What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 63 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
New front right tyre, was noted it was worn on the inside edge during my MOT, tracking was at -8 (other side was at -2 which had been set), so a large pot hole somewhere!
Was down to the canvas, so glad that is sorted (17k miles on the pair, other side is at 3.5mm)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Vila Real
Garage
Picked it up after a week long pre-winter check up at the local tech. Thing is: Clutch, Gearbox,Dmf, Dpf, Egr, HP diesel pump, engine oil, have to go swapped on the nearest possible opportunity.
Might as well buy myself a new car...
AO Member

County: Surrey
Other than the winter protection and new glow plugs, I decided to take a look at the battery as, whilst it seemed fine, was getting a little hesitant on startups during colder conditions.

Had it changed but had an incredulous moment when I looked at the battery I'd taken out...90Ah, 440A...!!! Surely some mistake? The new one I put in was a 760A one and even the place I bought it from had told me it didn't look right.

Anyone else come across a diesel with what looks like a petrol-engine battery?
AO Member

Put her in for a few minor bodywork repairs and associated respraying at Bailey's Coachworks, New Malden. Picking her up tomorrow, so fingers crossed. Had a chat with Michael, the owner, who's been doing it for donkeys' years. We talked about how paint technology had come on over the years - what makes the real difference is not necessarily the paint itself, but the lacquer. You can pay £50 to £500 a litre - depending on whether it's got UV filters, whether it's scratchproof 'ceramic' or not, etc. (No lacquer is completely scratchproof, mind.) Steel panels, however, have got much thinner. Whereas in the past, you'd stand a chance of repairing a dent by just panel beating it out, now you need filler due to the thinness of the steel.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsky View Post
Put her in for a few minor bodywork repairs and associated respraying at Bailey's Coachworks, New Malden. Picking her up tomorrow, so fingers crossed. Had a chat with Michael, the owner, who's been doing it for donkeys' years. We talked about how paint technology had come on over the years - what makes the real difference is not necessarily the paint itself, but the lacquer. You can pay £50 to £500 a litre - depending on whether it's got UV filters, whether it's scratchproof 'ceramic' or not, etc. (No lacquer is completely scratchproof, mind.) Steel panels, however, have got much thinner. Whereas in the past, you'd stand a chance of repairing a dent by just panel beating it out, now you need filler due to the thinness of the steel.

Hi mattsky

I live in new Malden and of course need the front of mine resprayed to take it back to red instead of red with white primer dots everywhere

so do please post pics and tell us what you think price /quality wise how it goes as I want to use someone local and recommended.

Mj
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Alfa Mito

Mattsky - I'd be interested too how you got on with Bailey's coach works
AO Member

I've used Wedd & Whytes in New Malden in the past...they've been pretty good.
AO Member

OK, will post the verdict on Bailey's here. Funnily enough, I went to Wedd & White too (or 'Utterly Sh*te' as I've come to know them) but experienced really poor customer service - in that I provided the 'customer' bit, but they failed to provide the service. Basically, I filled in a contact form, a technician took a look round the car, and said they'd get back to me. Two months and three phone calls later, I gave up on them. Hopeless.The world is peppered with timewasters, I'm telling you! Nice to hear there are a couple of fellow Alfisti nearby, mind.

Last edited by Mattsky; 30-10-13 at 12:27.
AO Member

Right. The Bailey's Coachworks results are in. And they're...bloody good. Excellent paint match; there are two 'recipes' to Stromboli Grey - who knew? They picked the one that matched best, and because 'spot' painting was not possible, they had to respray entire panels, and blend the lacquer across existing paint. Seamless. The front bumper had four or five deep scratches in it, which have been filled and painted, a small dent near the rear light cluster was beaten out and filled, and a scuff to a rear wheel arch was repaired too. Seamless. Michael's a nice chap and knows his onions. And his paint. Highly recommended.
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Had a very long round trip to the North West today, partly for work, but mainly for pleasure and got to meet the legend that is Gus @ Alfatune who had been working with Adam at TDI Turbo's to make me this

Meet my new toy

20131030_172814_resize.jpg 20131030_172830_resize.jpg
20131030_172917_resize.jpg 20131030_172953_resize.jpg

She's a GTB2056 completely rebuilt from scratch by Adam at TDI Turbos

The original turbo was in a fairly poor state with the shaft had broken and the compressor end (compressor wheel, seal plate and compressor cover) all fairly badly damaged as a result. The turbine end (turbine wheel obviously and VNT cover shroud) were also badly damaged and not to be used again.

Adam swapped over all the damaged bits for genuine Alfa 2056 replacements from a spare unit he had in stock and got them all cleaned up. All the consumable parts (nuts, bolts, o rings etc) were replaced along with the thrust kit and journal bearing that were all replaced with the best quality items that are available. The turbine side twin seals were replaced with racing stagger gap items so there should be zero chance of any oil seepage even with a large diameter or low back pressure exhaust systems

The compressor wheel was upgraded to the latest technology 5 axis machined from solid billet item. The advantage of this over standard is that although it is the same diameter and inducer size, it uses extended tips and has slightly taller blades meaning it can flow and deliver the air a little better. Being that is is manufactured from aircraft grade Aluminium the nose, rear hub and core cone can be made slightly smaller reducing the weight slightly to keep spoolup keen.

The CHRA was assembled and sent out for VSR high speed balancing, and also the VNT mechanism (stop screw position) was calibrated on a flow bench.

Its not going on the car just yet as I am stockpiling all the "Stage 3" mods including decat pipe (picked up today also):

20131030_173227_resize.jpg

... full Alfatune exhaust, 60mm core RS500 FMIC & Airbox mods + a full custom rolling road map from Gus.

Its going to take me a few months to stockpile and prepare everything but its time to push the limits of the QTRONIC

Its not going to be a clogz or JB level, but these mods should take me to the 290's and put me in the same ballpark as Coxy

Treading in the footsteps of giants....

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsky View Post
Right. The Bailey's Coachworks results are in. And they're...bloody good. Excellent paint match; there are two 'recipes' to Stromboli Grey - who knew? They picked the one that matched best, and because 'spot' painting was not possible, they had to respray entire panels, and blend the lacquer across existing paint. Seamless. The front bumper had four or five deep scratches in it, which have been filled and painted, a small dent near the rear light cluster was beaten out and filled, and a scuff to a rear wheel arch was repaired too. Seamless. Michael's a nice chap and knows his onions. And his paint. Highly recommended.
Thanks I might pay him a visit, he only around the corner

Mj
AO Silver Member

County: Toliman
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Had a very long round trip to the North West today, partly for work, but mainly for pleasure and got to meet the legend that is Gus @ Alfatune who had been working with Adam at TDI Turbo's to make me this

Meet my new toy

Attachment 237450 Attachment 237458
Attachment 237466 Attachment 237474

The original turbo was in a fairly poor state with the shaft had broken and the compressor end (compressor wheel, seal plate and compressor cover) all fairly badly damaged as a result. The turbine end (turbine wheel obviously and VNT cover shroud) were also badly damaged and not to be used again.

Adam swapped over all the damaged bits for genuine Alfa 2056 replacements from a spare unit he had in stock and got them all cleaned up. All the consumable parts (nuts, bolts, o rings etc) were replaced along with the thrust kit and journal bearing that were all replaced with the best quality items that are available. The turbine side twin seals were replaced with racing stagger gap items so there should be zero chance of any oil seepage even with a large diameter or low back pressure exhaust systems

The compressor wheel was upgraded to the latest technology 5 axis machined from solid billet item. The advantage of this over standard is that although it is the same diameter and inducer size, it uses extended tips and has slightly taller blades meaning it can flow and deliver the air a little better. Being that is is manufactured from aircraft grade Aluminium the nose, rear hub and core cone can be made slightly smaller reducing the weight slightly to keep spoolup keen.

The CHRA was assembled and sent out for VSR high speed balancing, and also the VNT mechanism (stop screw position) was calibrated on a flow bench.

Its not going on the car just yet as I am stockpiling all the "Stage 3" mods including decat pipe (picked up today also):

Attachment 237482

... full Alfatune exhaust, 60mm core RS500 FMIC & Airbox mods + a full custom rolling road map from Gus.

Its going to take me a few months to stockpile and prepare everything but its time to push the limits of the QTRONIC

Its not going to be a clogz or JB level, but these mods should take me to the 290's and put me in the same ballpark as Coxy

Nice piece of kit that ! I love shiny new lumps of engineering. Once you get all the bits done and on the car you will most defiantly notice the difference.

I'm holding judgement on what Bhp my car produces until its been on the dyno, all I know is its really not wanting.
Let me get it all back together and ran in before I get it Dyno'd.

Last edited by coxy1; 31-10-13 at 16:17.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Alfa Mito

Mattsky - Thanks for the feedback on your work done Have a few stone chips but not bad enough yet to be done but was on my mind if needed doing!

See a very similar motor to yours often queuing in the traffic into putney in the mornings? not you is it?
(Normal fly past on a scooter into town haha)
AO Member

Glad I could help.
Putney? Nope, not me. Wonder if it's anyone on here? I try to avoid driving in London. Train and Tube for me usually. Scooter's very sensible, but I hope you ride it defensively. It only takes an idiot to open his door or pull out without looking.
I've some stone chips on the bonnet, and will look at getting that done sometime. It's a mahoosive bit of metal, mind, so it's not the cheapest to respray. We'd be looking at about £350 to £400.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1405
County: West Yorkshire
A long trip is always worth it if you get some nice turbo action out of it!

Very nice indeed - Thumbs up to Gus & Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post

Meet my new toy

Attachment 237450 Attachment 237458
Attachment 237466 Attachment 237474

Attachment 237482

(Post Link) post #1566 of 5114 Old 01-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Been looking for something to blacken up the plastics on the 159. Mine were going a little grey and looking a little old so had a search about found this stuff:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2512301521...84.m1439.l2649

It hasn't half improved the look of the mirror and door surrounds, the black under the headlights looks a lot better now too. It is expensive but allegedly lasts up to 2 years...

Oh, and fitted a new drivers side mirror glass. It was an ebay replacement and although the glass is thick and looks good, the plastic mount was in the wrong place so it had to come off and be repositioned...

Pete.

Make something idiot proof and someone will only go and build a better idiot...
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

Brera S

[QUOTE=Pete McK;6779650]Been looking for something to blacken up the plastics on the 159. Mine were going a little grey and looking a little old so had a search about found this stuff:

It hasn't half improved the look of the mirror and door surrounds, the black under the headlights looks a lot better now too. It is expensive but allegedly lasts up to 2 years...
/QUOTE]

Very interesting. I'd really like to do something about the trim that runs around the side windows. Is that the trim you are describing?

On my first Brera they were so grey I bought brand new ones. But that isn't cheap or an easy fit (or an easy thing to post!).

"Think of it as Angelina Jolie. You’ve heard she’s mad and eats nothing but wallpaper paste. But you would, wouldn’t you?” Jeremy Clarkson on the Brera
(Post Link) post #1568 of 5114 Old 01-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I'm not sure if I was supposed to, but I have treated all the door surround rubbers as well as the plastic trims. Looks a lot better, will see how things look after a few washes.
AO Member

County: Armagh

Member car:

2.4 159 ti

[QUOTE=MarcG;6779818]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete McK View Post
Been looking for something to blacken up the plastics on the 159. Mine were going a little grey and looking a little old so had a search about found this stuff:

/QUOTE]

Very interesting. I'd really like to do something about the trim that runs around the side windows. Is that the trim you are describing?

On my first Brera they were so grey I bought brand new ones. But that isn't cheap or an easy fit (or an easy thing to post!).
Have you not tried Baby oil? It'll work wonders on most plastic dashboards! Admittedly, I have not tried this on my alfa, but done it on many other cars (eg 2003 Fiesta, 2004 Mondeo) and it brings the dashboard up a treat, dunno how it would react for the outside trim though, worth a try as it's a cheap alternative!
AO Silver Member

County: Toliman
Quote:

Oh, and fitted a new drivers side mirror glass. It was an ebay replacement and although the glass is thick and looks good, the plastic mount was in the wrong place so it had to come off and be repositioned...
Have a look on the Chemical Guys site for this stuff

Chemical Guys Trim Gel - Plastic Rubber Trim Restorer - Car Care Tire Shine Black Trim Protection - YouTube

CJ Romeo recommended it last year. Its fantastic and the bottle will last for ever I only used about 10mm of the bottle all year, at this rate I'll never use it all.
(Post Link) post #1571 of 5114 Old 01-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

[QUOTE=Mags159ti;6779882]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcG View Post

Have you not tried Baby oil? It'll work wonders on most plastic dashboards! Admittedly, I have not tried this on my alfa, but done it on many other cars (eg 2003 Fiesta, 2004 Mondeo) and it brings the dashboard up a treat, dunno how it would react for the outside trim though, worth a try as it's a cheap alternative!
I'm wary of using peanut butter or baby oil etc., does it not feel oily or leave fingerprints in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy1 View Post
Have a look on the Chemical Guys site for this stuff

Chemical Guys Trim Gel - Plastic Rubber Trim Restorer - Car Care Tire Shine Black Trim Protection - YouTube

CJ Romeo recommended it last year. Its fantastic and the bottle will last for ever I only used about 10mm of the bottle all year, at this rate I'll never use it all.
Looks good, will maybe try a bottle of that next. The C4 is supposed to last for 'up to 2 years', I've done the whole car with less than half the 25ml bottle - could have used less if I'd planned it out a bit better.

Result on the roof rails:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c4.jpg (138.2 KB, 30 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
Garage
Had the spider remapped and DPF removed.
Transformed the driving experience and gives me better MPG whilst driving it hard... Can't loose
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Quote:

Found the same issue, a apparently the trick is to put the mount into position, then push the glass in

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
(Post Link) post #1574 of 5114 Old 01-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Good idea!
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Hi folks,
Yesterday my 159 was fitted with 2x rear tyres, front discs and pads, new thermostat (under warranty) new rear boot badge, black leather gear and handbrake gaiters with red stitching (£17 on E-bay) and finally and most importantly an Alfaowner.com window sticker.
I've included a picture of the handbrake gaiter, but not the gear lever one, as I'm in the process of removing all the silver trim to have it re-coated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0371 (Medium).jpg (93.9 KB, 48 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today