What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 198 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry92 View Post
Ah I see, I suppose you get to a point where the other components (fuel pump and rail pressure sensor) isn't sufficient for the demands you are now asking of it?

Seeing as you have overshot your target torque and hp then, does that mean that applying that plug and play hybrid turbo (and upgraded intercooler, if not quite your beast haha) means 300hp and 700nm torque is achievable without the host of other mods you have made?....decatting, new pipework etc etc?

of course the gearbox oil temperature still needs looking at in that case as you have done.

Im having my gearbox oil changed this weekend....i assume just standard specification oil is best? there is no 'upgraded' version?
Depends, i doubt you would safely acheive it without some of the basics, and the FMIC really should be part of that package as the stock one is quite restrictive. Speak to Ned, he will be able to sort you with a price for a 300 package. The gearbox is a must though!

I have tried a slightly thicker Fuches TITAN Pro oil and have now switched to a Millers Millmatic oil to see how that compaires. You need to do a flush not just a change though. it takes 20 liters of oil to flush the box using the "Gibbens Method".
Larry92 likes this.

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post
Replaced the broken side repeater and collected a fresh MOT, only advisory was a loose drop link on the rear suspension.

That'll be a cheap fix, if you DIY and have a grinder
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry92 View Post
Ah I see, I suppose you get to a point where the other components (fuel pump and rail pressure sensor) isn't sufficient for the demands you are now asking of it?

Seeing as you have overshot your target torque and hp then, does that mean that applying that plug and play hybrid turbo (and upgraded intercooler, if not quite your beast haha) means 300hp and 700nm torque is achievable without the host of other mods you have made?....decatting, new pipework etc etc?

of course the gearbox oil temperature still needs looking at in that case as you have done.

Im having my gearbox oil changed this weekend....i assume just standard specification oil is best? there is no 'upgraded' version?
We have ordered another hybrid turbo the same as on Jay's to fit to a 159 2.4 we own, we are going to try it first without the FMIC to see how it behaves, we will post the results

Ned
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Herefordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso View Post
We have ordered another hybrid turbo the same as on Jay's to fit to a 159 2.4 we own, we are going to try it first without the FMIC to see how it behaves, we will post the results

Ned
ah sweet, i'm intrigued and will definitely keep an eye out for the results

as an aside, what brake fluid do you recommend for the PF pads Ned? Bought some from you via ebay the other day and getting them fitted next week. Got EBC red stuff for the rear. cheers
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Depends, i doubt you would safely acheive it without some of the basics, and the FMIC really should be part of that package as the stock one is quite restrictive. Speak to Ned, he will be able to sort you with a price for a 300 package. The gearbox is a must though!

I have tried a slightly thicker Fuches TITAN Pro oil and have now switched to a Millers Millmatic oil to see how that compaires. You need to do a flush not just a change though. it takes 20 liters of oil to flush the box using the "Gibbens Method".
I look forward to Ned's experimenting with stock equipment and that hybrid will see what comes of it..

Cheers for the oil info, I'll consult with the garage...NJS pershore as they pretty close by, and see what they have to say about things - probably not worth worrying about gearbox oil at my current level of mod...i.e. minimal haha
AO Member

This morning was spent at Autolusso getting a Stage 2 Remap done. Really pleased with it and Wayne (iirc) very helpful and informative on a couple of test drives we went on. Great job car feels a lot better, well from my point of view it does. Had a chat with an owner of a lovely V6 Spider too. Enjoyed my drive home.
giblets46, alfahemi and Larry92 like this.
AO Member

Fitted a new brake pedal switch to cure an intermittent vdc failure warning when pedal is pressed which happens on the odd journey. Fingers crossed.
AO Member

County: Devon
Cleaned my MAP sensor on my 2.4. I never believed it would have any effect, but it was gunked full. Difference is definitely noticeable, how I'm not sure, but it feels very smooth...
AO Member

County: -
hELLo, anyone can help me with the SETUP file to change the speaking language of sat nav in english on my alfa brera . thank you
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbon1973 View Post
Cleaned my MAP sensor on my 2.4. I never believed it would have any effect, but it was gunked full. Difference is definitely noticeable, how I'm not sure, but it feels very smooth...
is it easy to do? that's my next job i think.
AO Member

Really easy. One bolt holding it on, unplug it and I cleaned mine using mtb brake disc cleaner. Just sprayed on the soot fell out DON'T damage the sensor wire in the little cone bit. Refit that's it. 5 mins literally.
bigjim likes this.
AO Member

County: Scotland
Garage
Washed, polished and waxed my Brera with some good results✨
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (80.4 KB, 12 views)
bigjim and Lord_of_beard like this.

County: -Macedonia
Cleaned the map sensor on my 2.4 200cv. Pulls a lot more now and its much more smooth and responsive. Such an easy job with such noticable improvements. Used contact cleaner and some gentle brushing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160907_123323_1_1473249594166.jpg (39.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160907_125356_1473249628638.jpg (36.7 KB, 19 views)
Dave1221 likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosisi View Post
Washed, polished and waxed my Brera with some good results✨
Looks like a van!
AO Member

new things

New Brembo discs and Brembo pads and replaced oil sensor
AO Member

County: South Australia
The driver's side sun visor on my wife's ti Sportwagon broke the other day. It just pulls off and won't stay up. She is very careful with her car so I don't know why it happened. I assume I will have to get hold of a good second hand one, unless any of you guys have a fix for this problem.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

changed a headlight bulb. much easier than a 147.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Fitted Meyle HD UPPER Wishbones to the 159.
The original TRW arms had failed ball joints though the bushes were still in great shape.
AO Member

County: South Australia
Any comments on the broken sun visor problem guys? I'm having trouble getting hold of a second hand one so far.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

brera 2.4 - NERO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz3litre View Post
Any comments on the broken sun visor problem guys? I'm having trouble getting hold of a second hand one so far.
All depends exactly what part has broken, but on my passenger side one, I just wrapped the 'prong' a few times with insulating tape and retightened in its hinge......nearly a three year fix now, and not detached itself since.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

brera 2.4 - NERO

Filled the tank up yesterday to drive up north, but found that my syringe plunger to add my fuel additive was broken, so it was fuel only. Really noticed a detrimental difference throughout, along with a regen which was particularly poor on spluttering. I won't be making that mistake again.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfahemi View Post
Filled the tank up yesterday to drive up north, but found that my syringe plunger to add my fuel additive was broken, so it was fuel only. Really noticed a detrimental difference throughout, along with a regen which was particularly poor on spluttering. I won't be making that mistake again.
I'm surprised it makes a difference straight away? In a way it's good that it does, as it means the fuel additive is effective
AO Member

Quote:
Which fuel additive do you use?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

brera 2.4 - NERO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty66 View Post
Which fuel additive do you use?
Archoil's AR6200 hi concentrated fuel modification complex at std measurements. It also has a combustion catalyst.
I also use AR6400D every six months to keep all the fuel side clean, as well as AR6600 to keep carbon build up off the turbo vanes and AR6500 to assist in DPF/CAT efficiency.

Have used Archoil products for many years, from my old GTFours, ZX, Supra and 156 v6. All petrols, this is the first diesel, and still does what it says on the tin.
AO Member

Quote:
Archoil's AR6200 hi concentrated fuel modification complex at std measurements. It also has a combustion catalyst.
I also use AR6400D every six months to keep all the fuel side clean, as well as AR6600 to keep carbon build up off the turbo vanes and AR6500 to assist in DPF/CAT efficiency.

Have used Archoil products for many years, from my old GTFours, ZX, Supra and 156 v6. All petrols, this is the first diesel, and still does what it says on the tin.
Will look into it, nice to see you have owned a supra, I has a mk4 aerotop NA a few years ago, best car i've ever driven

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today