diesel to thin it out, and I'll continue to do so with the remaining 90 Litres, but I'll be sticking to Widnes from now on...

Still no harm done, and saved
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Greater Manchester
Just out of interest, has your 7000 miles included any winter running? The reluctance to start suggests the biodiesel has a lower cetane number.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , biodiesel , update