In the last month or so . . .
Remove engine and gearbox to get to the failed bearing on the output flange to the propshaft. Dismantled the power take off box, replaced bearings, reshimmed, and reassembled. ZF, who make the box, no help, but all bearings and seals have OE numbers so easily obtainable from any bearing supplier.
Replaced the V6 timing chains, idlers, guides, tensioners - having waited a couple more weeks as GM Parts in the USA forgot to send one guide - which also allowed me to order new gaskets for the tensioners as I didn't know they didn't come with them. Had a moment of doubt at 11pm saturday about whether I'd torqued up the rear idler when tidying tool up (in Alfa positioning - RH in Cadillac positioning) - so stripped it all again while the sealant was soft - I had torqued it up - all back together by 20 past midnight!
Engine back in sunday/monday.
Blasted and powdercoated battery tray, under engine cooling duct mounts, rear lamda plug bracket under the car, propshaft safety hoop bracket thingie, brake hose mounts on the front uprights (screws sheared in upright after the stud hanging on to the brake hose sheared when I tried to remove it to get enough free-play in the assembly to get the driveshafts out) washer bottle mount, air cleaner mount - was surprised how bad they were!
Also had subframe blasted, then I painted with 2-pack paint, then undersealed, with a good dose of noxodol 700 inside it. Applied Noxodol to varous other chassis legs and box sections.
Blasted the lower rear edges of the front wheelarches where the paint have been stripped by road grit - 2-pack paint, top coat, then rubber coating, so they should be ok for a while.
Spotted rustspots under the sills yesterday when doing final fitting of things, stripped, cleaned,blasted, painted, undersealed so they should be good for a few more years. If anyone knows where to get those oval rubber bungs, I need one.
So it's back on the floor, so I can turn it round and have a go at the rear trailing arms . . .
Incidentally, I can see how people changing the timing chains may run into timing problems- the final chain wanted to jump the idler by one tooth when fitting the last guide - had to be held in place and checked to be sure it was correct as the guide was positioned.
Hardest bit was persuading my engine crane to move on the rough tamped concete outside my garage.
Most worrying, after the "phew" when it started first turn, was trying to bleed the cooling system - couldn't get hot air out of the air vents yesterday - until I realised with the temperatures set to 32 degrees, the system was trying to cool the car DOWN to 32 degrees it was that hot outside. :-)