What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 164 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
[QUOTE=Major_Clanger;14058585]After recently blanking the EGR I thought I'd have a look at the MAF sensor. Totally clogged after just 30k miles! /QUOTE]

Good knees, but think it's your MAP sensor in there
With it fully blanked, the manifold it gradually self clean a bit, I sprayed some EGR cleaner in the manifold to help loosen some of the deposits.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: England
Garage
Wheels are off for new tyres and wheel refurb. The wheels look ok, but they have the dealer made them look pretty by having the faces painted, which means the backs of the wheels have rough dry paint all over them and there's paint runs in the faces. They will be stripped and powder coated. Discs are tatty so I've just ordered new ones together with new pads. I also need new caliper pins as one is completely seized and will have to be drilled out. Changed the Spark Plugs (they needed changing). Fixed the lock on the box behind the driver's seat, Just needs re-installing. Fitted new carpet mats. Fitted my number plates,. That's about it for today, It gets dark way too early, nice and mild though at 12 degrees.

Pictures from my phone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151206_131627.jpg (205.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20151206_132407.jpg (93.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20151206_144923.jpg (63.0 KB, 12 views)

Link to my website http://darranna.jigsy.com/ Last Updated 15/05/2016
AO Member

County: Cornwall
Garage
Seeing as I'm keeping the saloon now for a while - Missus Beard says I can have a Spider if I don't get a Brera so roll on spring! - I have today enjoyed fitting the genuine alloy pedals accessory. They look brilliant and the aluminium really accents with the Lusso Aluminium dash. I would say that for anyone doing this though to make sure you get plenty of drill bits! (I bought 5 x 2.5mm from Screwfix for the pilot holes and have 1 left!), it's a tight space and the odd angle means you will snap quite a few.

Now running out of accessories to pimp my car with

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
159 2.2 JTS Lusso, Prodrive 245/40/19 - Dunlop SP Sport Max, Celtic Tuning Remap 213.7 bhp at the wheels (248 at the fly), Rev Limit removed, Pipercross Filter, Tri Halo headlight conversion #projecthalo
AO Member

County: Kyiv
Garage
Hi!
Two days ago I got 159 SW 1.9 JTDm Nero Carbonio.
p.s. Previous Alfa was 156 2.5 Blu Cosmo.
Lord_of_beard likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

159 and Spider (916 though ) washed.
lussoman likes this.

Last edited by Wezley; 08-09-16 at 14:47.
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by snare View Post
Thanks!
I thoroughly buffed my silver cap, painted it black, clear coated it ... and then I became impatient and fired up my fan to speed up the drying process between new clear coats ... and deformed the cap
Now I have to order a new one.
Will post today.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by freelunch View Post
If it's the same one I had, it's got a nice driver's seat. It probably hasn't been washed since I had it!
Its cleaner now, outside anyway but the inside is just too far gone, I think it might have been a zoo at one point but I would have to check through its history to confirm lol.
I dont think Ive ever seen a car front end so badly marked up with stone chips, looks like part of its life was spent chasing gritting lorries.
Laurence if you are reading this then I am grateful, honest ;0)
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
159 and Spider (916 though ) washed.
The Spider looks very tasty. Really miss my previous GTV
Wezley likes this.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage
Picked her up from Autolusso with front sub frame treated and new disks and pads, since Ive had it I thought brakes were crap but not any more.
Few more jobs need doing, powerflex bushes next on list with front upper arms and a full underseal but they can wait till new year.
Bit lighter in the back pocket but very happy.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

MiTo & Spider LE

Nothing in terms of work on the car (though more will be happening soon) however found out today while driving in the nice sunshine that the sun visors are funnily enough more hopeless than bringing a knife to a gunfight! I'm noticing in general since the service it is gradually improving, also a good job I had the front brake pads and discs replaced before that as the difference there is pretty much night and day now.
AO Member

County: South Australia
We went on a nice cruise in the ti Sportwagon with the Alfa Club on Sunday, through the beautiful Adelaide Hills. It is lovely to drive through the twisty roads and the 2.4 JTDM makes easy work of the hills. I got it serviced and new rear disks and pads fitted last week, ready for my wife and I to drive the 2,000km to Brisbane to spend Christmas with our daughter. We are greatly looking forward to the drive.

I am really pleased with the 245/35/19" Pirelli Cinturato P1 tyres we purchased a couple of years ago. They have done over 40,000km and have another 10,000km to go, according to the tyre dealer. We got a deal with free rotation and balancing every 10,000km for the life of the tyres, which I am sure has helped them last so long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0607.jpg (111.4 KB, 18 views)

Current Alfas:
2004 GT 3.2 V6, Grigio Stromboli
2008 159 ti 2.4 JTDM Sportwagon, Grigio Stromboli
1989 75 3 litre V6, black
1988 75 3 litre, red, (son's car now)
2000 156 TS 2 litre, Cosmos Blue, (daughter's car)
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

2000km I would have thought flying a better option, however I'm sure the drive will still be enjoyable.
AO Member

County: Cornwall
Garage
New rear Tyres (already) the Sport Maxx RT from Dunlop lasted 7000 miles on the rear. Fronts currently have 4mm to go and have been switched to the rear. Still keen to keep road noise to a minimum so have swapped over to Dunlop Sport 01 - still controversial I know!
Really need to find time to get to Ned up at Autolusso again for some powerflex action and new shocks.
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

159 2.4

Cleaned inside and out so looking new yesterday.. then had a 400 mile round trip so shes filthy again! Oh well it was nice while it lasted but totally worth it!
AO Member

Quote:
2000km I would have thought flying a better option, however I'm sure the drive will still be enjoyable.
Australians - especially of my generation - are very fond of long road trips. My family started going on long interstate trips when I was little in the 1960s and my wife's family did so after they migrated from England in 1970. We continued the tradition when we got married and had kids. Our country is huge, with a wide range of terrain and climates and there is always something to see and experience. It is very common for Australians to buy a caravan when they retire and travel for months at a time. Flying is good when you have limited time, but a lot less interesting. We live in Adelaide, South Australia, which has a mediterranean climate and our daughter is in Brisbane, Queensland, where it is sub tropical. My wife and I haven't done a big road trip together for a couple of years so we are looking forward to this one. Having a fabulous car like the 159 ti 2.4 JTDM Sportwagon to do it in makes it even more enjoyable. Our daughter drove her 156 all the way from central Victoria to Townsville Qld, 1,700km north of Brisbane, early last year, when she was based there in the army. The total distance was around 3,000km. Townsville is tropical. We thought nothing of driving from Umbria, Italy, to Spain and back when we lived there in 2005.
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz3litre View Post
Australians - especially of my generation - are very fond of long road trips. My family started going on long interstate trips when I was little in the 1960s and my wife's family did so after they migrated from England in 1970. We continued the tradition when we got married and had kids. Our country is huge, with a wide range of terrain and climates and there is always something to see and experience. It is very common for Australians to buy a caravan when they retire and travel for months at a time. Flying is good when you have limited time, but a lot less interesting. We live in Adelaide, South Australia, which has a mediterranean climate and our daughter is in Brisbane, Queensland, where it is sub tropical. My wife and I haven't done a big road trip together for a couple of years so we are looking forward to this one. Having a fabulous car like the 159 ti 2.4 JTDM Sportwagon to do it in makes it even more enjoyable. Our daughter drove her 156 all the way from central Victoria to Townsville Qld, 1,700km north of Brisbane, early last year, when she was based there in the army. The total distance was around 3,000km. Townsville is tropical. We thought nothing of driving from Umbria, Italy, to Spain and back when we lived there in 2005.
Can't fault the idea or the car I recall a programme on TV at some point, it may have been a Top Gear episode actually. Can't remember exactly what it was but I got the impression (and can see why) that the Australian countryside (outback?) is a harsh place and certainly not one to be broken down in.

As Brits living on a tiddly widdly island I don't think we (certainly I) fully appreciate the size of Australia.

Driven a bit in Italy and Umbria in particular myself on a few occasions. Recently Rome > Pompeii > Umbria > Rome.
I have at least three motoring violations (courtesy of the hire car company and the Italian authorities) to deal with at some point for my efforts I do like a good road trip myself.

Priorities I find, are usually someone else's.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
AO Member

County: hampshire
Garage
Fitted 16mm eibach wheel spacers on front after pro springs had settled.
Was nervous they may rub but they dont, what they have done is improve the stance and have filled the arches perfectly.
No difference driving at speed on carridgeways or B roads blasts.
Still handles faultlessly.
Rears to do next but thinking 10mm as the tyres seem closer to the arch.
Happy so far.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

County: -
Garage
Bought, collected, and fitted a set of 159 ti alloys. Looks lots better now!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12...a60f690a4e.jpg

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
giblets46 and Bruce100 like this.
AO Member

County: -
Garage
Just fitted 4 new winter tyres : Goodyear ultra grip 9s. They are surprisingly quiet after the Michelin and Pirelli summer ones!
AO Member

Quote:
Can't fault the idea or the car I recall a programme on TV at some point, it may have been a Top Gear episode actually. Can't remember exactly what it was but I got the impression (and can see why) that the Australian countryside (outback?) is a harsh place and certainly not one to be broken down in.

As Brits living on a tiddly widdly island I don't think we (certainly I) fully appreciate the size of Australia.
The outback is the central part of Australia where it is extremely dry and mostly dirt roads and tracks, depending on where you go. To go there you need a car with good ground clearance and one you don't mind getting dinged and scratched. Most people use four wheel drives for that reason, but you probably don't need the four wheel drive function most of the time. Lots of people, including friends of ours, go out there on adventures on a regular basis, often in convoy with experienced people. You need to be well prepared, provisioned and experienced. Sat phones and two way radio are a good idea too. You are pretty safe if you do all those things and listen to advice.

For our road trip, we are travelling entirely on main roads through South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland. Enter Adelaide to Brisbane in your maps app and you will see where we are going. We are going via Mildura, Tamworth, Forbes, Parkes and Armidale. The country around the last three is beautiful, hilly and rich bush land and is known as New England. It can be very cold and wet in Winter. I love it. Google those towns and you will see what I mean.
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz3litre View Post
The outback is the central part of Australia where it is extremely dry and mostly dirt roads and tracks, depending on where you go. To go there you need a car with good ground clearance and one you don't mind getting dinged and scratched. Most people use four wheel drives for that reason, but you probably don't need the four wheel drive function most of the time. Lots of people, including friends of ours, go out there on adventures on a regular basis, often in convoy with experienced people. You need to be well prepared, provisioned and experienced. Sat phones and two way radio are a good idea too. You are pretty safe if you do all those things and listen to advice.

For our road trip, we are travelling entirely on main roads through South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland. Enter Adelaide to Brisbane in your maps app and you will see where we are going. We are going via Mildura, Tamworth, Forbes, Parkes and Armidale. The country around the last three is beautiful, hilly and rich bush land and is known as New England. It can be very cold and wet in Winter. I love it. Google those towns and you will see what I mean.
Sounds really good. I will take a look. :Envious smiley:
AO Member

County: Cheshire
What sort of money are you guys paying for wheel refurb's, I was quoted 320.00 for four, I thought it was a bit steep...........but then again I am tight!
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philjay50 View Post
What sort of money are you guys paying for wheel refurb's, I was quoted 320.00 for four, I thought it was a bit steep...........but then again I am tight!
I paid a meagre 200. The wheels I will say look OK. There are marks where they have had to clean (sandpaper grooves) the wheel spokes because they were badly corroded. A local garage to my Mum's did it and they said because of the number of spokes it would have been a bit much to fill and prepare.

I'm happy, they are 10ft wheels. Any closer and you can see the marks

I have seen work they did on other wheels which were far less corroded and TBH they looked as good as the company whom did the F355 mag alloy wheels.
AO Member

County: England
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philjay50 View Post
Mine are in being done as I write The cost will be 53.00 + VAT per wheel (and that's trade).

The wheels will have the tyres removed, dipped and stripped, any repairs necessary will be carried out. The wheels will then be powder coated and the tyres refitted and balanced.

The wheels looked like (the images below) before I sent them away. And even the dealer said why am I bothering?

The wheel had lacquer runs and the backs were covered in overspray, they looked crap (to me)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_2213.jpg (94.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2215.jpg (71.5 KB, 25 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
The 10-spokes are near impossible to keep in good condition.
Worst car I've ever had for kerbing - a combination of the spokes being 'proud' and the curvy bulbous body shape which makes the car difficult to park against kerbs without resorting to mirrors all the time.
I have a set of GTV alloys in my garage which were in use for 5 years until I upgraded.
They're absolutely mint in comparison.
Not my driving style, honest guv!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today