What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 160 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage
This is a bit stupid but just realised we are on page 159 on the 159 forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage
For you @ Lussoman.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-10-27 11.20.58_sml.jpg (141.5 KB, 22 views)
gakfive, Bruce100 and hilift like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll View Post
For you @ Lussoman.
Very nice Troll, I admire your work .
Troll likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Purchased some new discs and pads. Bit of a pita, everyone keeps asking for my number plate to confirm fitment, then telling me I have the smaller discs when I have a Ti with the brembos

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll View Post
Finished paining calipers and fitted new decals.
Looks great and I planto do exactly the same. Any tips on painting those callipers?
AO Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by hessian View Post
Looks great and I planto do exactly the same. Any tips on painting those callipers?
Changed the gearbox oil yesterday. Replaced whatever was in there with Castrol Syntrans 75/90 Hopefully it smooth out the gearchanges a bit.
Whilst it was on the stands I cleaned the front subframe, wirebrushed it and gave it a coat of Hammerite followed by Waxoyl in all the cavities and under the front half of the car. Got the back half of the car to do. Will have to wait for the weekend. A truly horrible and messy job. I just love it
Lord_of_beard likes this.

County: -
I've done it no favours

I need a new/ recon/ used engine for my 159 but in searching the web I appear to have invited several 'offers' from variants of the same insolvent company (according to gov.uk) ... namely - 'Reconditioned Engines Ltd (REL), Unique Engines Ltd (UEL), and latterly 1ST Choice Engines Ltd'
Do I assume they are not to be trusted?
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg222 View Post
I need a new/ recon/ used engine for my 159 but in searching the web I appear to have invited several 'offers' from variants of the same insolvent company (according to gov.uk) ... namely - 'Reconditioned Engines Ltd (REL), Unique Engines Ltd (UEL), and latterly 1ST Choice Engines Ltd'
Do I assume they are not to be trusted?
Prety sure they were all on one of those TV shows! Speak to autolusso, they have brand new engines and reconned ones ready to go.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hessian View Post
Firstly I used E-tech brake caliper paint (not spray), this is a one part paint system, so no undercoat or lacquer required.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-Tech-Bra...CZXS9454roF5Ag

I gave the calipers a good rub down using 800 grit wet dry (dry only), make sure if you have any loose lacquer, give it a good rub down too.

I then cleaned them thoroughly using brake cleaner and left it to dry.

don't put the first coat on too thick else it will run, don't expect to cover it all in one go. I finished both calipers then went back to the first one and gave it another light coat.

I then let it dry overnight, and then in the morning gave it another final light coat to cover up any missed parts.

I left the calipers on the car and the pads in, simply because I couldn't find my punch to get the bloody pins out. But I masked it all up very carefully with tape.

HTH,
Good luck.
hessian likes this.

-----------------------------------
FOR SALE SOON - Alfa 159Ti 2011 2.0JTDm, Black with genuine Alfa bodykit and late spec interior .

Previous Alfa's = Fantasy Blue 156 2.4JTD Sportwagon |Alfa 156 V6 S/W with LPG | Nuvelo 147 GTA with Connect +, 18" alloys, Coilovers, CDA and remap| 156 2.4 JTD sportwagon with 185 BHP, lowered, 17" white speedline wheels, and Zender bodykit|156 V6 SP3 in Cosmos with big spoiler|1998 Spider TS in green.
AO Silver Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
im glad mine are already done
AO Member

County: Greater London
Garage
Cry Like A Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltfromtheBlue View Post
Up to St Abbs on Weds, a short section back to Beadnell by Seahouses on Friday and back to London on Sunday pm. About 800 miles altogether. I got the dreaded ASR/VDC/Hill hold not available disease at St Abbs. The starter would turn over OK, but something electronic prevented the engine starting. It finally fired on the 5th or 6th time of asking. Later a new warning appeared, "Have the engine checked" with no hint why. That persisted over 3 or 4 stops and starts then vanished after a fuel stop. Hey ho. No warnings now so it must be alright. Mustn't it?
It is not quite alright. It returned to London OK. It tatted about for 4 miles on Tues OK. On Weds the morning ASR/VDC/Hill hold not available disease was back and persistent. The AA spent 90 minutes checking battery, injector control, fuses, various connectors and the computer error codes. The code reported is listed as "No communication with ECU". Which would explain the no starting. Car towed to Firela Motors for the further hunt for a failed connection. No joy as of Thursday evening...
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage
It really does sound like the same old problem, the battery earth
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

Had the calipers and drums professionally painted in Silver, put on new wheel, boot and bonnet badges and chrome wheel nut covers, added two Bisconte decals and installed the bumper and side skirt lips.

Looking to get the alloys refurbed and a stainless steel exhaust pipe / tip installed next week.

Will definitely be looking into an Alfa tune exhaust kit / remap, depending on which one I can get away with easiest without having to notify the insurer :P

Although do need to plan in a bumper respray at some stage to deal with the stone chips and 'damage' incurred from a wall...
Bruce100 likes this.

2007 159 1.9 JTDM - Argento with Full Black Leather
Wheels: 18" Multi-spoke in Dark Anthracite
Engine Mods: DPF/EGR Delete/De-Swirled
Exhaust: Wizard Dual Backboxes Conversion
Lighting Mods: 6500K HID's & Fogs, Osram LED Conversion, Tri-Halo Conversion
Aesthetics: De-Chromed Grille, Brera Nose, EZ Lip, Biscione plate badge & Decals
Future Mods/ Fixes: Powerflex Bushes, Ti Skirts
AO Member

County: -norfolk
just washed the car and deep cleaned the wheels ( whilst at work ) following a 300 mile round trip to visit the inlaws .
car restored to its gleaming former glory .

fitted a new battery last week (Exide 067te 096 770 cca ) a very reasonable 65 worth , no slow cranking problems now , 1st prod and its spun into life !!!!

is this probably why the tailgate release from the roof switch is inoperable and needs re setting via the set up menu ?????????????

new ohlins steering damper fitted to the Tuono , cant wait for some decent biking weather that coincides with a day off , to try it out .

Last edited by hilift; 31-10-15 at 13:07. Reason: missed something off the post
AO Silver Member

Garage
Had a play round with the rear caliber that was a bit sticky. The top slider wasn't moving, but once taken out it had grease still on it, and seemed fine.
Will try and get some grease spray up the handbrake cable run, the rubber protector for it was in pieces

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
AO Member

Garage
Three weeks into very happy ownership, but mud all over the sides of the body have just made me fit front mudflaps!
AO Member

County: hampshire
Garage
Fitted 4 x new red Eibach pro springs today to 159 Lusso, weird as I was hoping for it to be lower than before but is sitting a lttle higher?
Also waxoyled and treated all suspension parts whilst wheels were off.
Hard wired in dash cam nextbase to rear view mirror wiring but stays on all the time even on motion sensor setting, odd?
I have set to disable screen after 30 seconds from switching on so hopefully new battery will be ok.
Wash and wax all sorted, happy days.
AlfaJoe92 likes this.
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage
Had the Ti up on the Nth Dutch island of Texel for the past few days. Now down in Nth Belgium psyching ourselves into the inevitable 'technical issues' delay with the Eurotunnel tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to driving on the correct side of the road for a change.
AO Member

Garage
I see your status is 'Rugby'. I trust you've been watching the TV this afternoon then?
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaoxon View Post
I see your status is 'Rugby'. I trust you've been watching the TV this afternoon then?
What a game! The best side won though....... And I reckon Nigel Owens deserves a prize all to himself!
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce100 View Post
Fitted 4 x new red Eibach pro springs today to 159 Lusso, weird as I was hoping for it to be lower than before but is sitting a lttle higher?
Also waxoyled and treated all suspension parts whilst wheels were off.

Give it a week to settle,

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!
AO Silver Member

Garage
What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today?

Another busy weekend after the rear brakes, visiting Telford with relatives, they had the 'modified car show' (we were shopping for boots) on so loads of pimped up Astras, golfs etc, in a public car park, butfirst time I've parked anywhere and been happy people would be careful opening their doors! Saw a few guys taking a closer look at the 159, despite being being dirty!

Then got home, updated the maps on the avic to the 2015 ones, the had a look at the side light. Figures it's not the bulb that's the problem (not fully), but the connection.
The bulb seems to have separate circuits for each side, one of which is not a great connections and keeps flickering, going off, then on etc (with the Constant canbus notifications!) on that side of the cob. Any ideas or suggestions, may try and solder the two sides of the cob together

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

159 1.9JTDM Ti and Giulietta 2.0 Veloce
ex: Punto 55s, Golf Mk5 1.4FSi, A3 (8P) Sportback 2.0TDi SE, A4 (B8) 2.0TDI S-Line, 306 HDI Meridian
AO Member

Garage
Decided to start to detail the bodywork on the 159, it looked nice and clean but on closer inspection there were swirls and I had gain a few long scratches down the side.

So I was on limited time now thanks to the crap weather this week and the nights drawing in, so yesterday afternoon I just had time to wash, then clay and re wash the car. Not surprisingly the lower front doors and boot lid were the worst parts, the rest of the car was pretty clean.

Today I started my machine polishing, I though the paint would be soft like my 156, however it seemed really hard and took a while to get the right combo of pad and polish. I decided to go with a yellow Chemical guy's Hexipad and Autobrite Enrich, I had to do a few passes on the passenger side due to said scratches.

I ran out of time really to follow up with a 2nd pass using Final Finish which I will do when I have a spare few hours, so to give it some protection I applied some AD Cherry Glaze, just before the fog came in and the car got too wet.

I didn't have time to take many pics, but here's a quick50/50 in progress showing scratch removal. (1 pass)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-11-01 12.36.00_sml.jpg (71.7 KB, 29 views)
giblets46 and AlfaJoe92 like this.
AO Member

Garage
Back into the Murk of English fog.......All up, the drive through France, Belgium & The Netherlands & rtn covered 943 miles (not including the tunnel). Saw Diesel for 1.03 E just outside Zeebrugge. Brilliantly fine weather the whole 8 days. English Reg 159 Ti sure gets a lot of attention. Car drove fantastically, no problems or niggles at all, mind you, the roads were all incredibly smooth and drivers courteous. Took in the Commonwealth War Graves at Ypres on the way back.
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

147 2.0TS

Had 40mins available yesterday, so decided to try to locate the exact position of the nearside squeaking! From getting my wife to rock the steering wheel it seems to be from lower part (a relief as upper wishbone was replaced only a few months back)
Car up - loads of creaking and groaning (mainly from the car), wheel off. Car then decided to give me the silent treatment. Not a peep from it, checked all joints and they seem good, injected a small amount of grease through the rubbers with a syringe just so that I had done something. Wheel on, back down and the test drive.. Still squeaking/creaking, possibly a little quieter.
Drive to work this morning wasn't a fair test as due to accident in the fog I had to take all manner of backroads with a skip lorry carving a way through the lanes for me.
Will see tonight if it is any better.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today