What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 163 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

AO Member

County: Greater London
Garage
Collected mine from the local independent FIAT/Alfa workshop after a day under 4 weeks with power-up errors and not starting. See details over in the "not starting" thread. http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...tarting-2.html (Not Starting). Fingers crossed for a long period of no more breakdowns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Pembrokeshire

Member car:

2008 Brera 2.4

Had a good day today.

Black grille fitted to match the now black upper. It'll be totally "stealth" by the time I've finished

Cheap and cheerful aftermarket filter fitted in place of the air-box as a trial and temporary waterproofing added.

Now for the big smile.

DPF removed and straight pipe in place. Fixitsan dongle in and working. Got bl**dy soaked as the rain was blowing horizontally under the car, but well worth the discomfort
AO Member

County: England
Garage
Talking

Collected my new (to me) 2008 939 Spider LE today, she drives like a dream and everything works (I hope I haven't tempted fate )
BoltfromtheBlue and giblets46 like this.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Gave it a badly-needed wash, and am horrified at the number of stone chips on the bumper. It's only 5 weeks since clearing up the last lot (What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today?), and now there are a dozen fresh ones twinkling whitely against the red.

Ah well, nothing on Sunday so I'll do it then.

Last edited by ChrisH77; 27-11-15 at 20:17.
AO Member

Garage
My first day with the Spider and so the first thing was to give her a wash, (You don't know any car until you have washed it) I didn't find any disasters. The drain tubes in the petrol flap was blocked as was one of the ones under the front scuttle cover. Both thoroughly cleaned and working perfectly. I also fitted a battery conditioner cable as she won't get used much this time of year so at least the battery will be kept well charged. Just ordered a pair of mats from eBay.

I'll be regularly updating my website blog and I will add details and pictures there.
Lord_of_beard likes this.

Link to my website http://darranna.jigsy.com/ Last Updated 15/05/2016

County: -
New guy here. Bought a 159 SW a couple of days ago ...
Yesterday, wrapped the gear knob in new leather. Also, wrapped the steering wheel plastic plate in that same leather (it was pretty damaged color-wise) ...
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by snare View Post
Yesterday, wrapped the gear knob in new leather. Also, wrapped the steering wheel plastic plate in that same leather (it was pretty damaged color-wise) ...
Welcome aboard
Good choice of motor. Post a pic or two when you can
AO Member

County: Cheshire
After 15k miles I finally decided to do the windscreen rattle cure, but only got half way as I couldn't remove the windscreen wipers. Anyhoo I did the passenger side as that was easy to do without removing wipers and siliconed the rattly clips after duck taping the windscreen edge. I've now invested in the Sealey Wiper pullers as they look to be useful for lots of other things as well, just need to wait for the rain to stop now....

...speaking of which I unblocked the drain hole which had filled with water (see photo) so that was a bonus. I thought it would never stop pouring out! I park my car on a slope and at an angle so the driver's side drain hole gets all the debris.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151128_112159.jpg (111.5 KB, 29 views)
AO Member

Garage
You shouldn't need wiper pullers. Under the nut and push down, rather than pulling up, that should release the wipers.

I did the same on Saturday to clean out the drain tubes on the Spider.
AO Member

County: hampshire
Garage
I just clamped on mole grip on edge of wiper at stud squeeze handle and they come off no problem.
Got to do it again because i can hear a rattle from same clips around windscreen.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darranna View Post
I'll be regularly updating my website blog and I will add details and pictures there.
Nice car. I read your blog and was astounded by your mileage! Over a year (same engine) I've averaged 26 mpg, although I got 30 mpg from one tank. Fill it and let us know your mileage from the pump reading, instead of the computer. Very curious!
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by freelunch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darranna View Post
I'll be regularly updating my website blog and I will add details and pictures there. http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/image...ies/readit.gif
Nice car. I read your blog and was astounded by your mileage! Over a year (same engine) I've averaged 26 mpg, although I got 30 mpg from one tank. Fill it and let us know your mileage from the pump reading, instead of the computer. Very curious!
Will do. Although it will take some time to empty the tank as I only use the for high days and holidays.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

I love this 159, I really do

Quote:
I have my knob in front of me on my desk Tidying it up a bit and cleaning it. I bought a new silver cap so the knob should look a little better.

End of last week I had the brake discs and pads I had bought earlier, replaced. The weather being crap I let the garage who refurbished my wheels (at the same time) change them over.

Saturday I changed the oil, filter and air filter. What a pig removing the lower engine cover. A right mix of bolts and self tappers all more or less seized. One of them towards the back was impossible to remove so I worked around it.
That air filter though, how low down in the car is that? I read on here to be careful in slightly deep water, so take note if you are not already aware. The filter sits just above the lower engine cover
Noticed the frame below the engine a tad rusty, so I waxoyled it. Replaced nearside fog-light and added LED sidelights.

I absolutely adore this car and love the 5 cylinder 2.4. I still need to change the power steering fluid, fix the glow plug error and have the inside valeted. It'll be perfect then though
I wanted this when I bought my GT but the right one for the right price never appeared. Glad I got there in the end. A definite all time favourite car.

Priorities I find, are usually someone else's.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
Welcome aboard
Good choice of motor. Post a pic or two when you can
Thanks!
I didn't tell which motor I have in my AR
It's 1.9 JTDM 120HP. Listened to people telling it's weak, but I find it very good. Enough for me.
Pics coming soon, when I finish my small tweaks ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
I have my knob in front of me on my desk Tidying it up a bit and cleaning it. I bought a new silver cap so the knob should look a little better.
I thoroughly buffed my silver cap, painted it black, clear coated it ... and then I became impatient and fired up my fan to speed up the drying process between new clear coats ... and deformed the cap
Now I have to order a new one.

One question:
No key shells at that guy from carelettronica. Any other sources?
I totally have to renew my key!
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Thanks!
I didn't tell which motor I have in my AR
It's 1.9 JTDM 120HP. Listened to people telling it's weak, but I find it very good. Enough for me.
Pics coming soon, when I finish my small tweaks ...

I thoroughly buffed my silver cap, painted it black, clear coated it ... and then I became impatient and fired up my fan to speed up the drying process between new clear coats ... and deformed the cap
Now I have to order a new one.
BHP 0-60, they're numbers a manufacturer produces on paper. It really is quite irrelevant. Only relevant to the driver when they drive the car, or for pub talk

Re gear knob cap, sounds like you were onto something too. I still have my old one somewhere. Give me an address and you can try again if you wish.
New cap about 13 off eBay. A bit steep for some plastic I think. Looks better because my old one is a bit manky but you are welcome to it.
AO Member

Garage
Left her at Autolusso to get my juddering brakes seen to, came away with a 156 loaner, well please to get a courtesy car but boy has it had a hard life, I'll make it a bit prettier if I have it all weekend as I hate dirty Alfas
Regional Representative
For South Central - AOSC

Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

oooh, ive not had the 156, only the 147
AO Member

Garage
Its a 52 plate 2.4 smoker, I do like it but I'll like it even more when I hand it back and get back in my Spider.

oooo its snowing on the forum ! we dont do snow down South
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderSaint View Post
Its a 52 plate 2.4 smoker, I do like it but I'll like it even more when I hand it back and get back in my Spider.

oooo its snowing on the forum ! we dont do snow down South

I actually think the 2.4 tractor 159 I have is better than the 916 Spider my missus has...

In fact one of the best cars I have ever had the pleasure of.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderSaint View Post
... came away with a 156 loaner, well please to get a courtesy car but boy has it had a hard life, I'll make it a bit prettier if I have it all weekend as I hate dirty Alfas
If it's the same one I had, it's got a nice driver's seat. It probably hasn't been washed since I had it!
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Gave it a wash last night, leather it dry, took it for it's first MOT test since I've had it. Clean pass, no issues at all.
First car I've taken to the MOT station in 30+ years that they couldn't put on the brake rollers and had to use a decellerometer on a road test.
Guy
AO Member

Garage
After recently blanking the EGR I thought I'd have a look at the MAF sensor. Totally clogged after just 30k miles! Hate to think what the manifold is like. Anyway, I'm now about to clean it and then go for a blast so it can reset itself.

And the roads are finally dry, hurrah!
AO Member

Garage
Gave it a quick wash off to remove some mud splatter. I seem to have quite a lot of stone chips on the read doors where they flair out ahead of the wheel arch. Rats. And the wheels have some curb rash I will need to get looked at in spring.

One crumb of comfort from a new ECU - the boot light comes on reliably now. Oh, and the car goes as well.

Anyone know where I can get a blanking plug for the towing eye hole in the front bumper in Oltramare blue? The AA man seems to have gone off with mine.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltfromtheBlue View Post
Gave it a quick wash off to remove some mud splatter. I seem to have quite a lot of stone chips on the read doors where they flair out ahead of the wheel arch. Rats. And the wheels have some curb rash I will need to get looked at in spring.

One crumb of comfort from a new ECU - the boot light comes on reliably now. Oh, and the car goes as well.

Anyone know where I can get a blanking plug for the towing eye hole in the front bumper in Oltramare blue? The AA man seems to have gone off with mine.
A set of front mudflaps will help enormously with crud on the rear wheel arches. The genuine ones don't look out of place either. Failing that a good covering in helicopter tape.
Bruce100 likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today