What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 174 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waquer159 View Post
Have you used them Giblets ?
Yeh, with the eibachs too. Decided to swap them too after both my rear springs snapped. Seemed silly not to for the price, considered the b6/b8s as was worried about being too stiff (b4s are supposed to be a bit stiffer anyway),
The ride now seems far smoother, without the crashiness over bumps, and almost firmer through corners. about 0.5-1cm lower which looks better too

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage
All advisories up to date now, new upper wishbones and bushes, diff seals, lighter gear oil seems to make a big difference, underseal protection, new coolant.
Lighter in the pocket but happy to know its up together.
AO Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcooker View Post
Hi Matey,
It see you have a sportwagon, so before you go and buy your springs, it might be worth having a read on from here about my woes with Eibachs on the rear.http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-advice-6.html (159 TI Suspension Upgrade Advice)

You'll read that I now have custom made springs on the rear of mine and Eibachs on the front. I paid about 120 for the springs and they're very good quality from a quality source. They'll still have the specs if you decide to go down that route. The springs feel great, not hard, not saggy and deal with loads like 4 mountain bikes on a rack, roof box and fully loaded car easily. They sit 11cms from bottom of arch to top of 19" rim, my front Eibachs sit 10cms.

Alternatively, if you must have Eibachs, then you could buy mine which were only used for a matter of weeks, say 35 posted for the rear pair. They are the correct spec for sportwagon and were tested by Eibach and found to be fine, except they're sh&&te.
Cheers,

I'll have a read through it when I have chance later.

Since being told they have snapped on Friday I seem to be noticing just how... squidgy is probably the best way to describe it... the back end feels.

But almost had a fit when the local dealer wanted over 200 for a pair of rear springs !!! and they are special order items !
AO Silver Member

Garage
Took the latest edition to the family for his first ride in the 159 back from the hospital!

matty74, Troll, hessian and 2 others like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post
Took the latest edition to the family for his first ride in the 159 back from the hospital!

Congratulations Giblets!

County: -
Hi I have an 07 plate 2.2 jts Iv got a ticking noise as soon as I start it only when it's cold, soon as engine is warm after about mins it goes any ideas as what it can be

Last edited by cherryevans; 17-02-16 at 07:24.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryevans View Post
Hi I have an 07 plate 2.2 jts Iv got a ticking noise as soon as I start it only when it's cold, soon as engine is warm after about mins it goes any ideas as what it can be

If it's fairly subtle, that's normal

Lord_of_beard likes this.
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage
Every now and then, but more frequently recently, and only on 'First Start' when putting the key fob into the notch, all the display lights would drain away and the car wouldn't start (Qtroninc BTW). So, after enduring this again this morning, I decided to replace the battery.
Low and Behold, it's still the original battery in the vehicle (58). It was a Magnetti Marelli 12V 72Ah 570A Heavy duty, part No...71765419.
All is forgiven. It's lasted this long so not too bad all things (Italian) considered.
Replaced it with a Bosch S5 096 77AH 780 which fitted the battery tray perfectly. Got it feom Euro car parts in Abingdon (branches all over the place) for 96.70 inc VAT. Had to get it fitted at my local garage using a code 'rememberer' (not a real word) so I didn't lose any programmed info .
Will post further if it wasn't the battery.....................
Wezley likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

0C this morning for only the second or third time since I bought my 159 (October). Last time and this morning all the windows were frozen and the doors/handles. Also reversing sensors sound a continuous beep.
My GT before had frame-less doors those (apparently) dodgy door handles and reversing sensors and they never did anything like the 159.
Does anybody else have similar problems?

By the time I get to work all is well again. I've also noticed even with the glow plug fault the car starts fine. I have had the odd problem with a security message and then you need to press the brake to start the car as using the clutch when this happens won't start it. The problem clears up after about 5 miles. I do think as the above post that maybe the battery is on its last legs.

Priorities I find, are usually someone else's.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
dcl

County: France
Garage

Member car:

Brera 3.2 Q4 SV

Frozen rear brakes = new handbrake cable sheaths

First time I've parked her outside in freezing overnight temperatures and txt morning releasing the handbrake would not release the brake cable. Luckily car park is opposite friendly garage who hoisted her up and quickly diagnosed cracked outer sheathing for the handbrake cables (water entered and froze) and generally poor slide of the cable within the sheath. Two new cables ordered and was expecting easy job (as was mechanic). Turns out whole transmission tunnel armrest/handbrake console thing has to be removed and the rear "seats" (it's a Brera) to access the cabling. So, will be interesting to see the labour charge when I pick her up tomorrow. Still, I took advantage of dismantled middle console to see if the broken cigar lighter socket can be replaced. Every cloud...
dcl

Garage

Member car:

Brera 3.2 Q4 SV

Cold woes

I had same constant beep from reversing sensors yesterday - same deal for me, first time the car has been in -0 C since I bought it in (snap) October! Not sure if it sorted itself out since I was more concerned with my frozen on rear brakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezley View Post
0C this morning for only the second or third time since I bought my 159 (October). Last time and this morning all the windows were frozen and the doors/handles. Also reversing sensors sound a continuous beep.
My GT before had frame-less doors those (apparently) dodgy door handles and reversing sensors and they never did anything like the 159.
Does anybody else have similar problems?

By the time I get to work all is well again. I've also noticed even with the glow plug fault the car starts fine. I have had the odd problem with a security message and then you need to press the brake to start the car as using the clutch when this happens won't start it. The problem clears up after about 5 miles. I do think as the above post that maybe the battery is on its last legs.
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcl View Post
I had same constant beep from reversing sensors yesterday - same deal for me, first time the car has been in -0 C since I bought it in (snap) October! Not sure if it sorted itself out since I was more concerned with my frozen on rear brakes!
It is fine when I get into work. This morning it was a bleep bleep, they are obviously only close to the ice
dcl likes this.
AO Member

County: Croston Lancs
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcl View Post
First time I've parked her outside in freezing overnight temperatures and txt morning releasing the handbrake would not release the brake cable. Luckily car park is opposite friendly garage who hoisted her up and quickly diagnosed cracked outer sheathing for the handbrake cables (water entered and froze) and generally poor slide of the cable within the sheath. Two new cables ordered and was expecting easy job (as was mechanic). Turns out whole transmission tunnel armrest/handbrake console thing has to be removed and the rear "seats" (it's a Brera) to access the cabling. So, will be interesting to see the labour charge when I pick her up tomorrow. Still, I took advantage of dismantled middle console to see if the broken cigar lighter socket can be replaced. Every cloud...
When I had mine replaced a few years back it was approx 4hrs labour charge as a result of what you've mentioned above
dcl

Garage

Member car:

Brera 3.2 Q4 SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty74 View Post
When I had mine replaced a few years back it was approx 4hrs labour charge as a result of what you've mentioned above
It will be interesting to see how many hours he chargers me........when I get her back. Cables promised for yesterday never turned up, now it's Monday. All the way from Italy apparently!

County: South Lanarkshire
Garage
This week I brought the 159 to CM Garage in East Kilbride (Glasgow).. It has 125k Miles and other than a service (my choice, last one was 7000 miles ago..) only the glow plugs and the front suspensions bushings needed to be replaced. I'm quite happy with that because for the mileage these aren't major works..

The weekend I'm going to fit white H7 bulbs on the headlamps because the standard bulbs doesn't light anything in front of me... :/ Hate those yellowish lights.. I'd like Xenon but not now.

And yes I have as well the 12v socket broken loose, actually I don't even know if it works.. I see there's a small LED light on the front, will it light up when the socket is in use?

Cheers

Roberto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20160206_037.jpg (172.0 KB, 17 views)
AO Member

Removed and cleaned MAP sensor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160218_125254719_1455942580517.jpg (40.0 KB, 10 views)
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Finished my Brera S model 1:32
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JPEG_20160220_114915.jpg (46.5 KB, 10 views)
matty74 and Lord_of_beard like this.
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159 ti 2.0JTDm

Oil and filter change. Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30.

Could not find my suitable oil filter wrench so asked Mrs Eriksmate to take me to Halfords but she said to use her wrench instead. Didn't know she had one. Fine woman!
matty74 and Darranna like this.
AO Member

County: England
Garage
Today (actually last night) I managed to break my nearside headlamp, fitting a bulb

details are on my website 2008 Alfa Romeo Spider 2.2 JTS LE

No it's quite a load house then when the engines warm you don't hear it all
AO Member

Today, I've had two Eibach springs fitted to the rear of my 159 Ti, as both the original springs had snapped!

Thanks to a friendly ebayer, I got a pair of Eibach rear springs for less than the price of a single Alfa replacement!

rancid
AO Member

County: Kent
Fixed my non working boot light today thanks to the information posted by Jamoir and Jim159 back in 12/14. Simple case of jumping two wires together and all is fine again. Thanks guys.
AO Member

County: Midlothian

Member car:

2011 159 ti TBi

put an 8" long scratch along the bumper! only bloody had it a few weeks
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

pollution filter was clogged. de clogged it by going too fast in 4th.
Wezley likes this.
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplebug View Post
put an 8" long scratch along the bumper! only bloody had it a few weeks

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today