What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 172 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

washed mine and cleaned the leather seats. also popped into my local indy for a chat this week and got a new cabin filter fitted. don't think the one that was in it had ever been changed. smells nicer inside now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

Brera S Prodrive

Removed the headlining from my Brera S today to open up the SkyView and enjoy the view as it was originally intended to be enjoyed! Now to decide whether to get it re-trimmed, or possibly try and source a spare to get that re-trimmed and have the best of both worlds...!
AO Member

County: Netherland
Garage
This weekend cleaned the ERG valve, and installed restrictor plate.
Also cleaned throttle body and MAP sensor, what a difference that makes!

And last I removed the rust from the front chassis members, put 3 layers of protective anti rust coating on it and 3 layers of black protective spray.

Next thing to do is put new sealant on all 4 doors (between the inside door and the panel that holds the window motor) so I don't get wet carpets anymore which is annoying.
giblets46 likes this.

County: -
Well, today I just puttered around town.

But on Saturday, I drove between Edinburgh and The Isle of Skye and back again. Sometimes through blizzard conditions. The 159 handled it with aplomb. I got stuck in Invergarry on a steep section but switched off the ASR and managed to get the car going again.

I've had the car for a couple of weeks now. Sold a two-year old BMW m135i to the dealer who sold me the 159. I don't regret the change of car. The 159 is a cracking drive.

It has a few issues to iron out but none appear to be urgent. There's a stutter at 1500rpm when I'm accelerating hard, the rear left window safety mechanism is faulty and displaying an error, and the audio system will be getting upgraded shortly. And the power steering seems to be a bit heavy and shuddery at low speeds. Otherwise feels good to drive. My partner, who has an A3 loves the 159.
Lord_of_beard likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanalpha159 View Post
Just picked up my 2.4 ti and have a little worry that something maybe wrong... I requested before I bought that they had the Cambelt done, which it has with a full service aswell.

So the problem is it struggles on the very first start of the day, fires up then can't catch the correct revs and cuts out, second start and it's fine but tick over is very unsettled. Also produces a fair amount of smoke on tick over can smell inside aswell. Once in gear and driving all seems perfect! Just wondering would this be a issue with the recent Cambelt change? Also occasionally with the first start up it throws up a fault glow plug light flashes but then it's fine? Any input much appreciated!

Cheers.
I think on mine the battery is slowly on it's way out. On occasion if I have not used it for a while it will throw a ABS warning message (so quick I don't get chance to read it). I constantly get a glow plug warning light and they do not work. I need to fix that... in the summer though.

Not sure why there might be black smoke, but then I have never looked at any of mine when starting, mostly on this 159, 2.4 it has been in the dark anyway
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

147 2.0TS

Quote:
Just picked up my 2.4 ti and have a little worry that something maybe wrong... I requested before I bought that they had the Cambelt done, which it has with a full service aswell.

So the problem is it struggles on the very first start of the day, fires up then can't catch the correct revs and cuts out, second start and it's fine but tick over is very unsettled. Also produces a fair amount of smoke on tick over can smell inside aswell. Once in gear and driving all seems perfect! Just wondering would this be a issue with the recent Cambelt change? Also occasionally with the first start up it throws up a fault glow plug light flashes but then it's fine? Any input much appreciated!

Cheers.
Do you have access to MultiECUscan? would be worth checking when the DPF had it's last regeneration and have a look at the back pressure. Plus you can check lots of other tell tale readings to help diagnose.

County: Cork
Garage
February Detailing competition now open for entries http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-d...n-entries.html (February Detailing Competition Entries)

Don't let the title put you off, it doesn't have to be a full detail, a wash & a clean will do, if your car looks good take some pics & submit them

Full rules here http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-d...ion-rules.html (Monthly Detailing Competition Rules)
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Malfaist View Post
Quote:

Cheers.
Do you have access to MultiECUscan? would be worth checking when the DPF had it's last regeneration and have a look at the back pressure. Plus you can check lots of other tell tale readings to help diagnose.

Hey Tim thansk for reply, I'm getting it booked into italia speed near Newbury I'm not sure if they can do that. Hopefully they can I will certainly mention it, the garage I bought it from are being really helpful and said they will pay for whatver needs doing so I hope they keep to that. It is under warranty so surely they have to?
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rearwindow View Post
Well, today I just puttered around town.

But on Saturday, I drove between Edinburgh and The Isle of Skye and back again. Sometimes through blizzard conditions. The 159 handled it with aplomb. I got stuck in Invergarry on a steep section but switched off the ASR and managed to get the car going again.

I've had the car for a couple of weeks now. Sold a two-year old BMW m135i to the dealer who sold me the 159. I don't regret the change of car. The 159 is a cracking drive.

It has a few issues to iron out but none appear to be urgent. There's a stutter at 1500rpm when I'm accelerating hard, the rear left window safety mechanism is faulty and displaying an error, and the audio system will be getting upgraded shortly. And the power steering seems to be a bit heavy and shuddery at low speeds. Otherwise feels good to drive. My partner, who has an A3 loves the 159.
That's some trek for a day trip, esp at this time of year! Glad to hear the 159 made it ok.
I did a similar journey about 19 years ago in a '85 Cavalier SRi and the headlamp switch packed up while I was trying to use main beam in the pitch black of a February evening, also near Invegarry on the A87. Had to drive a few miles trying to avoid the sheep and pot holes, holding the rotary light switch in the on position till it fixed itself. That was fun
AO Member

Just read through your link to this mod....AMAZING! Keep up the good work sir
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Today I spent the day at Autolusso working with Ned and his team on the cooler mod discussed earlier in this thread. It worked a treat http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/image...ies/thumbs.gif

Full details on my blog as it was easier to write it once: Alfa 159 Gearbox Cooler Modification | Jabablog
Last post aimed at this post! Lol.
JabawokJayUK likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfadodge View Post
That's some trek for a day trip, esp at this time of year! Glad to hear the 159 made it ok.
I did a similar journey about 19 years ago in a '85 Cavalier SRi and the headlamp switch packed up while I was trying to use main beam in the pitch black of a February evening, also near Invegarry on the A87. Had to drive a few miles trying to avoid the sheep and pot holes, holding the rotary light switch in the on position till it fixed itself. That was fun
Sounds like a nightmare

The lack of toilets and decent snacks are a nightmare on that journey. Stale sandwiches and a strong sphincter!

Fitted a Pioneer SPH-DA120 head unit today. Haven't fitted a head unit to a car for many years. It took about six hours but it was worth it. The unit works very well with my iPhone 6 plus and Car Play works well. Almost ditched the GPS antenna figuring I wouldn't need it, however, glad I retrieved it from the bin because the head unit needs reception to set the time. Apparently Apple Maps works without a mobile connection and uses the GPS antenna via the head unit to get the cars gengrapic position. Anyway, it looks and sounds a thousand times better than the stock head unit.
matty74 likes this.
AO Member

County: Croston Lancs
Quote:
Originally Posted by rearwindow View Post
Fitted a Pioneer SPH-DA120 head unit today. Haven't fitted a head unit to a car for many years. It took about six hours but it was worth it. The unit works very well with my iPhone 6 plus and Car Play works well. Almost ditched the GPS antenna figuring I wouldn't need it, however, glad I retrieved it from the bin because the head unit needs reception to set the time. Apparently Apple Maps works without a mobile connection and uses the GPS antenna via the head unit to get the cars gengrapic position. Anyway, it looks and sounds a thousand times better than the stock head unit.
Great with Deezer & Spotify too if you have an account

However, I need to have a SIRI that understands a Mancunian accent for CARPLAY to work
dcl

County: France
Garage

Member car:

Brera 3.2 Q4 SV

New battery, and alternator,disconnect Connect GPS!

Alternator light came on so suspected charging problem. Garage believed immediately the problem was the battery...which was knackered, but then surely not too much of a surprise if the alternator was playing up. My confidence with the alternator diagnosis came in part from threads on this forum but also from the clear information here: Alfa 159 and Brera dashboard warning lights
Anyway, turns out there was also a massive draw on the battery from the radio/gps unit so garage unplugged that. Pick up car after new battery fitted (took a while due to garage ordering wrong size twice) and as soon as the revs go past 2k when the alternator would kick in, you guessed it, the alternator warning light comes on! The slightly smug feeling of being correct in my initial diagnosis wears off quickly with a price tag of over 500 euros for new alternator including fitting! Still, she is running very nicely and I can hear it all the better without any tunes!

New to the forum and finding it a great source of info and advice, especially now that I am looking to replace the original radio/gps (btw, was quoted over 5000 euros for a new replacement OEM unit!!, surely no one ever buys one?
AO Member

County: Midlothian

Member car:

2011 159 ti TBi

AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplebug View Post
B E A Utiful and in the best colour. I do really like that
purplebug likes this.
AO Member

Just got the car back from italia speed in Newbury, new glow plugs fitted....still cut out on first few starts anyone heard of this BG engine clean? Where they out your car pretty much in a drip of additives for 30-40 mins supposed to clean the whole thing back to as new? I've heard good things from it anyone know of a local place to me (Andover Hampshire)
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Garage
Fitted the Brera grille badge thingy, with the Guilia style Alfa badge.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cn0wxfainw...mage.jpeg?dl=0
Got to do the rear one now to match.
AO Member

County: England
Garage
I spent an hour stationary on the M25 while a car transporter blazed and took four brand New Peugeot's it was transporting with it.

Finally got to Autolusso to collect my new key fob and Ned programmed it for me
AO Member

County: Swansea

Member car:

159 Ti 1.9 JTDM

Painted the front calipers on my 159, pearl metallic Ferrari red. Very similar to the metallic red on the new giulia!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1454861343477.jpg (56.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg image_1454861360869.jpg (47.9 KB, 17 views)
emerycloth likes this.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman1993 View Post
Painted the front calipers on my 159, pearl metallic Ferrari red. Very similar to the metallic red on the new giulia!!
Looks lovely!! I have the 2.4 ti and the callipers are in need of a re spray what paint did you use and where from? Any links?

Cheers
AO Member

County: Swansea

Member car:

159 Ti 1.9 JTDM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/270959388629

This is the one I used, seems good quality although time will tell! Gave both front calipers 3 coats and didn't even use a quarter of the tin!!
The pictures don't do it justice, looks nicer in person!
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by topman1993 View Post
Fantastic job .
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage
Just got back from a trip to the US, and my new HID kit and CREE bulbs have arrived, guess what I will be doing next weekend if the rain ever stops !!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today