What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 80 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

County: West Lothian
Garage
Done yesterday but just collected it from the garage an hour ago so it counts, .

Timing belt and water pump replaced - a bit early as it's 'only' on 54k miles but better safe than sorry. It turned out that the pump had started leaking anyway, and on seeing that I had a Warrantywise cover certificate in with the service book, my indie has submitted a claim on my behalf before I even got there - good man, .

MOT'd at the same time. Just now looked at the paperwork and I'm puzzled by a couple of the advisories so I'll need to enquire further.
1. "Sidelights coming on with the ignition" - they've been like that for a while (I'm not forking out for a replacement switch just for that, especially as I switch on the headlights every time in any case) but I wouldn't have thought that this 'fault' warranted an MOT advisory, .
2. "N/S/F brake pad in poor condition" - that's a worry as it's an expensive Performance Friction pad fitted (along with new discs) less than 1500 miles ago. Can't see anything different about it when compared to the O/S/F, .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
i am really obsessed with polishing my spider and i wonder if i clay bar it would it take the shine to another level?
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Its going to help get any contamination off but then you're going to have to put a coat of polish back on. Loads of options exist for decontaminating the car prior to a good polish coat.

If you're after some serious shine, try this stuff that I used:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-d...k-edition.html (CarPro Cquartz Ceramic Paint Protection Kit UK Edition)
AO Silver Member

thanks for that
AO Member

County: Armagh

Member car:

159 2.4 lusso

Put it up for sale!!!!

Any takers???

County: Berkshire
Took my 159 2.0 down to see AHM and have it's first service (in my ownership). And a remap with EGR blanked off. Very happy to be told that if he hadn't looked he would have thought it was clean 50k example (it's got 115k) and every looks OK apart from needing new disks and pads (one for the weekend).

Now to see if the mpg gets any better on the motorways. I already know it's much more fun low down...
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 SV "S"

Cleaned, aqua-waxed and touched up a few stone chips on my alloys. Looking good.
AO Member

County: Devon
This morning after having a new drivers door window regulator for 3-4 months I finally fitted it. A bit of a pig the new aftermarket one had smaller bolts which ment I had to drive to work for more nuts, quite odd diving around with no window or door card
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

Brera S 2.2

Had my brera mot'd and serviced.
AO Member

County: Bergamo
Garage
Finally back on it's wheels for the first time since November. New Koni's, Eibach's and radiator. Tomorrow looking forward to test drive with roof down. Bella vita !
AO Member

County: Rutland

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4

Fitted new upper wishbone, Took 60 mins without rushing. Gave the car a good clean including getting rid of a load of tar spots with one of those clay mitts, which worked very well
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Removed my oil catch can in a B&Q car park in Farnborough

...why? I hear you ask.

Its too restrictive! The mini one from Rutland Motorsport, or at least the particular one I have, is far too restrictive and caused a build up of pressure & backed up the oil vapour in the head which in tern caused it to smoke like a chimney!

I noticed after a 100 or so miles drive down south while stuck in traffic on the M25 on Friday evening. It looks like I was on fire from the drivers seat and from outside just looked like I had a blown engine.

Performance was off slightly, but not noticeably until I removed it.

Oh yeah, and it only collected this much oil in 100 or so miles:

IMG_20140222_201600.jpg

I am sure a better can with greater airflow if fine but the design of that small one is too restrictive, or mine was faulty. Either way, I just reconnected the hose with a 15mm solder ring for about 2 so no big deal to fix

IMG_20140223_094812.jpg

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
AO Member

County: Durham

Member car:

159 Ti 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by R159 View Post
Fitted new upper wishbone, Took 60 mins without rushing. Gave the car a good clean including getting rid of a load of tar spots with one of those clay mitts, which worked very well
A clay mitt!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ET9F0Q..._hpCctb1GH43M6

Is it this sort of thing? Never even heard of them! Do you think they're worth getting?
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today?

Just fitted my oil catch can, used one of the larger ones from e-bay with a pipe and steel scrubber in it , also noticed a bit of smoke from the outside of the can ( thus was at idle) seeping through the gasket on it. Was thinking of going for a smaller one like yours, but seems it's not the way forward.
Where was the smoke coming from on yours jabawacky?

Last edited by giblets46; 24-02-14 at 19:23.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post
Just fitted my oil catch can, used one of the larger ones from e-bay with a pipe and steel scrubber in it , also noticed a bit of smoke from the outside of the can ( thus was at idle) seeping through the gasket on it. Was thinking of going for a smaller one like yours, but seems it's not the way forward.
Where was the smoke coming from on yours jabawacky?

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

Exhaust!

It was recirculating back into the combustion cycle somehow or effecting the air fuel ratio significantly, no idea tbh but it was terrible and definitely the catch can causing the pressure to back up. as I tested blowing through it and it was practically blocked!

I have spoken to the company today who are sending me another out and between us we are going to make it work. Rutland motors seem very helpful!
AO Silver Member

put a indoor cover on her and on trickle charge
AO Silver Member

Garage
What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today?

Interesting, will keep a look out, as I say mine seemed to be coming from the catch can, not a huge amount, and only when I looked closely. If it got to that point on the catch can it should have got through the tube and the 'gauze', so only the vacuum from the intake stopping it from coming through.

I tried blowing through mine after I put it together, there was little pressure against that though

Either way, that's far more oil than I was expecting! Think mines running a tad smoother, (but probably psychological! Have seen videos of fixit sans (which is fitted with a catch can with the mini filters) and a surprising amount of gas came out the top!

Suspect a new topic needs to be started ( already discussing in the upgrade section)

Edit: wrote a guide with some pics on;
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=564921 (Oil catch can, how to)

159 1.9JTDM Ti and Giulietta 2.0 Veloce
ex: Punto 55s, Golf Mk5 1.4FSi, A3 (8P) Sportback 2.0TDi SE, A4 (B8) 2.0TDI S-Line, 306 HDI Meridian

Last edited by giblets46; 24-02-14 at 19:31.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooty156 View Post
A clay mitt!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ET9F0Q..._hpCctb1GH43M6

Is it this sort of thing? Never even heard of them! Do you think they're worth getting?
G3 one from halfords 12.99, I found it easier than using a clay bar
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post

...why? I hear you ask.

Its too restrictive! The mini one from Rutland Motorsport, or at least the particular one I have, is far too restrictive and caused a build up of pressure & backed up the oil vapour in the head which in tern caused it to smoke like a chimney!

I noticed after a 100 or so miles drive down south while stuck in traffic on the M25 on Friday evening. It looks like I was on fire from the drivers seat and from outside just looked like I had a blown engine.

Attachment 285409

I am sure a better can with greater airflow if fine but the design of that small one is too restrictive, or mine was faulty. Either way, I just reconnected the hose with a 15mm solder ring for about 2 so no big deal to fix

Attachment 285425
That looks like a water separator used on industrial compressed air systems.....
AO Member

County: Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by R159 View Post
That looks like a water separator used on industrial compressed air systems.....
+1 , that's exactly what it is. A water separator for a compressed air line.

Paul
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Is supposed to be a pretty effective oil separator too. Rutland Motors | The small oil catch tank
AO Member

County: Essex
Quote:
Is supposed to be a pretty effective oil separator too. Rutland Motors | The small oil catch tank
It will be as long as the motive flow is sufficient through the trap
AO Member

County: South Australia
Hole in air conditioner high pressure pipe

My wife took her 159 2.4 JTDM Sportwagon into our Alfa mechanic today because the air conditioner suddenly started running warm. It turns out that the cause was that the tupperware engine cover has, over time, worn a hole in the aluminium high pressure pipe due inadequate clearance being engineered into it. Our mechanic is going to dremel the cover and possibly raise it a bit higher to prevent it reoccurring. This sort of thing should not happen in my opinion and is a good example of accountants having too much say in car design. It is going to cost money to have the pipe replaced and the system re-gassed. I hate tupperware on engines and wish they still made Alfa engines to look beautiful like the 3.2 V6 in my GT. Last year the cover wore through a rubber hose coming from the turbo. The trouble is that you don't know what is going on under there. I daresay the company accountants see cost saving as a beautiful thing and to them extravagances like chrome intakes and neat layouts are ugly. Curses on them I say!

Current Alfas:
2004 GT 3.2 V6, Grigio Stromboli
2008 159 ti 2.4 JTDM Sportwagon, Grigio Stromboli
1989 75 3 litre V6, black
1988 75 3 litre, red, (son's car now)
2000 156 TS 2 litre, Cosmos Blue, (daughter's car)

Last edited by oz3litre; 25-02-14 at 10:08.
AO Member

County: Devon
Quote:

...why? I hear you ask.

Attachment 285409

Attachment 285425
I bought one of them just after Christmas thinking it was an easier solution than getting one and modifying it from ebay. Also I assumed easier to fit........ though I haven't got round to fitting it yet but now I'm not sure I'll bother if that's all it collected and its causing problems.

Oh and in keeping with the thread... had to replace a glow plug the weekend.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:

Attachment 285425
Seems, like you are not the only one, also in the thread below, one of the guys has the same catch can as you (Edraven on pg2), and had identical issues, seems to have fitted some sort of gauze which has resolved the issue:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tunin...catch-can.html

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today