What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 95 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
Garage
Good job I'd spent two hours on topping up the wax...

Went to the launch party for the 4c tother day.
As soon as I pulled up I was asked by a member of staff at mangoletsi if my spider could go in the show room

Also ordered a smart top module. It's currently in Los Angeles. Can't wait for the extra posing points when the roof does it's thing all on its own...

...until it fails half way through!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (71.9 KB, 26 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R159 View Post
Took the back boxes off to look at getting some straight pipes and new oval trims fitted instead of the boxes. Unlike the experience of some on the site I didn't have to remove the bumper, the profile of the box allows it to move inside the bumper enough to get it out. The key is to clamp the Y shape pipe before you start wiggling, too about 40 mins taking it steady. Also glad I had ramps and dry weather too
Removed the box's from my spider and put 8c style tail pipe on. See pic above.

It sounds the dogs doodaas...people are shocked when I tell them it's a derv...
AO Member

County: Rutland

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4

So did you just have a straight pipe with the double outlet, no silencers and did you stick to the std 2.25" diameter tube?

It has been said ( again on AO) that removing the back boxes makes no difference, well the clearly didn't drive the car just sat it on the drive reving the engine or they are deaf!!!

If you don't mind what did that set you back?
Bruce100 likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4

Ooo...questions, questions

Did you stick to 2.25" pipe?
How much did it cost, places around me seem to want to rob me for 2 bits of bent tube?

Anyone who thinks there is no difference (again it's been said on here) is clearly either deaf or not actually driven the car.... Just revved it upon the drive
AO Member

County: Cornwall
Clean, Clean car!

Finally got round to washing the car properly, the bad weather has stopped me for 3 weeks!

Washed with AutoGlym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner then paint swirl masking with Poorboys Black Hole Glaze, to top it off, two coats of Collinite 915 Marque D'Elegence.

The car looks stunning, first time I've tried these products, all I can say to the Poorboys is WOW! The paintwork looks brand new!

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/attac...1&d=1402159417

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-06-07 13.32.31.jpg (113.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-06-07 13.32.38.jpg (175.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-06-07 13.32.48.jpg (164.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-06-07 13.33.01.jpg (68.5 KB, 20 views)

You're not a true petrolhead until you have owned at least one Alfa - Jezza

My Fuelly
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester
Fitted internal LED light bulbs and also LED bulbs on the rear licence plate. Managed to flatten the battery though, as it took a couple of hours and I had the TV tuner and multimedia screen on all the time!

I used Jay's excellent guide. I don't think I would have tried without it.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Cheated on it over the last two days as took Clare's V6 GT. The GT makes a fantastic sound & the power delivery is brutal given the short gearing but it's very unruly, compromised & a real handful. Torque steer, twitching all over the show exiting roundabouts, under steering etc.

The Brera runs rings around it on twisty A & B roads, through roundabouts & so on.
Unregistered

Member car:

Brera 3.2 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
Cheated on it over the last two days as took Clare's V6 GT. The GT makes a fantastic sound & the power delivery is brutal given the short gearing but it's very unruly, compromised & a real handful. Torque steer, twitching all over the show exiting roundabouts, under steering etc.

The Brera runs rings around it on twisty A & B roads, through roundabouts & so on.
+1
Wonder if the 3.2 Brera S suffers with the same issues?
Do they share the same Q2 diff?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfabreraNew View Post
+1
Wonder if the 3.2 Brera S suffers with the same issues?
Do they share the same Q2 diff?
No, the Brera S has a Mickey Mouse electronic system, little more than ASR/VDC, our GT has the proper slippy diff.

That said, the 2WD S is much better on challenging roads than the GT too, just not quite as good as Q4, IMO.
Unregistered

Member car:

Brera 3.2 Q4

Quote:
No, the Brera S has a Mickey Mouse electronic system, little more than ASR/VDC, our GT has the proper slippy diff.

That said, the 2WD S is much better on challenging roads than the GT too, just not quite as good as Q4, IMO.
I can agree i find no need for ASR.
Keep mine switched off
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
So did you just have a straight pipe with the double outlet, no silencers and did you stick to the std 2.25" diameter tube?

It has been said ( again on AO) that removing the back boxes makes no difference, well the clearly didn't drive the car just sat it on the drive reving the engine or they are deaf!!!

If you don't mind what did that set you back?
Yeah. Standard size pipe, just had the silencers removed and tail pipe design part (for when you buy a custom set up) welded with a piece of "bent pipe" to the splitter 'Y' section of the old system. I have also had the DPF and CAT removed and remapped to incorporate all the changes. EGR disabled and blanked. The sound it awesome for a diesel! It honestly does not sound like a diesel!

I got it made up and fitted at 'demon Tweeks' in Wrexham N Wales. I paid about 260. Bearing in mind the tail pipe design I chose were 80 each.

Even if you just sit there revving it you will hear the difference, but it's different when under load. The sound changes over the first few hundred miles, it was really boomy and bass at first but has quietness down to a nice level which is not intrusive when normal cruising but you know when you stamp on the loud pedal!

Alfas don't break down..... They stop to be admired

Alfas don't leak oil.... They are marking their territory
AO Member

County: South Australia
Quote:

My GT V6 has a Quaife diff, KW V2 coilovers and an Autodelta strut brace and it has almost no torque steer. The Quaife catches it instantly. It also handles beautifully and is tight and responsive. I had to drive down to the south coast through the twist hilly roads to play at a seaside resort today and the car was just awesome. Boy does it fly! I felt like turning around and doing it all over again.
(Post Link) post #2363 of 5114 Old 08-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Got some LED sidelights in, then took them straight out again. Canbus error free, my arse!

Anyone know of any good quality ones? The majority seem to be rubbish.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete McK View Post
Got some LED sidelights in, then took them straight out again. Canbus error free, my arse!

Anyone know of any good quality ones? The majority seem to be rubbish.
The ones I got have been pretty good, I've had two warnings come up then go again straight away (plus the bulbs still work)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x10-NO-ER...3D111130963390

I don't like the blue tint though, I really want white like my Ring 120%'s, can't find any though
Global Mod Team

County: Lancashire
Garage
Basic clean and then went for a drive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alfa 159 1.jpg (70.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg alfa 159 2.jpg (63.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg alfa 159 3.jpg (63.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg alfa 159 4.jpg (65.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg alfa 159 6.jpg (69.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg alfa 159 7.jpg (80.4 KB, 12 views)
(Post Link) post #2366 of 5114 Old 08-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Shad86 View Post
The ones I got have been pretty good, I've had two warnings come up then go again straight away (plus the bulbs still work)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x10-NO-ER...3D111130963390

I don't like the blue tint though, I really want white like my Ring 120%'s, can't find any though
Cheers, might give them a try. The last 2 sets I've had have failed pretty quickly.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete McK View Post
Cheers, might give them a try. The last 2 sets I've had have failed pretty quickly.
I've had mine in since January..still going strong
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfadisiac View Post
Yeah. Standard size pipe, just had the silencers removed and tail pipe design part (for when you buy a custom set up) welded with a piece of "bent pipe" to the splitter 'Y' section of the old system. I have also had the DPF and CAT removed and remapped to incorporate all the changes. EGR disabled and blanked. The sound it awesome for a diesel! It honestly does not sound like a diesel!

I got it made up and fitted at 'demon Tweeks' in Wrexham N Wales. I paid about 260. Bearing in mind the tail pipe design I chose were 80 each.

Even if you just sit there revving it you will hear the difference, but it's different when under load. The sound changes over the first few hundred miles, it was really boomy and bass at first but has quietness down to a nice level which is not intrusive when normal cruising but you know when you stamp on the loud pedal!
Any chance of a couple of snaps of one of the bent pipes, I've got a couple of 3"x5" ovals on the way for tail pipes and there are plenty of people on line doing bends and other bits so I think I can make something up myself (I've got access to heat and electric glue). Local chain exhaust builders are asking 200 and in one case that's not including the tail pipes!!!
Rich
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
I reckon if any newcomers, like myself, don't know about cleaning their MAP sensor then this is a wee heads up.

I just cleaned mine. It was very easy to locate and remove. It was clarty (manky) ((very dirty)).

I used carb cleaner and the gentle use of a tooth brush to tease the oily lumps out. Once clean the carb cleaner only took a minute or two to evaporate. Re-attached and took the car for a spin.

What a difference, a much smoother pickup and willingness I've not felt in the 159 before.

Magic!!!
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfadisiac View Post

Any chance of getting a video to hear this? am interested in getting a similar system fitted to my 2.4 but just want to hear what it sounds like first! Ta!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz3litre View Post
My GT V6 has a Quaife diff, KW V2 coilovers and an Autodelta strut brace and it has almost no torque steer. The Quaife catches it instantly. It also handles beautifully and is tight and responsive. I had to drive down to the south coast through the twist hilly roads to play at a seaside resort today and the car was just awesome. Boy does it fly! I felt like turning around and doing it all over again.
Ours has all of that excect for the KW's. I suspect you have better roads that we have.

Main issue over here is potholes, bad cambered roads & rain, all of which making the GT a wild ride.

Back in the Brera today and very happy
AO Member

County: Armagh

Member car:

2.4 159 ti

Plastidipped my front badge and grill, still need to pick off some of the overspray though.. although I could be tempted to spray part of the bumper to see how it looks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0041.jpg (116.5 KB, 31 views)
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4

Had these puppies arrive at lunchtime 3"x5" all stainless 25 delivered for the pair, now I can crack on ordering the pipe work.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...psa0a67caa.jpg
Slight panic as they both looked like they had scratches but some autoglym metal polish and an old sheet to the rescue... No wire wool as it made a right mess of my existing pipes at the weekend
AO Member

County: Alytus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags159ti View Post
Plastidipped my front badge and grill, still need to pick off some of the overspray though.. although I could be tempted to spray part of the bumper to see how it looks!
How did you avoided texturization when spraying as mine don't look as good as yours?
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack21 View Post
Any chance of getting a video to hear this? am interested in getting a similar system fitted to my 2.4 but just want to hear what it sounds like first! Ta!
I'll give it a go. There's no way I could do it whilst driving though as I don't have a go pro or anything of the sort. Sat at idle rev will have to do from my phone

Quote:
Any chance of a couple of snaps of one of the bent pipes, I've got a couple of 3"x5" ovals on the way for tail pipes and there are plenty of people on line doing bends and other bits so I think I can make something up myself (I've got access to heat and electric glue). Local chain exhaust builders are asking 200 and in one case that's not including the tail pipes!!!
Rich

Again, I'll give it a go, my spider has been lowered and I don't have access to a ramp to get under properly.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today