What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 65 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

159 3.2 Q4 Lusso

Seen pics of mine from an angle I was hoping I'd never see

Slipped cam chain thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #1602 of 5115 Old 14-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Nasty, hope it's back with you soon.

Got my new boot lid fitted. This one's Stromboli Grey rather than Vesuvio Grigio, but I'll get it sprayed up.

Don't suppose anyone needs a Vesuvio Grigio boot lid with a dent in, frame/structure still ok?
AO Member

County: Bratislava
Today I have succesfully removed burnt LEDs from side lights, changed brake discs and pads, had oil and other fluids changed and all filters as well, and had suspension tested.
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
Got the Spider up on stands and have treated the front subframe with a full POR 15 works. What amazing stuff, if very messy! Will do the rears tomorrow. Really need to change the oil aswell, only got it done 10k ago but it's looking very dark....?
AO Member

County: Nordjylland
Garage

Member car:

159 2,4 JTDm 210

It was past midnight before i washed my hands last 24 hours ago..After changing the lower arms to new KWM“s, with powerflex-modified rear bushes...Started at approx 1100!

Ill never ever! do that job again without a lift :-D Geting one of the bolts out underneath (22 mm top), took me alone 35 mins...& 2 on-site adapted extenders to fit in the clearance i had..Never been swearing & sweattalking so much to a car in my life before while doing it..Until i realised i was wearing my earplugs...So neighbours prob. had a good laugh for those 35 mins :-D

On top of it, although my local garage deemed the top bushes in perfect condition, the car still pulls a bit to the right under braking, so guess only thing left can be the bushes on the topleg...So they need to be changed as well...But not until my battered body has recovered & past my upcomming 2 week tour offshore...At least the torque-steering is completly gone after changing to powerflex, and she steers where you want her to steer, even without a wheel-alignment that i hadnt had the time for today :-)

Also changed brakefluid...bit more than 1 liter in total...Surpriced when a burst of air suddenly came through, no whonder the braking was a bit odd every now & then
AO Silver Member

County: Toliman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmik View Post
It was past midnight before i washed my hands last 24 hours ago..After changing the lower arms to new KWM“s, with powerflex-modified rear bushes...Started at approx 1100!

Ill never ever! do that job again without a lift :-D Geting one of the bolts out underneath (22 mm top), took me alone 35 mins...& 2 on-site adapted extenders to fit in the clearance i had..Never been swearing & sweattalking so much to a car in my life before while doing it..Until i realised i was wearing my earplugs...So neighbours prob. had a good laugh for those 35 mins :-D

On top of it, although my local garage deemed the top bushes in perfect condition, the car still pulls a bit to the right under braking, so guess only thing left can be the bushes on the topleg...So they need to be changed as well...But not until my battered body has recovered & past my upcomming 2 week tour offshore...At least the torque-steering is completly gone after changing to powerflex, and she steers where you want her to steer, even without a wheel-alignment that i hadnt had the time for today :-)

Also changed brakefluid...bit more than 1 liter in total...Surpriced when a burst of air suddenly came through, no whonder the braking was a bit odd every now & then
Sounds like you had a bit of a nightmare it took me just over a hour to refit both my lower arms.

If its only pulling to one side under braking I suggest you need to strip and clean your front callipers. Pulling to one side under braking suggests a seized or sticking brake pad.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2,4 JTDm 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy1 View Post
Sounds like you had a bit of a nightmare it took me just over a hour to refit both my lower arms.

If its only pulling to one side under braking I suggest you need to strip and clean your front callipers. Pulling to one side under braking suggests a seized or sticking brake pad.
One hour...Thanks mate :-D I could see that the arms had been off before, due to the about of coppergrase on the bolts...But must have been done by a guy that heard of the expression "torque"...Maybe beside...Unlimited :-D And lying underneath the car with perhaps 30 cm of clearence...I tell you, i had my fun :-D Beside that, the nuts & bolts for the rear bush was a real pain, cause i could only reach them from the outside..

The car seems to brake fine & equally, up to a point when breaking really heavy, then it starts pulling a bit to the right..I wont eat my hat on it..Or whatever you guys eat over there when humiliated ;-) but sure feels like suspension giving in...My former Kia had a bit of it, and was the front bushes in the arm...But only left on this is the 2 top bushes...And they sure dont look like a 6 hour job pr side...More like 1 our pr. side..Even in my driveway :-D
AO Silver Member

County: Toliman
Have you checked to see if you have any play in the steering track rods ? I when through two in about 6 months both on the same side there is a damper built in the arm which just failed, this then gave me about a 5-7mm movement which made the front do funny things under acceleration and braking.

Just to cheer you up it took me a couple of hours to get the arms off to start with as I don't think they have ever been changed from new but next to no time to refit the new ones. It was made easier as my car is about 800mm off the floor no front brakes fitted and the subframe loosened as I've had the sump off.

The "Alfatune" full works
60mm Core Full size RS500 FMIC
AEM W/M Injection
Koni struts / Novitec springs
Grooved & Dimpled discs and pads
19" Prodrive wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Halo's HID's & LED's
Hub dyno'd at well over 500lbft at the wheels ! and that's limited.
Thats over 750 Nm for you figure fiddlers
AO Member

County: Essex
i was cleaning my brera today, carefully doing round the mirrors, put my key on the passenger seat... 10 mins later closed the door, and boom, lock! bugger.... only have 1 key.

so after making up a tool out of some brake pipe and a coat hanger, i managed to press the boot release button! woo... only took an hour

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps45b06941.jpg
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2,4 JTDm 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy1 View Post
Have you checked to see if you have any play in the steering track rods ? I when through two in about 6 months both on the same side there is a damper built in the arm which just failed, this then gave me about a 5-7mm movement which made the front do funny things under acceleration and braking.

Just to cheer you up it took me a couple of hours to get the arms off to start with as I don't think they have ever been changed from new but next to no time to refit the new ones. It was made easier as my car is about 800mm off the floor no front brakes fitted and the subframe loosened as I've had the sump off.
Thanks, really appreciate your input, hope i can help back one day :-) I picked up my kids yesterday, so will wait till after the weekend...Where she also needs to get her MOT...But yes, could only imagine that 5-7 mm of play there would make it an "interesting" car to drive & will def. give the wheels a little push/pull once the 3 of them isnt here anymore :-) could imagine it would show up in a more brutal way than when i brake & it from a certain point of brakinghardness starts pullling..Not a lot, or to a dangerous level, but...Annoying :-)

I actually really enjoyed getting back underneath a car after 5 years of almost no-touch on my Kia...So no need to cheer up, although appreciated ;-)..Its a hobby for me and hobby includes challenges...This was a good one :-) I also learned not to trust Elearn, but just use it as a reference instead...Foglight procedure was totally off, and so was this...Absolutely no need for disconnecting the steering-balljoint as stated in there, just as an example...Must be engineers that had made the procedures, without testing IRL before release :-)
AO Member

County: South Australia
I took the 159 2.4 JTDM Sportwagon to my wonderful Alfa mechanic for servicing and intake system cleaning yesterday. My wife drives this car on her daily 60 km commute, that includes steady cruising at 60 or 80 KPH on the expressway, so it gets a good run every day. It has currently done 82,000 km. The mechanic ran the DPF clean process with his computer, which didn't take all that long. It was 38% blocked. He pulled off the EGR valve and the photos below show the nasty state it was in. He then poked his endoscope camera down the intake and in between cleaning the black gunk off the lens we could see the build up in there too. The EGR valve was then taken off and cleaned and put back on for the cleaning procedure. The square gasket was the original one with the large square hole.

My mechanic recently purchased a special diesel cleaning system from the US that connects to the EGR intake and runs a cleaning agent through the intake system with the engine running. You also put an additive in the engine oil and another in the fuel tank. It takes something like three hours to go through the process, which runs automatically and creates a fair bit of smoke. It also goes through the DPF and gives that a further clean. After it was finished you could see shiny metal in the intake. It doesn't clean it absolutely perfectly, but it is vastly better than before. I gave him the go ahead to make two EGR blanking plates out of aluminium, to disable the damn thing. I have done extensive reading on this site on the subject and passed the info onto my mechanic, so we both have a very good handle on it. We are going to monitor the condition of the intake in twelve months time, but we expect it to be far cleaner. For the time being we will ignore the warning if it comes up. The oil and filter were then replaced.

The engine was running much quieter afterwards and you could feel the increase in power and responsiveness. It will get even better after a few more starts, as the computer re-calibrates.

It seems to me that the EGR system is bad, undeveloped technology, forced upon the manufacturers by ignorant politicians. I think it can maybe make a small difference when the car is brand new and the system is nice and clean. As it inevitably starts to clog up in a fairly short time, then surely hydrocarbons increase due to poor combustion and the need to put your foot down more? Then more is produced in the DPF cleaning process which happens more often in lightly driven cars. The horrible gunk is a combination of the oil from the PCV and the dry soot from the exhaust and is baked by the heat, making it hard to remove. I am damned if I going to allow our lovely engine to be ruined by such a thing. As a mechanic myself, I can't bear to see that sort of crap in my engine. Perhaps one day a manufacturer will come up with a system that doesn't cause those problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 159 EGR port.jpg (92.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 159 EGR.jpg (87.7 KB, 24 views)

Current Alfas:
2004 GT 3.2 V6, Grigio Stromboli
2008 159 ti 2.4 JTDM Sportwagon, Grigio Stromboli
1989 75 3 litre V6, black
1988 75 3 litre, red, (son's car now)
2000 156 TS 2 litre, Cosmos Blue, (daughter's car)
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

147 GTA

Is this applicable to the 3.2 V6?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havocwreaker View Post
Is this applicable to the 3.2 V6?
No, because petrol systems don't have EGRs. They do, however, have a PCV valve, (Positive crankcase Ventilation valve), which routes oil fumes from the crankcase through the air intake, to be burned off in the combustion chamber. Cars have had these since the 1970s. Prior to that they just ran a pipe from the rocker cover to exit under the engine, leading to the fumes going into the atmosphere. The PCV valve does result in a mist of oily stuff going into the engine, but being liquid, most of it burns off. It does eventually build up in the inlet manifold, especially on the somewhat horizontal ones in the Busso V6, but can be cleaned out by adding into the intake, some of the cleaning agent you can buy off the shelf, say every 12 months or so, to prevent it building up enough to cause restriction. The problem with the diesels is that the runny oily stuff from the PCV mixes with the dry soot from the EGR, (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve, creates a black paste which then hardens due to the extreme heat and is practically impossible to remove with a simple cleaner. It builds up much quicker than the oil in a petrol system. You wouldn't believe how badly clogged some of them get. It is a wonder the engine runs at all. It is a very flawed idea in my opinion. Some mechanics remove the inlet manifold and manually clean the crap out of the manifold and the cylinder heads, which can be a very expensive process.
AO Member

Member car:

147 GTA

My recently purchased 159 V6 has ~68,000 miles on it. Apart from typical schedules servicing, I don't think it's had any other preventative maintenance.

Any suggestions on what I should check out at this stage? I'm definitely going to clean the inlets now.
AO Member

Actually I was wrong about petrol engines not having EGRs. They do, but it is not as much of a problem in non direct injection engines like the TS and the Busso/Arese V6, as in the diesels. This thread talks about it:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-valve-v6.html
In engines with an inlet manifold, the fuel goes over the valve and helps to keep it clean. In direct injection systems, it goes straight into the chamber and more carbon builds up on the valve as a result. The JTS direct injection four cylinder engines have a problem with it too, but as I said, it is worse in diesels. This thread talks about the petrol engines:
ausalfa.com • View topic - JTSlow...
Others might be able to add to this info.
AO Silver Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz3litre View Post
Actually I was wrong about petrol engines not having EGRs. They do, but it is not as much of a problem in non direct injection engines like the TS and the Busso/Arese V6, as in the diesels. This thread talks about it:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-valve-v6.html
In engines with an inlet manifold, the fuel goes over the valve and helps to keep it clean. In direct injection systems, it goes straight into the chamber and more carbon builds up on the valve as a result. The JTS direct injection four cylinder engines have a problem with it too, but as I said, it is worse in diesels. This thread talks about the petrol engines:
ausalfa.com • View topic - JTSlow...
Others might be able to add to this info.
Its ******, petrols do not have EGR, they have a oil (full and partial throttle) recycle but EGR is D nor P,
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2,4 JTDm 210

Had front-bumper off, due to change of headlamp-bulbs...1. Car ever where my fingers simply couldnt get to the release the springs...Found 2 old bulbs behind it :-D got my foglams adjusted, fixed the clamp for the airduct, where it goes into the turbo-inlet...Bit of oil coming out there, from vent, so couldnt be really tight.

& finally removed the "old" tuningbox..Actually brand new, but the one that was mounted when i bought her i a bit more discrete in its way of delivering the stuff :-)

Ready for MOT tomorrow...I hope :-)
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Decided to catch up on a couple of outstanding maintenance jobs:
  • Spray greased all the suspension bushes front & rear with Wurth HHS 2000
  • Rotated front wheels to the rear & rear to the front to keep wear even
  • Greased my squeaky drivers seat with 3in1 Spray White Lithium grease (internal metal components)
  • Greased the squeaky pillar trims between the front and rear doors with 3in1 PTFE based dry lubricant where the plastic trim meets the rubber door seals
  • Treated all the rubber door and boot seals with 3in1 PTFE based dry lubricant to stop squeaks and groans from the doors

All in all a couple of hours for a much quieter ride inside & out!

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Drove mine to Croydon, again. Off to Preston on Friday, back home on Saturday evening.

800 miles or thereabouts.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa romeo 159

Had my front brake calipers repainted in red with the trademark "Alfa Romeo" words stamped at the sides. Replaced the brake pads and fog lights too.
AO Member

Fully cleaned and polished my Spider inside and out yesturday, the weather was glorious - if bloody cold!
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

159 3.2 Q4 Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwacko View Post
Had my front brake calipers repainted in red with the trademark "Alfa Romeo" words stamped at the sides. Replaced the brake pads and fog lights too.
DIY or did you have someone do it for you?
AO Member

Member car:

3 series (sorry)

Took day off to treat front subframe. Realised I'd lent my ramps to my mate, doh!! Did what I could by jacking car up onto some sleeper off cuts. Could I get some of the bolts out of the undertray, not without being a contortionist!!! Did all the exposed areas and dropped tray locally in areas as best I could. At least the main of its done, especially after seeing a gritter out last night!
To be fair it only had a couple of spots of surface rust although a bit worse on back edge where air con condense pipe discharges. All rubbed down, hammerited and then waxoyl sealant applied.
Also had my first supply of rhino arrive, just to ensure she gets best possible chance at mot smoke test looming.
Quite a productive day to be ruined by my daughter throwing open my wife's car door and putting a inch long gouge in the drivers door...!!! Grrrrrrrr

Roads??......Where were going we don't need...Roads!!
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
On way to work without realising I got a puncture - noticed when I parked that it looked a little low, an hour later it was flat. Luckily local mobile fitter could sort it. Had to replace a conti 3 with a nankang. Now have 2 accleras, a nankang and a conti 3.
AO Member

Took delivery of my Osram Night Breakers but far too cold out to be mucking about.
Technically a 'what haven't you done to your 159 today'

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today