What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 70 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

AO Member

County: Pest
changed the broken oil filter housing, changed engine oil, gearbox oil, air filter... this, and the timing belt, auxiliary belt, coolant pump, and pullies replacement 2 days ago really transformed the car into brand new again. all little noises gone, everything is back to silky smooth! happy owner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Pest
forgot the most important thing! tightened the loose gearknob and resprayed the insert to the original matte silver, as the PO scratched it with his wedding ring.
AO Member

County: Anglesey
Quote:
Originally Posted by giftorm View Post
Nice one! How did you get the armrest off? I need to change me leather also
Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post
Looks better than I was expecting, where did you get it?

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
Thanks lads, I got it of fleabay, there are 2 different types apparently, they sent me the wrong one to begin with but the second one fitted just fine, here's the link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/red-stitch...item519dc9f56b

Fitting is easy, 2 T15 torx to remove the armrest, pull the whole thing out, drill out the rivets, twist the top 90 degrees to remove the forward clip and it comes off. It only took about 20 mins to do, but gluing and waiting took 24 hours before I put it back in the car. I steamed the corner around the handbrake to get it to fit correctly, but it isn't noticeable.

Glad you like it guys

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”

― Alan Greenspan
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Changed the Pollen filter, tried a new type of spray lube on my squeaky drivers seat, greased up my sticky shifter with the new lube and treated all the door rubbers with a silicon based rubber treatment ready for winter. Then took it to the local hand car wash for a clean.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Today I broke my passenger side wiper blade....
Got in the car at work, wiped the front screen but the wipers would not stop, switched the ignition off then restarted and off they went again...hate these auto wipers! tried to clean the sensor without switching the car off again (idiot) and caught the blade, which broke into lots of bits while the wipers carried on doing their own thing.
They stopped eventually on the way home, so now I've got to work out how to disable them (sure I've seen a thread on here)
(Post Link) post #1731 of 5113 Old 06-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
There is a how-to thread for disabling the wipers. Some owners seem to have no problems if the screen is nice and clean and the wiper blades are ok, guess you've tried this already.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...n-a-159-a.html
Regional Representative
For South Central - AOSC

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

I like my auto wipers, i think they're fun, you never know how fast they are going to go and they always change thier mind.
Regional Representative
For South Central - AOSC

Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

I drove my 159 to work today

Had to park in the other car park tho so I can't see it out the window at my desk
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener123 View Post
I like my auto wipers, i think they're fun, you never know how fast they are going to go and they always change thier mind.
I have to say I find this hilarious, 2 of my 3 cars (running cars!) have auto wipers, the 159 and the 407. Both are a PITA, but the 159 really takes the biscuit by having the stalk set up all backwards and some secret handshake way of turning the auto function off. On the 407 it just goes off, auto, 1, 2 and down for a single wipe. I couldn't tell you how it works on the Alfa, and I drive it everyday. The 407 belongs to my mrs
(Post Link) post #1735 of 5113 Old 06-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

The Alfa stalk is an upside down version of the Pug

Mine? Got the temporary replacement crappy Denso glow plug out and put a proper Beru in. Starts better, even though the Denso is fully working...
AO Member

County: Vila Real
Garage
You guys gotta try the auto thingies on a fully loaded recent audi a6 series, my oh my, oh my... nearly sold my soul to sit my behinds on one of those forever...
Regional Representative
For South Central - AOSC

Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean159 View Post
I have to say I find this hilarious, 2 of my 3 cars (running cars!) have auto wipers, the 159 and the 407. Both are a PITA, but the 159 really takes the biscuit by having the stalk set up all backwards and some secret handshake way of turning the auto function off. On the 407 it just goes off, auto, 1, 2 and down for a single wipe. I couldn't tell you how it works on the Alfa, and I drive it everyday. The 407 belongs to my mrs
really the alfa goes - Up 1 (single manual wipe), down 1 (Auto), Down 2 (stage 1 manual - its raining), down 3 (stage 2 manual - holy hell that's alot of rain)

As far as i know, ive not really used the manual settings since i like the auto
(Post Link) post #1738 of 5113 Old 06-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby159Beast View Post
You guys gotta try the auto thingies on a fully loaded recent audi a6 series, my oh my, oh my... nearly sold my soul to sit my behinds on one of those forever...
The more 'labour saving' devices that get crammed into the car*, the more I pine for my old Cinquecento!

*Well, apart from stereo and air con. That's just civilised!
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete McK View Post
There is a how-to thread for disabling the wipers. Some owners seem to have no problems if the screen is nice and clean and the wiper blades are ok, guess you've tried this already.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...n-a-159-a.html
Thanks for that..... and yes I have tried all the usual suspects to no avail.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener123 View Post
really the alfa goes - Up 1 (single manual wipe), down 1 (Auto), Down 2 (stage 1 manual - its raining), down 3 (stage 2 manual - holy hell that's alot of rain)

As far as i know, ive not really used the manual settings since i like the auto
I still leave them on auto, I paid for it, may as well use it There's something about the column stalks on the 159 that are all wrong to me, I think it is the shape, whose hands are square lol? The rounded one like the other cars I have are easier I find. Also who put the cruise too close to the indicators? That one gets me every time, the 407 is in the same place, but its mounted further forward so you don't catch it.

Meh, I also have an MR-2 so the stalks are the correct (for RHD) way round, and when all 3 cars are different THAT is when you have a problem Early mornings to work are very fun
Regional Representative
For South Central - AOSC

Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean159 View Post
I still leave them on auto, I paid for it, may as well use it There's something about the column stalks on the 159 that are all wrong to me, I think it is the shape, whose hands are square lol? The rounded one like the other cars I have are easier I find. Also who put the cruise too close to the indicators? That one gets me every time, the 407 is in the same place, but its mounted further forward so you don't catch it.

Meh, I also have an MR-2 so the stalks are the correct (for RHD) way round, and when all 3 cars are different THAT is when you have a problem Early mornings to work are very fun
Yeh i've indicated many times while trying to speed up
(Post Link) post #1742 of 5113 Old 07-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

It's worse when you're slowing on a slip road and press 'accelerate' to indicate right
AO Member

County: Surrey
Garage

Member car:

Alfa Mito

Taken delivery of my new Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 245/40R19 98 Y XL under 600quid for the 4 thought was pretty good!!?? Now to get fitted...
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu007 View Post
Taken delivery of my new Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 245/40R19 98 Y XL under 600quid for the 4 thought was pretty good!!?? Now to get fitted...
isn't the official size 235/40 r19?
AO Member

County: Surrey
Garage

Member car:

Alfa Mito

Quote:
isn't the official size 235/40 r19?
Yep but as a few on here and elsewhere I have gone for a slightly wider to give my alloys some better protection / better choice of tyres too

One of many threads:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-the-19-s.html
(Post Link) post #1746 of 5113 Old 08-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Along similar thinking I've just booked in for 4 x 235/45-17 for mine, standard size is 225/50-17. These are £20+ each cheaper
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester
Had 2 new front tyres fitted to match the 235/40/19 Michelin Pilot Sipersports which were put on the back last year.

Also removed the cables to get video output on the iPhone 5s on my Pioneer AVH-8400BT head unit. I don't use the functionality and prefer to have iPod/iPhone control via USB and steering wheel controls.

Also went back to the 8 LED side lights instead of the larger single LEDs as I was having issues with the resistor cables and the 8 LED lights have the resistors built in. Dropped the odd bulb into the headlight, but a great little "bendy grabber" from ebay for less than 3 quid got them out.

I have to book the first MOT now.
AO Member

Member car:

3 series (sorry)

New tyres on front for mot tomorrow, what will she blow without dpf, Wot will they say about no dpf, will they know anything, what is the meaning of life, these and other questions will be answered soon
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiefreak View Post
New tyres on front for mot tomorrow, what will she blow without dpf, Wot will they say about no dpf, will they know anything, what is the meaning of life, these and other questions will be answered soon
I'm in the same situation with no DPF. MOT due early Feb but I'm taking it in soon in case anything else needs doing and before DPF instructions are sent out in Feb.
AO Gold Member

County: Durham
New front grill badge delivered from a guy in Italy via Ebay, looks good quality.
Need a dry day to fit it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today