What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 158 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
didnt need to but i cleaned and polished the mm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa 4 ever View Post
didnt need to but i cleaned and polished the mm
Is the new paint looking flawless all polished up?
AO Silver Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
Is the new paint looking flawless all polished up?
yeah quite happy with it ,but you know what it is like once you know a panel has been painted you are always looking at it for imperfections but on the whole i am chuffed with the paint job
lussoman likes this.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Whole DriveShaft assembly off a car that had only done 50K much cheaper than the alternative!!! that should hopefully stop her "eating spiders" every 10K
Tell us more!

Are you getting the shimmy shakes back?
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenuta View Post
Tell us more!

Are you getting the shimmy shakes back?
No shakes this time but the tell tale noises that come just before them. I'm a dab hand at spotting a worn spider now given the rate I go through them. Checked the cup on the shaft and sure enough it was well worn so thats why it was chewing them up. Well that and the excess power
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

MiTo & Spider LE

I got my roof protection cover clip issue sorted, I feel rather daft and one dimensional as all that it needed was the stretchy material wrapped around one of the spokes and then clipped to the soft material itself!

The roof protector (being a roof cover/protector) may not look the prettiest, however now after having it on when not using the car it does do its job, no cat claws or large pigeon claws potentially damaging the roof and also no crap getting it either. No dirt or hair to worry about on the roof either, although when I get the chance I do need to get a larger more specialized brush to get what is still there off, my toothbrush solution right now doesn't exactly cover much area.

Also today I did a subtle interior mod, I got some chrome rings on eBay which fit around those 3 cool gauges facing at you. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome, to me it is a small change that makes a nice difference, almost as if it was made for it. Well worth it in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Protectiveness.jpg (193.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Rings.JPG (164.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Rings-Mod-(01).jpg (197.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Rings-Mod-(02).jpg (192.5 KB, 53 views)
SpiderSaint likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Luc Picard View Post
I got my roof protection cover clip issue sorted, I feel rather daft and one dimensional as all that it needed was the stretchy material wrapped around one of the spokes and then clipped to the soft material itself!

The roof protector (being a roof cover/protector) may not look the prettiest, however now after having it on when not using the car it does do its job, no cat claws or large pigeon claws potentially damaging the roof and also no crap getting it either. No dirt or hair to worry about on the roof either, although when I get the chance I do need to get a larger more specialized brush to get what is still there off, my toothbrush solution right now doesn't exactly cover much area.

Also today I did a subtle interior mod, I got some chrome rings on eBay which fit around those 3 cool gauges facing at you. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome, to me it is a small change that makes a nice difference, almost as if it was made for it. Well worth it in my opinion.
Looks like a good neat job. I had no idea that such things are available.
My cover's similar with the way it hooks around the wheels, just bigger, covering more of the bodywork. It's also a very light grey, almost white colour.
I have a smaller blue one that just does the windscreen for freezing nights when I can't be bothered with the big cover (which is all the time).
Lord_of_beard likes this.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

MiTo & Spider LE

Thanks, they slot in quite easily and can be removed without hassle, no having to use glue or anything which is a plus. I only found out about them a few weeks ago when I was just randomly browsing eBay. I only ordered them at the end of last week after some debating whether to get them or not, they are from a place called The-Tuning-Shop. Although other places sell them. Not only for the 159/Brera/Spider, they sell them to fit the GTV, 156 etc.

You can get them to put around the air vents as well, however I decided against that as I don't feel it needs them around there, although some people might feel differently.

Thing is I've now found out the place I got them from sold rings to go around the speedo and rev counter dials as well which I feel would be nice, however I found those on their actual website separate from eBay and it says they are no longer in stock, I'll probably ask anyway if they still do them but don't have much hope. There might be somewhere on eBay.it selling those but my Italian search terms are no good! I'll update with how it looks if I can get hold of a set.

EDIT: Just found an old eBay listing of them, doesn't look like they work with the instrument cluster on the LE model. Oh well it's no biggie anyway.

I wouldn't mind a cover that could also cover the bonnet and the rear boot as then it would be mucky cat paw proof as well! But the main bit for me is the roof and at least that is covered. I did consider a total cover which cost more, however as bad as it sounds I'd be afraid of some crook nicking it. Mind you I would probably get lazy after a while and probably wouldn't want to put it on most of the time!

I have also just now ordered an Alfa red leather key ring holder, my key is looking a bit bland right now.
lussoman likes this.

Last edited by Jean_Luc Picard; 14-10-15 at 00:25.
AO Member

County: Cornwall
Garage
Successfully managed to get called into a hearing at work - good old government cutbacks. Sadly this meant I missed my apt at Autolusso hmphhhhhh! No new suspension for me this week then :-(
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Curbed my alloys, very obvious with dark colours!

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage
Started to make my angel eye headlights...
Lord_of_beard likes this.
AO Member

County: Greater London
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltfromtheBlue View Post
My 2008 159 2.4 JTDm is on its 3rd battery since Jan 2014. That's a at least one too many for normal wear and tear. Lately I had all the power on self check report that all electronic tricks were not available at first and it would not start. 4th attempt at putting the key in and it worked. Phew! I checked this battery and it was down to 12.39 volts not 12.6 where it should be.
The school leaver at Halfords used his tester which reported "Good Battery". But the machine reported 500 HCA which is way down on the rated 660 CCA. So it is deteriorating and much earlier than it should.
I did check the parasitic switched off drain - only 80 milliamps on my meter which is not a lot. Idle speed charging was 14.14 volts.
I'm about to whip the battery out and charge it for 24 hours to see if that reverses the decline.
Any experiences and ideas welcome.
Battery taken out and put on charge for 24 hrs. Voltage at end of this 13.6v. Waited a couple of hours for it to settle, voltage down to 12.9v - still fine. Put it back in. Left it for a couple of days. Just checked now. It is back down to 12.37v, which is where it was before the 24 hrs on charge. Overall no recovery . On past form this one will die in the next 3-4 months leaving me unable to start the engine. Halford's 3 year warranty on the battery will be no comfort when I'm sitting somewhere with a dead car . I'm debating whether to get a new battery and keep it in the boot until that happens. Grrrr.

AO Silver Member

Garage
Not a good week! Have ca new wiper assembly, so went to replace... Sheared off the bolt on the drivers side
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Gave the Brera a good clean and polish this weekend, I thought it had a good shine before the Maguires! Two cars in the photo for the price of one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSF2668crop.jpg (243.1 KB, 38 views)
alfa 4 ever likes this.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Having given it a proper wash yesterday, today I broke out the Chipex kit to deal with the 20 or so chips showing whitely on the bumper and bonnet. Now all red and looking fine, but honestly it's only 3 months and 4000 miles since the last session. Yes, that Alfa Red is fragile.

P.S. Also the saga of replacing main beam bulbs is finally closed, after a few more sessions to re-seat the bulbs and tweak the alignment. Now happy: with fresh Bosch Pure Light bulbs on dip and main the lighting is entirely adequate, rather the seriously dodgy with 4-year-old originals.

Last edited by ChrisH77; 18-10-15 at 20:10.
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
Chris, Are they new stone chips or the old ones that the Chipex has come off? I'm toying with the idea of a kit but have read a few instances where the paint comes off and then needs refilling.
Miles G likes this.
AO Member

All the stone chips were new ones. It helps to clean each spot with white spirit and dry it, to be sure there is no grease or wax. However, there are a few chips where the blending stage tends to lift the paint out of the chip: maybe when it's a very shallow chip, or maybe there's some contamination.

Overall I'm very pleased with the Chipex: repairs pretty much invisible, unless you look closely (get within 50cm or so).
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Done nothing to the brera today but bought plenty of goodies. Wheel centre caps, door mirror glasses, LED sidelights, HIDs, indicators and a few replacement badges. Will be perfect when all the little details are sorted
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaRed Brera View Post
Gave the Brera a good clean and polish this weekend, I thought it had a good shine before the Maguires! Two cars in the photo for the price of one.
Get the sponge over that front tyre

County: -West Midlands
Garage
Had a front end head on smash with a stupid astra driver who thought he could overtake 4 cars on a blind bend.

Will upload pics to my garage. Really don't know how I walked away from this. Thanks to my lovely 159 I am still here.
NicQ likes this.

County: -West Midlands
Garage
This is whats left of my 159, thanks you F~@*ing idiot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car Crash 2 151015.jpg (165.2 KB, 48 views)
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
Get the sponge over that front tyre
Theres always one! It'll have to be a photoshop job now.
lussoman likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwill View Post
WTF! I take it you are OK? Got any side views? That looks a heavy shunt, how has the passanger area stood up?
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:

Like and not like at the same time, so glad you walked away! Testament to the '6*' crash safety. Although the idiot, hope the other driver was ok too.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Nasty one, glad you are OK, as much as you love it, the car can be replaced, you cant and thats the important bit.
lussoman likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today