What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 210 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 873Likes

Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Avon
Picked mine up this afternoon from NJS Alfa Romeo in Pershore. Full service, cam belt, new intake manifold, MOT, and remap. On the bread and beans for a couple of months me thinks!
matty74 and Verbout like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
I bought my Alfa Romeo 159 in early December, got it back from the dealer this week with a new engine mount and wishbone. Drives so much more smoothly now!

To Do:
New badges (they're faded).
Fit an AUX or music streaming capable Bluetooth connection.
Refresh the interior trim, it's gotten quite groggy with ten years of use.
AO Member

County: Croston Lancs
Replaced my door mirror glass on both sides as they were a mess and Drivers side heat function was broke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty74 View Post
Replaced my door mirror glass on both sides as they were a mess and Drivers side heat function was broke

Driver's side is like that on mine. I probably should replace it.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezley View Post
Driver's side is like that on mine. I probably should replace it.

Yeah mine flagged up on Multiecuscan as faulty, suspected it for a while. 24 for the pair off eBay.

Top tip, fit the supplied clip to the wing mirror mechanism and then stick the glass in place afterwards, it's easier to align correctly that way. Spade connectors are a PITA too ... some WD40 wouldn't go a miss on them

MalcQV likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Office Chair.

I know mine is not working because the nearside clears with the rear windscreen heater on and the offside does not. The glass has started to delaminate at the edge too.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezley View Post
I know mine is not working because the nearside clears with the rear windscreen heater on and the offside does not. The glass has started to delaminate at the edge too.

That too

Club Member
Membro Premio

Just had a 4 wheel alingment. Rears as factory recommended and front toes set to zero. Hopefully this will stay off my rubbing inside tyre shoulder a little!
Club Member
Membro Premio

just passed the 100k miles mark....
lussoman likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
That too

Bought a new glass, now I'll have to fit it at some time I guess, along with at least one new caliper or refurb kit and I still have the other side rear spring to replace (to make it equal to the offside). It seems the front is knocking more than ever, I'll have to address it soon as it sounds like a wheel is going to fall off
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

Bye, bye Brera

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelunch View Post
Honestly, I couldn't be bothered trying to sell it myself. Webuyanycar offered 5,135 and I printed out their quote to take to the dealer. The dealer said we don't handle Alfas, so he went online and got three offers in five minutes for the car. It will probably be on Veloces' lot on Tuesday for 7K+.

My Brera had 31,700 miles, a small dent on the wheel well of the osf fender and aftermarket wheels. I was the third owner. It looked great when it was washed. I'll never own another black car. The new one's red.

AlfaJoe92: It does look alright! I'm not turning any heads, but I'm not ashamed to be seen in it, either.
If anyone is interested in my old Brera, it's listed on AutoTrader:
Alfa Romeo Brera 2.2 JTS SV 3dr

Buy a car, wash it (looks like they've spent some time on the upholstery) then sell it. 2,500 profit. I'll be curious to see how long it stays on the market.
AO Member

County: Greater London
Garage
9 years up and 4 since the last cambelt change so another one was due. So off to a 90,000 mile service at Alfa Workshop plus 4 wheel alignment as the tyre inside edges were wearing. Just a tad over the price of a small service at a main dealer I used originally. It is probably just me, but the handling feels just a shade sharper and I hope the tyres will now wear better.
AO Member

159 Service today at 86,360 miles. Engine fed with 5.4l Shell Helix Ultra 5/40 and Hengst filter, Gearbox oil swapped from 2.3l of Mobil1 SHC to 3l of Fuchs Sintofluid, New PCV membrane (original one was gunked up in 5000 miles after a thorough clean), Steering fluid reservoir syringed and refilled with GI/E and new spark plugs. Just brakes to be bled and pollen filter changed and we're ready for another Spring trip.
Time for a Peroni.
AO Member

County: Shropshire
Garage
Hopefully solved my smoking issue
Turns out that the swirl valve bushes were leaking, for the time being I have disconnected actuator arm put the swirl flaps to fully open position and sealed them in place with silicone sealant.
New inlet manifold due but will definitely be blanking off the swirl valves before fitting.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Finished tidying up the front nearside wheel arch.

In the summer I noticed that some paint had gone from the bottom of the wheel arch, the target for stones and grit kicked up by the wheel. This winter the wear accelerated to the point where bare metal was visible. So Friday started by rubbing down to remove rust, painting with primer (high build primer from alloy repair kit - not ideal but a good base), when dry a light wet and dry then a coat of Chipex Alfa Red (the Chipex kit is almost 2 years old so needs using up and buy afresh). Finally on Saturday masked up for a couple of spray coats with HD Lacquer (also left over from wheel refurb) to hopefully resist further erosion, and an 'After' pic today.

Quite pleased with myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 170226 Before.jpg (41.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 170226 Masked up.jpg (35.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 170226 After.jpg (39.3 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by ChrisH77; 26-02-17 at 20:11.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Replaced Thermostat & Coolant,Cleaned Throttle body & Engine Bay Earths and completed recon for the fitment of the Oil Catch Tank next weekend.
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Office Chair.

Not done but lost. It looks like my reversing sensors (or one of them) is slowly failing. Do these, like my previous GT, require bumper off for replacement?

If so I will have to start relying on my old fashioned "Yeah the back is about there". I only mentioned to my good lady on Saturday how useful reversing sensors are after fitting in a tight spot outside the Post Office. The car was not in earshot, the little barsteward, and I made sure of it
Currently on my list of things to do.
  1. Nearside rear spring replacement.
  2. Rear brake caliper refurb.
  3. Investigate clunking front suspension with a view to repairing myself or sending it away for repair.

Priorities I find, are usually someone else's.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDM

Solved issue of auto box not going into Park on my Qtronic! Gear shifter would not move beyond Reverse, have been living with it for a couple of weeks but having to remove the ignition key using the emergency release catch was getting frustrating. Took shifter trim assembly apart, whilst the trim was all removed I was able to move the shift lever into park quite happily. Traced issue to a small random piece of broken plastic that was jamming the release button mechanism and preventing it from fully depressing and thus not releasing the lock that prevents you moving it into Park. Relief!

Still got some random issues with auto-box, it doesn't always change up when I think it should regardless of whether I'm in normal, sport or winter mode, but it's going into Bianco Auto for a gearbox oil and filter change soon so will see if that makes any difference.

-Rod-
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
Not done but lost. It looks like my reversing sensors (or one of them) is slowly failing. Do these, like my previous GT, require bumper off for replacement?

If so I will have to start relying on my old fashioned "Yeah the back is about there". I only mentioned to my good lady on Saturday how useful reversing sensors are after fitting in a tight spot outside the Post Office. The car was not in earshot, the little barsteward, and I made sure of it
Yes, bumper off according to what I've read on here, and a PITA.
That's why I've been without mine for a few years now.
Furthermore, 2 local garages I've taken it to also can't be arsed to do it either.
The Spider's not the easiest car to reverse and park, but no scrapes so far...
Famous last words there!
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
Yes, bumper off according to what I've read on here, and a PITA.
That's why I've been without mine for a few years now.
Furthermore, 2 local garages I've taken it to also can't be arsed to do it either.
The Spider's not the easiest car to reverse and park, but no scrapes so far...
Famous last words there!
I did see a thread whereby you can disconnect the wire/plug from the reversing control module. That way the blasted message (I think) vanishes.
I hope to move it on next year and it'll be part exchanged or worth 2/10'ths of nowt so my plan is to fix what I have to until then.
I love 159's and the 2.4 is a gem but I don't think I bought the best car.

Incidentally, I did mention it on another thread but on Saturday I parallel parked in a lovely small space outside the Post Office. On my return I told my GF how useful parking sensors are. You can guess what happened the next time I went out in it..

Fingers crossed for you
lussoman likes this.
AO Member

County: -
Garage
Fixed a rattle.

I know these Italian beauties have many a rattle, but this one has been causing me to go insane.

Driving along at a certain speed or road surface a rattle appears, sounded like the door for some time and that's been off and deadened.

But it came back after each go at the door. Weirdly it stopped or changed as I moved my head around the cabin.

War and peace over... But behind the B pillar panel a small bar holds the seat belt back. It has a spring clip and is keyed but it was loose in the fixing and there is my rattle.

When i moved around looking for moise I must have pulled the belt and caused the bar to stop.

A blob of silicone on each end and I think my sanity is saved.

I swore it was in the door tho! (Literally)

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0292_1488219947161.jpg (52.1 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by 156_Grey_Veloce; 27-02-17 at 17:25.
AO Member

Fitted New Genuine Alfa Front Pads - They've been rattling around in my boot for weeks since I picked them up off eBay for 30 [Bargain]

The Rain Gods were kind, as were the Brembo Pin Gods ... but unfortunately the Tyre Gods were not and 4 New tyres will be done on Thursday, still can't complain, got 20k miles out of the set that are being replaced.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Fitted New Genuine Alfa Front Pads - They've been rattling around in my boot for weeks since I picked them up off eBay for 30 [Bargain]

The Rain Gods were kind, as were the Brembo Pin Gods ... but unfortunately the Tyre Gods were not and 4 New tyres will be done on Thursday, still can't complain, got 20k miles out of the set that are being replaced.
what tyres do you have on?/are you replacing with?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry92 View Post
what tyres do you have on?/are you replacing with?
Currently on Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's ... they were on offer on Tyreleader back in September 2015, and have been brilliant, even wear on all 4 corners, never thought i'd get that return.

I did go with a slightly wider option 245/40/R18 at the time, I know there's a few guys on here who run that size, but I want to go back to standard 235/45/R18.

I'm currently doing about 16k per year, so have decided not to spend big for them to only last 6 months, so I've gone for some Sailun Atrezzo ZSR ... 246.48 Fitted.

I read the reviews on Tyreleader and there wasn't any negativity towards them, 1 Review was from a 159 owner too, although not from on here I think.

Anyway, I'll see how they pan out ... won't take too long to form an opinion based on my daily commute, provided i'm not in a ditch somewhere off the M6

Previous Alfa's
1999 156 2.5 V6 Sport Pack 3 (190)
2004 GT 1.9 JTDm (150)

Current Alfa's
2007 Brera 2.4 JTDm SV (200)
2011 Guilietta 1.4 TB Multiair (170)

Also
1970 VW T2 Early Bay (50)
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
Not done but lost. It looks like my reversing sensors (or one of them) is slowly failing.
Two have failed. Nearside and the next one along. Fortunately the other two are functioning and the display not complaining (for the time being) which means I do nothing!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page