What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 182 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage
Had mine on almost two years and no problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -norfolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
needing brakes all round. let me know how you get on with that set up.
Done a few miles now so should be all bedded in ok . brakes feel great, plenty of stopping power .

Make sure you give the caliper mounting bolts a good soaking with spray lube , it took me a hour per side just to get the bolts out , i thought they were going to shear . stupid design the heads are e 12 torx and are the same diameter as the threaded part .

And the plate for the caliper wind back tool is common with other GM cars .
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilift View Post
Done a few miles now so should be all bedded in ok . brakes feel great, plenty of stopping power .

Make sure you give the caliper mounting bolts a good soaking with spray lube , it took me a hour per side just to get the bolts out , i thought they were going to shear . stupid design the heads are e 12 torx and are the same diameter as the threaded part .

And the plate for the caliper wind back tool is common with other GM cars .
great, thanks.you got any links for the disks and pads? I wont be doing them myself, i'll drop it off to my local indy with a boot full of parts.
AO Member

County: Bristol
Ive ordered some new tyres ready for the weekend. Just got to pay for um now. Ouch
AO Member

County: Cornwall
Have got used to having to jump start the car with a nifty new toy every other week after leaving the car on the drive while it's my missus' turn to drive to work. Brilliant bit of kit to get the car going, bloody annoying that I need it so often....
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Shad86 View Post
Have got used to having to jump start the car with a nifty new toy every other week after leaving the car on the drive while it's my missus' turn to drive to work. Brilliant bit of kit to get the car going, bloody annoying that I need it so often....

Unless your car is 'at risk', lock it with the key, it'll not turn the alarm on, so hopefully last until you need it again.
Allowing the battery to discharge til dead that often will mean you need a new battery much sooner.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color
AO Member

County: Cornwall
Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post

Unless your car is 'at risk', lock it with the key, it'll not turn the alarm on, so hopefully last until you need it again.
Allowing the battery to discharge til dead that often will mean you need a new battery much sooner.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color
I'll probably start doing that when I've moved house and have a garage, I think in fairness I already need a new battery (at it's only a year and a half old), can't understand how the original battery lasted for so long, the one I replaced it with was suppose to be an up rated one...
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
great, thanks.you got any links for the disks and pads? I wont be doing them myself, i'll drop it off to my local indy with a boot full of parts.
here is the link to MTEC www.mtecbrakes.com/Brake-Discs‎.

the pads i got from e bay of a parts supplier in Wakefield , seen to be the best price around.

MTEC front discs part no is mtec1377 .

MTEC rear discs part no is mtec1595 .

i opted for silver coating on the discs and specced drilled only , as the previous car i had a saab 9-3 i fitted with drilled and grooved discs and found them a little noisy .

drilled only seem much quieter and seem to perform equally plus i think they look much cooler too .

the above part no,s are for a 159 ti spec 2.4 jtdm s/w.
bigjim likes this.

Last edited by hilift; 28-04-16 at 11:06. Reason: missed text
AO Member

just bought myself a genuine alfa 159 ti wheel , to use as a spare .

reason being not happy to limp along at 50 mph on a space saver spare in search of a tyre dealer that actually has in stock
the mythical beast that is a 235 40 19 tyre .
it happened once and its not gonna happen again !!!!!

its a shame that "tyre traders " have gone into administration as they always had a keen price on tyres .

at least "camskill " is still alive and kicking !!!!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilift View Post
here is the link to MTEC www.mtecbrakes.com/Brake-Discs‎.

the pads i got from e bay of a parts supplier in Wakefield , seen to be the best price around.

MTEC front discs part no is mtec1377 .

MTEC rear discs part no is mtec1595 .

i opted for silver coating on the discs and specced drilled only , as the previous car i had a saab 9-3 i fitted with drilled and grooved discs and found them a little noisy .

drilled only seem much quieter and seem to perform equally plus i think they look much cooler too .

the above part no,s are for a 159 ti spec 2.4 jtdm s/w.
thanks for this
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage

Member car:

Spider 2.4 jtdm

Received a rocking horse poo spider roll hoop cover to replace my missing one - came to fit it and found the missing one in the hood well. Ah well at least I now have a spare.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Lancashire

Member car:

BMW 116i Sport

Just parked on a car park with over 200 spaces and around 20 of them being occupied, loads of room........came back, a Ford focus parked so close to mine my partner couldn't get in through the passenger side !!! It had even been reversed in with great effort. No other cars around.
Makes my blood boil

Last edited by Miles G; 28-04-16 at 21:58.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no grip View Post
Received a rocking horse poo spider roll hoop cover to replace my missing one - came to fit it and found the missing one in the hood well. Ah well at least I now have a spare.
I posted a few weeks ago that hoops can often be found in there - they like to be taken for a ride!
Amazed you managed to get another one.
I had a new one fitted under warranty just after I bought my car - the old one was pitted on the top where it'd been catching on the hood. They told me I was covered for a new hoop but not for any part of the roof mechanism!
And can you believe the AR warranty only covered you for the roof for the first 6 months of its life had you bought the car brand new? It seems they had little faith in it...

Past: GTV T.Spark Lusso (owned 8 years) Present: 948 Spider LE (bought Nov. '10) Future: 8C (in my dreams )
Previously (selective): Porsche 944 Turbo; Porsche 944S; Jaguar XJ6; Audi Coupe; Mark 2 Golf GTI.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Spider 2.4 jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
I posted a few weeks ago that hoops can often be found in there - they like to be taken for a ride!
Amazed you managed to get another one.
I had a new one fitted under warranty just after I bought my car - the old one was pitted on the top where it'd been catching on the hood. They told me I was covered for a new hoop but not for any part of the roof mechanism!
And can you believe the AR warranty only covered you for the roof for the first 6 months of its life had you bought the car brand new? It seems they had little faith in it...
Quote:
Having seen it in action I can understand their concerns - at least I now know the technique and I've also used lots of Sticks Like $hit to secure the trim plus also tried the piece of cable in the gap. Just waiting for it to set (and for the snow to stop!) before I try it in anger
lussoman likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles G View Post
Just parked on a car park with over 200 spaces and around 20 of them being occupied, loads of room........came back, a Ford focus parked so close to mine my partner couldn't get in through the passenger side !!! It had even been reversed in with great effort. No other cars around.
Makes my blood boil
I had this on my gym car park the other day. It has a big empty car park that's part of the football stadium parking, and I never park anywhere near the door because Spider doors are w---i---d---e. A nondescript Fiat meant I had to get in via the passenger door.
I seriously felt like putting their f**king window through.
tony4hop and Miles G like this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 & 156 S/W

Took the wife's perfume out of the glove box. (lussoman knows what I mean)

lussoman likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles G View Post
Makes my blood boil
Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
I had this on my gym car park the other day. It has a big empty car park that's part of the football stadium parking, and I never park anywhere near the door because Spider doors are w---i---d---e. A nondescript Fiat meant I had to get in via the passenger door.
I seriously felt like putting their f**king window through.
They're all reading this forum. I'm sure of it
AO Gold Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapalfa View Post
If they're the alloy ones with an Alfa badge take them off again ASAP. I bought some for my wife's GTV and they corroded on so badly that we needed to get 2 of the tyres off and new valves fitted.
Not if you use a little Copper grease on the threads
AO Member

Im having a new windscreen fitted today , i just hope the wind and rain holds off . bloody stupid weather.

the 2 days id booked the bike in for its MOT it rained like a monsoon. needless to say they were both cancelled .

the last windscreen i had fitted to my previous car , it was blowing gale force winds and rain coming side ways , the guy from AA WINDSCREENS did a real crap job of it and it was incorrectly aligned so you coudnt see the VIN thru the portal and the screen leaked like a sieve .
obviously i was not a happy bunny and swore never to use their services again - thankfully they appear to be no more .

whilst the guy from auto windscreens does his stuff today i will be watching like an expectant father
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Evenings this week my efforts with the Chipex have finally caught up with the stone chips. Just before the first round in Feb I counted 137 white spots. On Monday there were at least 50 new ones to be done. Today celebrated by giving it another wash, and (in between the rain showers) finishing with Autoglym Super Resin Polish and Extra Gloss Protection. Then the sun came out for photographs: a couple for here - one from Feb (before) and another today (after) - and some more to catch April's detailing competition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Detail before.jpg (106.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Detail after.jpg (113.3 KB, 19 views)
Wezley likes this.
AO Member

County: South Australia
The Sportwagon went in to our trusty Alfa mechanic for a service, DPF clean, new brake switch and new lower left control arm bush yesterday. He also plugged a small hole in the right hand lower ball joint and pumped some more grease into it. My wife just informed me that another brake light bulb has blown. It seems to do that a bit too often. Does anyone know why they blow like that?
AO Member

County: Bristol
3 new tyres fitted,new headlight lamps fitted but I must apologise for ruining the bank holiday weather for everyone as I've just washed,clay polished,polished with poor boys polish and a general detail. Just put everything away as down came the rain and thunder. Bugger
AO Member

County: Kent
Oil, filter and coolant change today. Then found a large wood screw in my front tyre. Bugger.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 401
County: Mid Glamorgan
Garage
Today I took my new toy (159 Q4 SW) for a 2 hour blast to west wales. Quite how Alfa make a car this big n heavy feel like a Kettakart is beyond me. Even the 19" rims cope easily with the rough and ready roads.
I totally love this car. I can feel another Alfahokik makeover coming on. ?
no grip likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today