What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 162 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
I do like those yellow calipers Troll, looks smart.
Troll likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcooker View Post
I do like those yellow calipers Troll, looks smart.
Yes so do I
Troll likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll View Post
Almost finished cleaning it, at least now its got a coat of wax on it, also did the Wife's Mondeo too so both cars are ready for winter.

A few photo's, although it was getting dark and no sun but it does look nice and clean now, and the paint is like glass.
Nice, what makes is the spoiler?
gakfive likes this.
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post
Nice, what makes is the spoiler?
No idea, I presume its the Alfa optional one that was fitted when the bodykit was fitted. ?!
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
Yes so do I
Am I going to start a new trend ???

I did the same yellow to the Brembo's on my Focus RS, looked so much better than the std silver or Red like most people do them.

Glad you like.
AO Member

County: Cornwall
Quote:
Almost finished cleaning it, at least now its got a coat of wax on it, also did the Wife's Mondeo too so both cars are ready for winter.

A few photo's, although it was getting dark and no sun but it does look nice and clean now, and the paint is like glass.
Looks stunning, I'm always tempted by a machine polisher for my 159, just scared I'll screw the paint up
AO Member

County: Swansea

Member car:

159 Ti 1.9 JTDM

Talking

Ordered some new Discs and Pads for the beast! Discs arrived today :thumb:

Ordered some EBC Ultimax ultra quiet slotted performance rotor. Bought it off the bay at 162 however, the seller currently has 10% off purchases over 100 so came to 152 for the front discs for the brembo type.

Was going to get some Red stuff pads but couldn't justify 85 for pads! so went for the matching EBC ulyimax black stuff pads at 25
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Am I going to start a new trend ???

I did the same yellow to the Brembo's on my Focus RS, looked so much better than the std silver or Red like most people do them.

Glad you like.
I do, unfortunately it's already being done though.

And a Boast. My old F355 was the reverse
lussoman likes this.

Last edited by Wezley; 08-09-16 at 14:44.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Yellow calipers denote ceramic brakes on Porsches.
They've been doing it for donkeys years.
Wezley likes this.
AO Member

County: Croston Lancs
Booked in with GUS @ Alfatune for 90k Service ... Oh and for a DPF removal EGR delete remap too ... Splendid Chap

Roll on 14th Dec
AO Silver Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
mm passed the mot with absolutely no problems what so ever, i bloody love my alfa i do
SpiderSaint likes this.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

159 Tbi Ti

First post here so all mods done over my first 6 months of ownership
159 Tbi Ti

Gearbox rebuild - Warranty covered 3/4 of this.

New tyres - changed from 235-40-19 to 245-40 19.

Short shifter - Makes for such a better drive.

New bulbs - for better night driving.

Water pump changed - Cam belt had been done just before I got the car, after reading here about water pump issues, peace of mind was main reason.

Wireless charger and mount for mobile installed - no need to fumble with cables before driving off.

Water reservoir changed as it had a slight leak.

Car is running great at the moment and I'm very happy as it's a great drive and the amount of comments I have had from people about how good it looks has surprised me, even though this was the main reason I went for the Alfa as I think the 159 is the best looking car on the road without spending silly money on a sports car.

My plans for future mods
I would like to be able to stream music fro my phone.
I would like to do something style wise, I know it's a great looking car so something small to keep it's standard looks but make it different from the other 159's on the road, - as my front grill is a bit on the tatty side I think I will experiment on this with the thought - it don't work I can replace it.
I would like more power - as this can be an expensive route I might convert to lpg to cover the cost - more research will need to be done first.
Robbo73 likes this.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

MiTo & Spider LE

Had it serviced for the first time under my ownership. Predictably on top of the usual filter and oil/fluid changes some other issues have now been sorted given its mileage in relation to its age.

Long story short being very low mileage for its age many bits were stiff, some of which (spark plugs) hadn't ever been changed until now. From what I can tell despite being a 2008, it didn't get its first owner and actually moving until a few years after, so that's basically a long time stood there, and no doubt between when it first moved and now there have most likely been fairly long and inconsistent periods too. I do understand however that stuff like this occurs when buying lower mileage and was prepared that some work in progress will be needed. It is worth it though, especially in the long run. Also its quite enjoyable, watching and overseeing it improve and becoming what you want, almost like watching a film franchise storyline develop.

As a whole though, not too bad. I also had a BMC air filter installed, I know it is a bit hit and miss with people regarding issues with MAF sensors/puddles but let's see how it goes. Hopefully won't be so bad in my case as I don't use my Spider as my daily driver and tend to only drive it when the weather is better anyway. Driving home the car did feel a lot better just in general. Once again Gareth at Northern Alfa really knows his stuff and price was very good. He also dropped me off round Tickhill as usual in a Brera this time, which means at the moment along with owning a Spider I have at least been driven about a bit in a Brera and also a 159 (I got a lift back to the train station in one from the place I purchased the Spider from), so I've been across the whole 159 platform somewhat! Sound stupid but I'm pretty happy with that as I feel the 159 design/era sentimentally reached out to me the most, even though I was only 15 when it came out. Watching Top Gear all the time back then most likely helped too!

Next thing on the list is the subframes and inner wheels, getting them reoiled.

Last edited by Jean_Luc Picard; 21-11-15 at 22:12.
AO Member

County: Bristol
Finally cleared the annoying change oil message at ever start up (since the oil and filter change in Sept) ending the long run of dash warning messages that took up half of every journey.

Previous issues were the regular failed right stop light along with periodic failed right rear indicator warnings that just needed the plug connector contacts cleaned and reset.
Happy days!
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

Scratched the bumper on my gravel drive, took too steep of an approach. Seems like the bumper respray may take priority over food and electricity now. :/

County: Northumberland

Member car:

Brera

Thumbs Up Getting ready for winter

Topped up the ridiculously small washer bottle with 1:1 solution.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Vader View Post
Really?
Always thought it was ridiculously large! (2008 petrol Spider).
I wonder if these got upgraded or differ between models.
No matter how big a jug I use I've never once brimmed it.
AO Member

County: England
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Luc Picard View Post
In some ways it could be considered a bit daft but I spiced up my key today. My Tricolore keychain arrived today (actually ordered a few just in case) after searching eBay for a place that sold that style for a bit. Also replaced the flimsy yellow write on keyfob with a solid white plastic one to go with it. Again you could argue it's just a key, but it's an Alfa Romeo key and I feel it can complete the look if it is styled too.

Also just before taking my photos when having the car cleaned at the local place round the corner noticed some water getting through the door window seals and also the boot and dripping down, definitely a Jeremy Clarkson road test/Top Gear moment there! I'm guessing appropriate sealing lubricant hasn't been applied very well or at all when being worked on in the past, so that's another thing to look at in due course.

Thanks for liking the photos, I have included another three I did which are a bit better. Being an AROC member too I submitted them for one to be considered for the 2016 Calendar as mentioned in the latest mag issue. I doubt any will pass but I guess it was worth a go anyway just in case.

Finally because the button's aren't too much on eBay (to me at least) I am considering getting a start/stop button and having it painted red to give the whole dash layout a nice subtle contrast. Getting it wrapped is also a temptation but I'm leaning more against doing that.
Looks lovely. I can't wait until Saturday when I pick my one up (only 3 more sleeps)!
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Vader View Post
I realised mine has no lid!!
Re-gassed it (and the 916 spider). So far so good.
AO Member

Garage
Just swapped my insurance over from my 2007 Mini Cooper S to the 2008 Spider LE - change in premium 0.76p

New premium price is 180.12 (benefit of being an old git )
AO Member

County: Greater London
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darranna View Post
Just swapped my insurance over from my 2007 Mini Cooper S to the 2008 Spider LE - change in premium 0.76p

New premium price is 180.12 (benefit of being an old git )
You must live somewhere with a good insurance rating and/or be able to garage the car. I'm an old enough git and insurance on my 159 2.4D in London is 352.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltfromtheBlue View Post
You must live somewhere with a good insurance rating and/or be able to garage the car. I'm an old enough git and insurance on my 159 2.4D in London is 352.
You need to move further east and get a garage
AO Member

County: Westmeath

Member car:

159 ti

Fitted new Powerflex bushes on the front lower wishbones of my 159 Ti today. Noticed absolutely zero difference driving the car afterwards despite the rumoured "transformation" but still hoping it will cure the dreaded uneven tyre wear problem.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

MiTo & Spider LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darranna View Post
Looks lovely. I can't wait until Saturday when I pick my one up (only 3 more sleeps)!
Thanks, will be nice to see yours when you get it. I'm guessing you are going through the same as when I got mine, you know you are getting it and it won't be long, but those few days seem to take an eternity because of the excitement.

I decided to take the 5 chrome air vent ring surrounds off my Spider today, I do like it with them on but after a while of having them I've come to prefer just having the rings around the 3 gauges. I think if I had the older 2007 spec with the silver grey coloured console fascia I would have kept them on as it blends in better.

Anyway from that if anybody is interested in a set of 5 chrome air vent rings then they can have them for 7.50 posted which saves a bit on buying a pair at the full price.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorman View Post
Fitted new Powerflex bushes on the front lower wishbones of my 159 Ti today. Noticed absolutely zero difference driving the car afterwards despite the rumoured "transformation" but still hoping it will cure the dreaded uneven tyre wear problem.
Ditto that, had mine done a couple of months ago! Still not convinced there's much difference, except as you say, to limit the uneven tyre wear.

Just had my first MOT done on the 159 this morning, which I bought in late March. 1st time for donkeys years that I've had an MOT done and passed first time without the need to have the car looked over and fixed beforehand

There was an advisory tho - uneven wear on the inside of the two front tyres. Probably / hopefully there from before I had the front bushes done...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today