What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 171 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

AO Member

County: England
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darranna View Post
my website updated with some minor updates.
Fairy light update today at www.darranna.jigsy.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Budapest
Not today, but "lately"...
Replaced the thermostat. Bought a Gates one, because I've used their products before and seems quality. Upon opening the factory sealed Gates box I find a MEHR branded tstat. Interesting. The one I replaced it with was a Mehr also.

Front upper wishbones bushes started to squeak really bad, so I replaced them with Strongflex ones. AWESOME! I've never had a poly bushed car before and wasn't expecting the difference to this huge. Love it!
Also ordered the bushings for the lower wishbone, but managed to buy the wrong size..

Last edited by Nari; 18-01-16 at 07:17.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

I was close to an accident, so close I'm a witness. Anyway I later noticed the front of the bonnet and one area on the offside front wing are badly scratched, I assume from flying glass and debris.
I'm going to try one of the stone rash repair kits I think. Paint on this car is so good compared to the black GT I had before. Well it was :/
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

I managed to crash mine in a blizzard. Luckily it was only a sideways slide and I hit the curb - I didn't hit anyone and had the luck to not hit any parked cars either... it's the shop now, will see what happens. Pretty much damage to only have hit a curb at approximately 20 km/h.

Let's hope the repair only involves replacing the bent part and that there is no damage to the chassis.

(Third pic is to show what it's supposed to look like)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Acc1.jpg (53.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Acc2.JPG (16.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Acc3.JPG (15.1 KB, 27 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today?

Replaced the HID ballasts and capacitors after one failed (and had a very cheap one in as a replacement), left the bulbs in place.

also spent a while wrapping thin copper wire round the contacts of the LED that flickers on and off (most off). No joy, think it must be overheating and causing a short in the circuit board. New LEDs ordered, looking at one with more of a heat sink type design now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

Last edited by giblets46; 19-01-16 at 07:32.
AO Member

County: South Australia
Our recent trip from Adelaide, South Australia to Brisbane, Queensland and back in the 2.4 JTDM Sportwagon, covered a total of 5,036 km at total cost of $618 in fuel and an average of 32.47 mpg or 8.7 litres per 100 km, using brim to brim calculations. The car needed no topping up of coolant or oil and was an absolute joy to drive. The ti seats were extremely comfortable over long stretches. We couldn't be more happy.
matty74, hessian and Wezley like this.

County: Cork
Garage
Please take a few minutes to cast your vote to decide the overall winner for 2015 http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/poll-...ar-2015-a.html (AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2015)

Voting closes January 31st.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Battery died this morning. Jump leads problematic so took wife's Honda Jazz to work. Bought a new battery on the way home and fitted it. Not easy squashed in the corner of the garage but got there in the end. Old battery is clearly the factory fit from 2008, so it has done well. For the technical, the new one is a Platinum Prestige 027 5 year guarantee for 73 - only the 027 size rather than the 096 that also fits, but it's better AH and CCA than the original 71751141.

But after the battery out there's loads of settings needing to be re-done. And the failed starts this morning will mean a few journeys with the 'check engine' showing, before the computers work out that everything is ok after all. At least, that's what happened following the non-start after a week unused over Christmas.

The other 2008 parts that went recently were the 2 rear tyres. But that was a few weeks ago. The next job might be rear wheel bearings. There is a hum from the back, and with the car jacked up the rear wheels turn roughly compared with the front - not exactly graunchy, but not smooth either. Could it just be brake pads dragging?
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Unusually for me I dropped it into an independent in Ormskirk for an oil change, took the opportunity to have the air filter and fuel filter done at the same time and also have a new sump plug (with a magnet in it) fitted. Refilled with a mix of Shell Helix 5w40 and Slick 50. Service interval reset and now showing 18k to the next one. That'll happen later in the year, probably anther 6k on the clock but by then I'll be able to get the Stratos out of the garage and put the 159 on the lift and get at it myself.

Whilst it was on the lift I had the chance to get underneath for a poke about. One under tray bolt damaged and the tray ripped but an easy fix (luckily as the Q4 under tray is unique I think). Subframe is solid, there's a little surface rash on a couple of corner welds but nothing that a bit of attention with rust converter and a coat of waxoyl won't sort for good.

Guy
AO Member

County: Ankara
Garage
i renewed the back door rack, thermostat and antifreeze as well as i cleaned the board and applied leather protection cream to seats. we are ready to winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AO Member

So getting a new 159!!! 2.4 ti in White anyone got any reccomendatioms of things to look out for that could be a potential problem? I.e swirl flap and egr Cambelt etc... I know failings on these parts on the 1.9 16v model which i have was the typical problem areas any info is much appreciated

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1453461759684.jpg (15.6 KB, 21 views)
matty74 likes this.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalfisti View Post
I managed to crash mine in a blizzard. Luckily it was only a sideways slide and I hit the curb - I didn't hit anyone and had the luck to not hit any parked cars either... it's the shop now, will see what happens. Pretty much damage to only have hit a curb at approximately 20 km/h.

Let's hope the repair only involves replacing the bent part and that there is no damage to the chassis.

(Third pic is to show what it's supposed to look like)

Ohh dear! Hope this all gets sorted! Was this a parallel slide and hit curb? Some exactly the same thing to my Audi A3 a few years ago determined to make it into work in the snow, never again! Lol
AO Member

County: Croston Lancs
Bought the Mrs this

Used Cars for sale in Chesterfield, Derbyshire | Templar Cars

Really well spec'd for a Veloce

Pick it up Monday
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Fitted my latest sidelight LEDs, whilst the effect is not as good as the COB flat LEDs, they don't appear to be flickering just yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color
AO Silver Member

Had a couple of tyres fitted after work during the week and first thing this morning it passed its MOT with just an advisory on the front brake disks, which was also mentioned when the tyres were changed. The pads are less than 12 months old so there's no point in changing the disks until the pads need doing.

I replaced the HID bulbs last weekend, and surprisingly the beam alignment was correct as I usually manage to mess it up when changing the bulbs.
AO Member

County: England
Garage
During the weekend I fitted some Osram LED DRL / Fog Lamps. I also fitted LED's to the rear number plate lights, Puddle Lights, Glovebox lamp etc. I also decided to reposition the drivers side under dash lamp and finally I fitted the 25mm spacers to the rear of the runners on the passenger seat.

All details are on my website at 2008 Alfa Romeo Spider 2.2 JTS LE
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanalpha159 View Post
Ohh dear! Hope this all gets sorted! Was this a parallel slide and hit curb? Some exactly the same thing to my Audi A3 a few years ago determined to make it into work in the snow, never again! Lol
Yes indeed, a parallel slide at a 90 degree turn. I got so lucky as I managed to do it in the only junction in the neighborhood that doesn't have parked cars on the sides, so I just hit a high curb (maybe 20 cm tall). The garage fixed the damage in two days and I picked up the car already last week, but yesterday I noticed that one of the wheel bearings was damaged too so back to garage this morning to get it sorted - it will be all good and ready for pickup today.

They had to replace the arm that was bent on the picture, a damper, and both rims and wheel bearings. Wheel alignment redone, of course.

It's amazing, I have been driving multiple cars in the past 10+ years and never had an insurance claim, and this is my third with the 159 in three years...

Alfa Romeo - Veni, Vidi, Vici.
AO Member

Dropped it off with Gus at Alfatune, suspected knackered inlet manifold, hopefully it'll be flying again today after nearly a week of limp mode

County: Nuevo Leon
Changed the rear license plate light bulbs

And after putting them back, the got loose
AO Member

County: Kent
Gave her a good clean yesterday and MOT today. Clean bill of health. for another year.

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Please take a few minutes to cast your vote to decide the overall winner for 2015 http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/poll-...ar-2015-a.html (AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2015)

Voting closes January 31st.

That's Sunday
Lord_of_beard likes this.
AO Member

Put it in to replace the rear wheel bearing as advised at recent MoT. I almost didn't bother, as it didn't seem that bad, but now it's done the ride is distinctly quieter and smoother, so yes it was that bad.

Took it to the all-makes independent that's convenient for work, who earned my trust over 5 years with the old Rover 75. The proprietor seemed to have insisted on taking it for the test drive, and was positively drooling over the 159 when I collected it: "it does drive well, doesn't it, and looks so good".

Hopefully that's it until May, when it'll be time for an oil service, the first change of cam belt and water pump, and a few other bits of TLC. I'm thinking Italia Speed near Newbury for that job.
AO Member

County: Pembrokeshire

Member car:

2008 Brera 2.4

Gave mine a bloody good Italian tune-up
Wezley and SpiderSaint like this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Today I spent the day at Autolusso working with Ned and his team on the cooler mod discussed earlier in this thread. It worked a treat

Full details on my blog as it was easier to write it once: Alfa 159 Gearbox Cooler Modification | Jabablog
AO Member

Just picked up my 2.4 ti and have a little worry that something maybe wrong... I requested before I bought that they had the Cambelt done, which it has with a full service aswell.

So the problem is it struggles on the very first start of the day, fires up then can't catch the correct revs and cuts out, second start and it's fine but tick over is very unsettled. Also produces a fair amount of smoke on tick over can smell inside aswell. Once in gear and driving all seems perfect! Just wondering would this be a issue with the recent Cambelt change? Also occasionally with the first start up it throws up a fault glow plug light flashes but then it's fine? Any input much appreciated!

Cheers.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today