What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 69 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Got a set of roof bars, feet and a box from ebay and gumtree, mounted it all this weekend. Hoping to collect lots of presents in it over the next few days!!

box.jpg
Bruce100 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
Changed the oil and filter yesterday. It's only been 10k miles since the last change in July but I was shocked at the state of the oil filter! Half of it was crushed and collapsed. But it's all new and fresh with Fuchs Titan 5W40.
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
Bought the SW a set of Nokian WR A3's, was going to get Sessantas, but 4x Nokians at 172 each at tyreleader, work out 40 cheaper than Sessantas at 163 +a set of snowsox. Not particularly harsh winters here, but it was a no brainer and I'll buy some Sessantas in the spring.

So I have a set of Autosox for snow, brand new, still in original packaging, albeit a couple of years old (they were my Brothers, off his old 159). The size is 685, which will do 235 40 R19 (TI) Tyres/wheels and also 18" wheels off a 159.

These cost 65 plus 5 for signed for delivery, so I reckon 40 delivered/signed for (Uk Mainland only) is a fair price being aswell they're brand new. If you're interested please don't PM me, use alcooker1972@yahoo.com. Earliest I can probably post them is Friday.

GT 3.2 V6 - Q2, KONI FSD & EIBACH PROKIT, GTA REMAP, MICHELLIN PS3's, BMC CDA
159 SW 2.4JTDM TI - ALFATUNED, WIZARD BACK BOXES, KW V3 COILOVERS, NOKIAN WR A3/MICHELLIN PS3, PCA DYNAMICS ALIGNMENT.
(Post Link) post #1704 of 5114 Old 25-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Those tyre socks are amazing for getting you unstuck. Managed to get a RWD RX-8 through 4" of snow with them on!
AO Member

County: East Sussex

Member car:

159 (1.9 JTDm)

Burst off side front and damaged the off side rear tyre by clipping un unlit central reservation (last week actually)

Car was doing less than 40mph - i had it in nuteral and was trying to listen to eliminate suspect gearbox v driveshaft whine.

I am now whining about cost of 2 new tyres

Theres a lesson to be learned here I think !!

best

matt
AO Member

County: Rutland

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4

Tested my new odb cables and multiscan (just the free one at the moment), it worked, much data logging to be done just because I can
Regional Representative
For South Central - AOSC

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

can see my car out the office window beading nicely in the drizzle
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Washed it, waxed in & hoovered it out for the first time in 14 weeks

Plenty of stone chips needing attention
AO Member

County: Tyumen
changed right xenon bulb.
AO Member

County: Pest
repairing a 5cm paint flake on the front bumper.... sanded and filled, ready for some more sanding and priming and sanding and basecoating and clearcoating and blending and fine sanding and polishing :-) all fun....
it was a 1mm stonechip before I pressure washed it this morning... d'oh!
replacing timing belt, water pump and pulleys tomorrow
AO Member

County: Greater London
I was resisting posting, but I worked so hard on that car today, I figured I owed it to myself!

I put 250 wet miles on over the holiday (happy holidays everyone!) so I took it to the hand car wash this morning. Then I bought some black Turtle Wax, because I'd read that it was good for removing (covering?) hairline scratches. I should have gone to the gym, instead. Man, am I sore from all that rubbing.

Anyway, I put a nice shine on the Brera, but whoever said the black wax would cover scratches and chips must be working for Turtle Wax. I think after I use up the product (2 more shines?) I'll go to something clear. It was a bit like using shoe polish on a car.

The Brera is running great! I wish the brakes bit a bit quicker on the first application of the pedal. And, the steering is a bit more nervous than what I am accustomed to – got to pay attention. The bottle of Bars Leaks seems to have done the job on the radiator, the level has stopped dropping. It was really cold up north and the new battery fired the beast right up.

I think I can relax for a while...

County: New South Wales

Member car:

159 ti JTD

Took my 159 ti for a 850km dash to northern NSW. The trip took me 9.5 hours (with 2 quick stops) and the trip computer said I used 7.5 l/100km with an average speed of 89km/h. Good to give the old girl a good run after trundling around Sydney for months….now I need to get back without getting a speeding ticket….
AO Member

County: Armagh

Member car:

2.4 159 ti

purchased 2 new rear discs and pads, with some free brake grease, now just waiting for it to arrive
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Yesterday, took it on the Piston Heads South Wales run where it got lots of attention

I also stuck to the speed limit on the M4, honestly.....lol
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Thumbs Up

Had a bit of a maintenance session:

Took the bumper off to adjust the Headlights, change the sidelight bulbs & reprogram the Halo Headlights! Then while the bumper was off I took off the air-box and pulled out the K&N for a clean and recharge to finish off my service I started before xmas

IMG_20140101_150831.jpg

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I also fitted a new Brodit Pro Clip & Active Cradle for my Nexus 5 which looks mint next to the Pioneer

IMG_20140101_191447.jpg
AO Member

County: Vila Real
Garage
Hey, how do you take the bumper off? Theres this left side parking sensor which is driving me nuts as it's piking up the license plate and shouting away in collision rythm even if there's no obstacles nearby. It's overriding the read from the other sensors and causing a heck of a confusion inside the cockpit!!! Need to re-adjust it to the precise spot so that it can be alligned whit the bumper surface. I guess that someone touched it and now it's 3 or 4 mm inside the housing.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Bumper off is an easy task, if not a little fiddly!

There are 4 or 5 under-tray bolts / screws (essentially all of the ones on the front edge that look like they bolt into the bumper). Then there are 2 more bolts underneath the wings just in front of the arches. (these will be a combination of star drives and phillips or bolts depending on how much of a pig your under tray has been in the past to come off!)

20131127_092234.jpg

Once that lot is done you can move onto the wings. Start the engine and give the steering full left lock so you can easily access the right inner wheel arch. You will see 2 screws, typically Phillips, but they could have been changed during the life of the car. Remove these 2 screws. Where the bumper meets the wing on the inner arch there is an 8mm bolt facing directly upwards so crouch down to see it. Remove this as well.

20131127_091826.jpg

Now move the steering to full right lock and repeat the process for the 2 screws and 1 nut on the left wing.

Once that is done all that is left are the 4 star drive bolts on the top of the bumper, visible when the bonnet is open. Remove these and you are ready to release the bumper.

To release the bumper, from the inner arch, tap (hard) the edge of the bumper towards the front of the car as if you are trying to push it off. It will move a few mm and loosen slightly then you can pull it out towards you and it will come away several inches. Do this on both sides.

Once the sides are free you can lift the bumper over the bonnet release catch and it will all come forward and off the car easily.

20131127_092845.jpg IMG_20140101_150831.jpg

Trust me, it sounds harder than it is! Coxy showed me how to do this while his car was in bits and it really is very easy. It was even easier than taking the under tray off to clean the air filter as I could remove the whole air box with just one bolt and a pipe clip. This turned out to be useful as some of the bolts in the box were turning freely and needed a lot of effort to get out so it was much easier to do with the box on a bench rather than on the car from underneath!

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK

Last edited by JabawokJayUK; 02-01-14 at 07:55.
AO Silver Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Garage
AS pointed out bumper off is relatively straightforward - how I clean my air filter too.
And it lets you address any issues on corrosion and deterioration from within the front end
AO Member

County: Vila Real
Garage
Oh, i was hoping it was a litle bit more direct, as unplug and push up or down!!! Still, thanks for the reply whit photo reference and all, i will keep it as DIY guide for the future, whenever i got the right time frame and space for the operation. Thank you very much!
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.4 ti

Started my 159 2.4Ti and got EML and limp mode as a lovely New Year's gift !!!!
AO Member

County: Surrey
Patted my Brera affectionately on the behind while in the garage, as I'll be mostly driving the wife's Giulietta in this weather!
AO Silver Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Garage
Cleaned out the oil catch can (been on for 4000 miles) - not nice in there with gloopy mayo!
However, the pipe to inlet tract was clean so its doing its job
AO Member

County: Anglesey
Decided to sort out the god awful armrest and fitted a leather cover (something that should always have been there!) and gave it a good wash and vac and a qd top up

What do you reckon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2963.jpg (71.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2969.jpg (93.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2970.jpg (95.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2972.jpg (65.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2973.jpg (44.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2974.jpg (80.2 KB, 38 views)

County: Stockholm

Member car:

Alfa 159 Sw 2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean159 View Post
Decided to sort out the god awful armrest and fitted a leather cover (something that should always have been there!) and gave it a good wash and vac and a qd top up

What do you reckon
Nice one! How did you get the armrest off? I need to change me leather also
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean159 View Post

What do you reckon
Looks better than I was expecting, where did you get it?

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today