What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 161 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

AO Member

County: Hampshire
Bought new wheels just need tyres! Egr valve clean on weekend, then in search for the twin exhaust just need more funds! ? Anyone got these wheels on a 159 would love to see pics hopefully they'll look the part. Will post pics once done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1446489214011.jpg (17.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg image_1446489255071.jpg (102.5 KB, 24 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Malfaist View Post
Had 40mins available yesterday, so decided to try to locate the exact position of the nearside squeaking! From getting my wife to rock the steering wheel it seems to be from lower part (a relief as upper wishbone was replaced only a few months back)
Car up - loads of creaking and groaning (mainly from the car), wheel off. Car then decided to give me the silent treatment. Not a peep from it, checked all joints and they seem good, injected a small amount of grease through the rubbers with a syringe just so that I had done something. Wheel on, back down and the test drive.. Still squeaking/creaking, possibly a little quieter.
Drive to work this morning wasn't a fair test as due to accident in the fog I had to take all manner of backroads with a skip lorry carving a way through the lanes for me.
Will see tonight if it is any better.

Had the same with mine tried to locate the noise after a few frustrated failed attempts the noise mysteriously disappeared!
AO Member

Garage
Very nice wheels and they'll look great on the 159.
I had a courtesy clover leaf G with those wheels and they really stood out.
AO Member

Cheers! It's always worrying buying new wheels and not knowing how they'll look! Especially after breaking the bank balance! Rice and beans for the rest of the month I'm sure it'll be worth it! ? I'll post pic once fitted.
SpiderSaint likes this.
AO Member

So took a gamble and bought a cheap eonon gps head unit!! Has anyone had any dealings with installation on a 159? If so where can I get patch leads/wiring harness from? Probably an impossible task but for 30 I thought it was worth a shot.

Thanks in advance.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce100 View Post
Fitted 4 x new red Eibach pro springs today to 159 Lusso, weird as I was hoping for it to be lower than before but is sitting a lttle higher?
Also waxoyled and treated all suspension parts whilst wheels were off.

Give it a week to settle,

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!
Hey mate don't worry ebiach shocks and springs also fitted about a year ago, was sitting higher for a few weeks looks great now! ?? I'll upload a pic to put you at ease.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1446588679036.jpg (69.8 KB, 39 views)
Bruce100 likes this.
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage
Spotted smoke coming from the back as I looked in the mirror prior to changing lanes on the M40 (Sth bound) yesterday am. Emergency drop in to Alfa Aid Maidenhead confirms its the upper Turbo inlet pipe. Normally not a problem until I found that the price for the replacement for an automatic is astronomical compared to that for a manual. Taped up now as a 'fix' until the new part arrives (hopefully) tomorrow. Glad it didn't happen last week, the part would've been available, but the language barrier might've been an issue !
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Washed and leathered dry, just started polishing it and the rains came back. Took the newly refurbed wheels to the tyre fitters and then swapped the wheels over when I got home. Nice set on 245*40*19 Continental Winters fitted now. Bring on the Winter!

I'll finish the polishing tomorrow if it's dry and give the interior a once over too. MOT in a couple of weeks.

Guy
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage
A brief gap in the weather this afternoon and I had a change to do a 2 stage machine polish and get some protection on my roof.

so I had already clayed the roof last weekend, so out with a Hexlogic yellow pad and Autobrite Direct enrich, followed by AD final finish on a hex logic white pad. Folowed by a coat og AD Cherry Glaze, and then 2 coats of LussoOro Wax.

Just need some dry weather to wash the car and get some wax on the rest of it. !!

Quick pic of roof before the rain came...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_0977_sml.jpg (107.0 KB, 23 views)
AO Member

Cleaned it... Well: sprayed it with car shampoo and hosed it down to clear off the week's leaves and bits over the flanks and rear. Drove it 170 miles through the wind and rain, and now it looks no different than this morning, before its 'wash'. So it goes.

The 4 hours of driving was simply good. Miles of plain 40 or 50 mph M-way limits. Plenty of 10-20 mph crawling round the North Circular. No chance at all to use the Alfa zip and handling. So what? Comfort. Climate. Music. Enjoy. So glad I have this car.

County: Edinburgh
Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post
Then got home, updated the maps on the avic to the 2015 ones, the had a look at the side light. Figures it's not the bulb that's the problem (not fully), but the connection.
The bulb seems to have separate circuits for each side, one of which is not a great connections and keeps flickering, going off, then on etc (with the Constant canbus notifications!) on that side of the cob. Any ideas or suggestions, may try and solder the two sides of the cob together

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
Got the same problem with one of my sidelights, thought it was the cheap LED but changed it with no improvement. Flickers when I move it or give the lights a bang. Canbus errors too.
You managed to fix it Giblets?
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Bit of a mess this weekend. Went to replace number plate ligh bulbs for LED, they stayed lit after ignition off. Pulled door card to replace speaker, the speaker wires have been snipped and the speaker bonded to the mounting. Same story with tweeters and some screws missing from previous install!
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richk220 View Post
Got the same problem with one of my sidelights, thought it was the cheap LED but changed it with no improvement. Flickers when I move it or give the lights a bang. Canbus errors too.
You managed to fix it Giblets?

Not yet, might start a thread in it...

richk220 likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Just bought a 2006 2.4 JTD 159. I may have a few questions as time goes on but for now..
I noticed the logo on stainless sill plate on the NS illuminates when the doors are open (I think that's when) but not on the driver's side. There is no mention of this at all that I can see in the owners manual?
Is it standard?
If so should it be on the driver's side too?
How do you access the bulb (assuming the driver's side illuminates)?
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Have you dumped the GT then Malc?
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
Have you dumped the GT then Malc?
It is on Autotrader. Still got it, but will be dumping it, yes.

Or scrapping it
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
Just bought a 2006 2.4 JTD 159. I may have a few questions as time goes on but for now..

I noticed the logo on stainless sill plate on the NS illuminates when the doors are open (I think that's when) but not on the driver's side. There is no mention of this at all that I can see in the owners manual?

Is it standard?

If so should it be on the driver's side too?

How do you access the bulb (assuming the driver's side illuminates)?

It's an optional extra, think it gets wired into the panel by the rear view mirror, think someone did a write up on here at some point

Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today?

In the last two weeks I have opened the garage door occasionally to stare at it.
Zoo likes this.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

MiTo & Spider LE

Took a few more updated shots of the Spider today, hopefully in a more moody setting/time instead of just on my drive. This is the last time I'll be driving it until I get it serviced closer to the end of the month, as it feels like it needs it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02-(04).jpg (194.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 02-(05).jpg (180.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 02-(06).jpg (163.8 KB, 17 views)
matty74, Troll, lussoman and 5 others like this.

Last edited by Jean_Luc Picard; 10-11-15 at 22:58.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Driving down the motorway, realised my left dipped beam was not working (along with the sidelight which was dodgy before), full beam and indicators were fine.

Having fiddled around with my flickering LED sidelight recently, I figured it was either a loose connection (I have HIDs) or something more serious related to both going out. I checked all the connections round the unit, nothing... Check the fuse, still intact, reseated and also gave the 'plug' next to the fuse box a good push in. Seems to have resolved it.

Bearing mind i had issues relating to the lift pump connection in the said fusebox, might be worth getting an auto electrician to double check the box.
Also can anyone advise where the left hand light unit earths? Is the sidelight on the same fuse as the dipped beam?

159 1.9JTDM Ti and Giulietta 2.0 Veloce
ex: Punto 55s, Golf Mk5 1.4FSi, A3 (8P) Sportback 2.0TDi SE, A4 (B8) 2.0TDI S-Line, 306 HDI Meridian

Last edited by giblets46; 11-11-15 at 10:19.
AO Silver Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Luc Picard View Post
Took a few more updated shots of the Spider today, hopefully in a more moody setting/time instead of just on my drive. This is the last time I'll be driving it until I get it serviced closer to the end of the month, as it feels like it needs it.
i bloody love alfas i do
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

MiTo & Spider LE

In some ways it could be considered a bit daft but I spiced up my key today. My Tricolore keychain arrived today (actually ordered a few just in case) after searching eBay for a place that sold that style for a bit. Also replaced the flimsy yellow write on keyfob with a solid white plastic one to go with it. Again you could argue it's just a key, but it's an Alfa Romeo key and I feel it can complete the look if it is styled too.

Also just before taking my photos when having the car cleaned at the local place round the corner noticed some water getting through the door window seals and also the boot and dripping down, definitely a Jeremy Clarkson road test/Top Gear moment there! I'm guessing appropriate sealing lubricant hasn't been applied very well or at all when being worked on in the past, so that's another thing to look at in due course.

Thanks for liking the photos, I have included another three I did which are a bit better. Being an AROC member too I submitted them for one to be considered for the 2016 Calendar as mentioned in the latest mag issue. I doubt any will pass but I guess it was worth a go anyway just in case.

Finally because the button's aren't too much on eBay (to me at least) I am considering getting a start/stop button and having it painted red to give the whole dash layout a nice subtle contrast. Getting it wrapped is also a temptation but I'm leaning more against doing that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02-(01).jpg (192.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 02-(02).jpg (176.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 02-(03).jpg (163.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Tricolore-Key.jpg (184.9 KB, 31 views)
hessian and SpiderSaint like this.

Last edited by Jean_Luc Picard; 12-11-15 at 18:50.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Played round with the lights, started p****g down halfway through, basically the ballast and the capacitor on that side has gone. Luckily had a spare (far smaller) ballast that I was going to use on the giulietta before I realised what a nightmare job it would be
Still hoping someone can advise if how/if the sidelight and dipped beam are related circuit wise

AO Member

County: hampshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanalpha159 View Post
Hey mate don't worry ebiach shocks and springs also fitted about a year ago, was sitting higher for a few weeks looks great now! ?? I'll upload a pic to put you at ease.
Thanks, you are right, the rear has settled and front now matches rear height, can slide flat hand on top of tyre and gently feel arch so approx hand thickness gap much better.
18" wheel.
Cheers
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage
Almost finished cleaning it, at least now its got a coat of wax on it, also did the Wife's Mondeo too so both cars are ready for winter.

A few photo's, although it was getting dark and no sun but it does look nice and clean now, and the paint is like glass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-11-15 15.57.27_sml.jpg (123.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-11-15 15.57.12_sml.jpg (145.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-11-15 15.56.49_sml.jpg (121.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-11-15 15.56.38_sml.jpg (145.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-11-15 16.00.06_sml.jpg (127.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-11-15 15.59.54_sml.jpg (176.0 KB, 26 views)
lussoman, hessian, Wezley and 2 others like this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today