What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 166 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

AO Member

County: England
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce100 View Post
Door defenders keep the worst dents off .
Magnet is felt covered and foam tubing strong black nylon.
Can relax a little more when parked in car parks.
100 notes ebay.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Any Pictures?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: hampshire
Garage
Will try to upload some.

AO Member

Garage
Cant upload any pics.
But have found my defenders on Amazon.
Bit less than i paid.
Door defender ni 627843040002 car door protection 70cm long x4 black

AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Cleaned the guff that collects down the side of the rear boot shuts, makes a surprising amount of difference

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color
AO Member

County: Hampshire
So it's been a few months but as promised update on what the wheels look like, not to sure i prefer them, but it drives so much better with these wheels with Pirelli p zero's Mrs says looks less chavvy more executive.

I'll take that as a compliment

Lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1450645833504.jpg (81.9 KB, 42 views)
BoltfromtheBlue likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanalpha159 View Post
So it's been a few months but as promised update on what the wheels look like, not to sure i prefer them, but it drives so much better with these wheels with Pirelli p zero's Mrs says looks less chavvy more executive.

Lol.
They're hatchback wheels aren't they?
Which ones were the ''chavvy'' wheels?
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Spider 2.2JTS

Quote:

Lol.
Turbines suit the 159 and Spider very well - I'm thinking of doing the same on my Spider - this one looks really good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG01266-20131125-1708.jpg (137.4 KB, 23 views)
AO Member

County: Hampshire
These are the wheels i had on, unfortunately I had something effect the lacker and they peeled really bad! I'm keeping them and going to refurbish. I did personally really like the look of them, the new ones are nice perhaps not as mean looking now tho
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1450686393204.jpg (69.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpeg image_1450686409802.jpeg (298.9 KB, 38 views)
Bruce100 likes this.

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darranna View Post
Not sure why but the signature doesn't always show

The signature is only displayed on your first post on each page
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
These are the wheels i had on, unfortunately I had something effect the lacker and they peeled really bad! I'm keeping them and going to refurbish. I did personally really like the look of them, the new ones are nice perhaps not as mean looking now tho
Ah, I see what she means!
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
I quite like those and I think they suit your colour car. I would be inclinded to have the refurbished but in a different colour, maybe Graphite or Gunmetal
Bruce100 likes this.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:

Lol.
I bet they're a ***** to clean!
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Personally dont like black alloys, but those do look very smart on your colour car.

AO Member

Member car:

Dropped off the car at my mechanic for its 120K service. Besides filter changes and MAF cleaning etc, the handbrake needs a replacement (hadn't noticed it, as I never really use it), and a new EGR is fitted - once again.

I bought the car three years ago with 69K on the clock. At the 90K service, my mechanic changed the EGR as well due to the lag at 2000 RPM that I could notice. Now a new one, only 30K and 1,5 years later (yes, there was a lag again but much less than the previous time). I do not know if the previous owner changed the EGR at all during her 6 year ownership - but currently the car is on its third EGR, at least - potentially even more.

Blanking the EGR is not an option for me over here in Switzerland. If I would get caught for doing it, the fine would be massive - so forget about even mentioning it. Luckily 95% of my driving is on highway in 5th or 6th gear and so far I have never had any clogged DPF/EGR issues.

Therefore, a question to the guys who still run with an EGR: have you had to change the EGR as well at regular service intervals?

P.s. Luckily my car is still under warranty, and both the handbrake and the EGR goes on the warranty. Added a picture what she looked like at the drop off at the garage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 159_str.jpg (31.4 KB, 20 views)
Lord_of_beard likes this.

Alfa Romeo - Veni, Vidi, Vici.

OEM springs for Sale. Brera 2.4 JTDM 09

I have some original springs for sale from my Brera diesel. i put Lowered springs on it years ago and never got round to getting rid of the originals. i thought this might be the best place if anyone is struggling with parts from the dealer.
They only have 20k use and are using space in my garage now.
Anyone interested email me at sambellaby@yahoo.co.uk.

Thanks. Guys.
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalfisti View Post
Dropped off the car at my mechanic for its 120K service. Besides filter changes and MAF cleaning etc, the handbrake needs a replacement (hadn't noticed it, as I never really use it), and a new EGR is fitted - once again.

I bought the car three years ago with 69K on the clock. At the 90K service, my mechanic changed the EGR as well due to the lag at 2000 RPM that I could notice. Now a new one, only 30K and 1,5 years later (yes, there was a lag again but much less than the previous time). I do not know if the previous owner changed the EGR at all during her 6 year ownership - but currently the car is on its third EGR, at least - potentially even more.

Blanking the EGR is not an option for me over here in Switzerland. If I would get caught for doing it, the fine would be massive - so forget about even mentioning it. Luckily 95% of my driving is on highway in 5th or 6th gear and so far I have never had any clogged DPF/EGR issues.

Therefore, a question to the guys who still run with an EGR: have you had to change the EGR as well at regular service intervals?

P.s. Luckily my car is still under warranty, and both the handbrake and the EGR goes on the warranty. Added a picture what she looked like at the drop off at the garage
Get a partial blanking plate if the police are that scary!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color
AO Member

Garage
bought a 159
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Not sure which engine you have but in my previous car a 1.9 GT, I only ever had to clean it. Several times over four years.

My 159 last night after I reversed a fair way back down a road developed a fault. The hill start symbol came on followed by the "security system failure" warning message. I'd also been using the spare key. This morning it was still showing the error and I couldn't start the car. Now, I normally just use the clutch to start it but after trying the brake instead it started. The A/C display then went blank. I've had this display blanking once before.

After a few restarts and miles later everything goes out. Back to normal. I had read whilst out (I'd took my mum's car for an MOT) that a low or dead battery causes this from a thread on here, so I'm guessing that the battery had charged up properly as I've been off work since Thursday and only used it for short journeys.

Anyway, and I'm tempting fate, the "glow plug not available" warning has cleared too. Car currently on one of my Optimate chargers.

Self repairing "Christine" perhaps as it has now twice self healed I've now learned the car does have hill start but I'm damned if I can work out how to use it even after reading the manual. Incidently I also found out why my internal boot release stopped working, it's a menu option

What a Christmas so far........

Priorities I find, are usually someone else's.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

159 TI

[QUOTE=Wezley;14132769]Not sure which engine you have but in my previous car a 1.9 GT, I only ever had to clean it. Several times over four years.

My 159 last night after I reversed a fair way back down a road developed a fault. The hill start symbol came on followed by the "security system failure" warning message. I'd also been using the spare key. This morning it was still showing the error and I couldn't start the car. Now, I normally just use the clutch to start it but after trying the brake instead it started. The A/C display then went blank. I've had this display blanking once before.

After a few restarts and miles later everything goes out. Back to normal. I had read whilst out (I'd took my mum's car for an MOT) that a low or dead battery causes this from a thread on here, so I'm guessing that the battery had charged up properly as I've been off work since Thursday and only used it for short journeys.

Anyway, and I'm tempting fate, the "glow plug not available" warning has cleared too. Car currently on one of my Optimate chargers.

Self repairing "Christine" perhaps as it has now twice self healed I've now learned the car does have hill start but I'm damned if I can work out how to use it even after reading the manual. Incidently I also found out why my internal boot release stopped working, it's a menu option

Lord_of_beard likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

[QUOTE=Dakster;14135977]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezley View Post
Not sure which engine you have but in my previous car a 1.9 GT, I only ever had to clean it. Several times over four years.

Hey that's my story get your own
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

MiTo & Spider LE

After some experimenting with my Karcher pressure washer, I gave the Spider it's first wash at home today now that I have got the pressure washer approach ok enough to my liking. Will still be buying an air foam gun that uses a compressor in the future but still it is handy to have. I also did it to take the last pictures of it with its current wheels on before they are changed late January. Also I've never got any pictures of it with the roof down either.

Apart from going to a pro detailing/cleaning place at times in the future I'll be cleaning the Spider at home, given that there are some areas mainly around the windows that can let water in it if you give it a lot of force it is much better to do it at home since you have complete control. One thing though I did hear some couple after walking past and looking mumble with one of the lines I could hear "should have it valeted," yeah sure I can just go and get it properly valeted just like that. Some people never have anything positive to say.

Mind you, when I was taking the pictures in the location I picked quite a few people walk down there on a day like today and I did get a couple complement me and talk to me about the car for a few minutes, which was nice and restored things somewhat.

There are only 3 photos here, I did get more which I need to edit, I'll put those in the new thread I'll start when the wheels are on, along with some other changes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03-01.jpg (172.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 03-02.jpg (187.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 03-03.jpg (166.5 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Jean_Luc Picard; 27-12-15 at 17:41.
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2.2JTS

After having the silver roll hoop cover ripped off by the roof again - I've now done the electrical cord in the groove mod (pic 'borrowed' from original post) - so easy to do and the roof operation is definitely smoother - no more loud bangs!
Also oiled all the roof hinges and greased the latches...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rollhoop.jpg (62.0 KB, 16 views)
AO Member

Garage
Completed the Nearside rear Disc and Pads as well as refurbishing under the arch etc.

Details are on my website 2008 Alfa Romeo Spider 2.2 JTS LE

Its getting quite long now so I might have to have a think about breaking it down.
matty74 likes this.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darranna View Post
Completed the Nearside rear Disc and Pads as well as refurbishing under the arch etc.

Details are on my website 2008 Alfa Romeo Spider 2.2 JTS LE

Its getting quite long now so I might have to have a think about breaking it down.
Hi

Just had a browse of your website - really good. It's always in my mind to faff and do the stuff you've done, but I've just moved house from having a massive double garage that you could do a 3 point turn in, to a house with a garage you can drive in to but then can't open the doors wide enough to get out of the car.
Darranna likes this.
AO Member

County: Greater London
Garage
Quote:

I have a 2008 2.4 JTDm. A reconditioned EGR valve was fitted at 43k miles in 2011 about a month after the warranty ended. This is still in the car now at 75K miles. So they can need replacing, but 3 seems quite a lot.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today