What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 68 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

AO Member

County: Nordjylland
Garage

Member car:

159 2,4 JTDm 210

DPF removed & modified my Fixitsan dongle to include that function as well...Cant feel any difference...But welcome cheap & better oil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Been for a joy ride today, now it's filthy, they seem to go hand in hand in this country.
Anyone else noticed that Ti wheels get dirty very quickly?
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Cleaned 600 miles of crud off her, well I didn't but my local polish boys did it's now back to red.

Mj
AO Member

County: South Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmik View Post
DPF removed & modified my Fixitsan dongle to include that function as well...Cant feel any difference...But welcome cheap & better oil
Blanking the EGR makes a big difference. Did it to our 2.4 and the turbo spools up almost instantly, just off idle, and the car feels much snappier. After doing a DPF clean, my mechanic ran a special cleaning system from the US through it first that takes about three hours with the engine at a fast idle. The system uses an additive in the engine oil, another in the fuel and a third that it runs through the intake at a controlled rate. We inspected the inlet with an endoscope camera before and after and it was heaps cleaner afterwards. It was full of black tarry crap before. Deleting the DPF won't make much difference with the inlet full of crap that will only get worse until the engine grinds to a halt. The other noticeable thing was that the engine was a lot quieter after the clean out, probably because the compression was raised when it was clogged up. I don't intend to delete the DPF because I expect it to take a lot longer to become blocked with the EGR blanked off. It was only 30% blocked anyway at 80,000 km, due to the long runs the car does every day and running a DPF clean is no big deal I think. The mechanic used the cleaner on another customer's car, (which only does short runs), a week before ours and he said it was so clogged up that if it wasn't for the turbo it wouldn't have run at all. I saw photos of the endoscope view and it was unbelievable. EGRs are bad technology in my opinion.

Current Alfas:
2004 GT 3.2 V6, Grigio Stromboli
2008 159 ti 2.4 JTDM Sportwagon, Grigio Stromboli
1989 75 3 litre V6, black
1988 75 3 litre, red, (son's car now)
2000 156 TS 2 litre, Cosmos Blue, (daughter's car)
AO Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret-ears View Post
Been for a joy ride today, now it's filthy, they seem to go hand in hand in this country.
Yup.....Cleaned my car the other week and now its filthy. With the alloys especially the back ones which I feel must be all the road salt spray thrown up from the front wheels.
Regional Representative
For South Central - AOSC

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret-ears View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waquer159 View Post
Yup.....Cleaned my car the other week and now its filthy. With the alloys especially the back ones which I feel must be all the road salt spray thrown up from the front wheels.
Mine is really dirty after a couple of longer trips recently, the road are filthy even after it has rained and washed it all away. must be the shape of the bonnet and the way the air flows coz my bonnet has loads of streaks going right from the tip to the window - they look like scratches but its just mucky water marks from the road.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
A friend of mine pointed out that the wheels on a Ti are spoked at 90 degrees to the hub where as all the cars that I have owned so far have had spokes in line with the hubs.
Now that you mention it........
AO Silver Member

County: Toliman
Got it up and running after the top end rebuild.
Had the alignment done, Michelin Pilot Super Sports fitted and my Head light aligned after the Halo conversion units were fitted.

Drove home with the biggest silly grin ever !
(Post Link) post #1684 of 5115 Old 17-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
How do you rate the tyres?
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

Spider

Washed my girl in not very nice weather to the amusement, I expect, of the neighbours. Well, she had about 300 miles of rain, fog and road grit on her.
AO Silver Member

County: Toliman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete McK View Post
How do you rate the tyres?
Their a bit new and still covered in release agent yet and its a bit to cold to give a true judgement yet, but all signs are are very very positive. You have to remember these are a highly biased +8 degrees C summer tyre and I've only fitted them due to a egg on NSF tyre and was really saving them ready for next spring/summer.

I'm just having a set of 17" wheels refurnished and fitted with Pirelli Sotto Zero Winter ready to swap over once the first gritter is sent out as I really don't want to run the Prodrives through winter.

The "Alfatune" full works
60mm Core Full size RS500 FMIC
AEM W/M Injection
Koni struts / Novitec springs
Grooved & Dimpled discs and pads
19" Prodrive wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Halo's HID's & LED's
Hub dyno'd at well over 500lbft at the wheels ! and that's limited.
Thats over 750 Nm for you figure fiddlers
(Post Link) post #1687 of 5115 Old 17-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Cool, cheers. I had to do a sizeable no.11 in the RX-8 to scrub in a new pair a couple of years ago.

Winter tyres do make a massive difference, good call.
AO Member

County: Essex
Washed her , 30 min italian tune up prior to MOT , , 2 x new kuhmo ecsta sports fitted , sailed through ,blew 2.55 which i'm reasonably happy with but was hoping a bit lower , regular rhino in the tank , ahm remap dpf delete and blank egr , think i need to get into the inlet an give it a clean
AO Member

County: Rutland

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4

Wash, polish and wax, a bit cold for it though... Trying to get the wax off as the air temp dropped to 5c was not easy, condensation started to form 10 mins after finishing.

Oh and made my first post on AO
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Spent the day at Autolusso having a few jobs sorted before xmas that were slightly beyond my skill set / tools such as removing a seized under-tray that was stopping me cleaning my K&N filter, grrr.

Anyway, while it was in, Ned had the technicians change my 2nd Generation Powerflex bushes that squeaked from time to time to the latest 4th Generation bushes with the new nylon washer design that stops the squeaks.

Free of charge I might add...

I expected it to feel exactly the same but it was a more refined ride on the way home with an almost gliding feeling, these 4th Gen bushes are the nuts!

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
AO Member

County: Greater London
Fitted a new battery. The 2008 Brera hadn't been started for three days, and I think it still had the original battery in place. DEAD. The recovery vehicle driver (Dave, Cedar Assist, SE1) was a star and gave me the card of an Alfa service guy he knew in Clapham. In fact, he phoned the guy to tell him I'd be coming. When I got there (Firela Motors, 354 Clapham Road, SW9) they dropped everything and fitted a new Bosch battery and made sure the alternator was charging correctly. Painless, if inconvenient.

We (fortunately) can complete our intended trip tomorrow. And, hopefully, the "new" car will be reliable now.
AO Member

County: Tyumen
Not today but in the last week i changed thermostat.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by R159 View Post
Wash, polish and wax, a bit cold for it though... Trying to get the wax off as the air temp dropped to 5c was not easy, condensation started to form 10 mins after finishing.

Oh and made my first post on AO
Booked mine in for a rolling road run tomorrow, and got it totally lathered in muck in Nottingham
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 SV "S"

Ordered a new bulb off eBay last night as I'd noticed one of my rear brake lights had gone. Driving into work this morning I got a message on my dash telling me the same bulb had gone. Textbook Alfa, better late than never.
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Fitted new tyres, at last (great deal from amc_uk76 on here thanks again), cleaned the wheels inside and out and gave them a coat of polish for protection. Also got around to replacing the glow plugs as I was getting the glow plugs not available message. All good and set for winter. (hopefully!!). Got the glow plugs of ebay only £10.50 each compared to local factors £60 + V.A.T. for the set, so save a few quid there, which I needed to as the bill for the gearbox is still smarting.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Tap it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brera_Matt View Post
Ordered a new bulb off eBay last night as I'd noticed one of my rear brake lights had gone. Driving into work this morning I got a message on my dash telling me the same bulb had gone. Textbook Alfa, better late than never.
Tap the bodywork around the light mine sometimes says bulb is out and a few taps and it comes back on

Mj
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1398
new pads and discs all round after recent MoT advisories on sticking pads !!
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
I've absolutely ragged the shyt out of it to try and get to know it. The main thing I've discovered is it's quick.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by R159 View Post
Booked mine in for a rolling road run tomorrow, and got it totally lathered in muck in Nottingham
Well an interesting day.... Firstly in doing some prep for the rolling road, thought I'd dropped a jubilee clip into the inlet of the turbo, which after much spannering hadn't happened. Still not found it

On to the rolling road, power wasn't what I expected at 218bhp, but the torque was 380 ft/ib with a nice flat curve.

Some interesting comments from the mechanic who had never put an Alfa on the rollers:

5cyl sounded good
Was worried about wheel spin so took it steady for the first few goes - so was I as its got winter tyres on...
The inter cooler efficiency was a lot better than a lot of VAG stuff he runs.
Checked for any fault codes didn't find any, but I wasn't expecting any either
Confirmed that the strange boost drop I have at 2000rpm at light throttle is in the map not the car.

Tomorrow I will mostly be fitting the egr blanking plate which arrived too late to fit before having to shoot over to the garage

All torque
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4

Well fitted the blanks (did both the square and round holes), apart from giving my hamstrings a good stretching found that there was already a blank in. Judging by the crap on the dirty side it's a good job, but it doesn't help me with solving the boost surge or drop problems mentioned above...

Last edited by R159; 21-12-13 at 21:06.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today