What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 146 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

AO Member

County: Vila Real
Garage
Just had the clear feeling that i'm up for a world of pain in the next days as I noticed a rattle when turning right in 3rd or 4th gear. The car is reaching it's 180k kms, so big service is coming my way too. Gearbox is near death, and i have the new reinforced clutch system plus the dual mass flyweel pack waiting for the chance go go in. Just have to find myself a decent timing belt/water pump replacement kit. Garret is on the need for a service to, as well as all of the intake circuit.
And to top the cake whit the pretiest cherry, the exhaust manifold has shown signs of the famously dreaded bolt assembly leak.
I'm dreaming about getting back to an Audi, maybe a b7 a4, full S-line thing. I know, they break down too, but are still downright easy enough to operate, simple, no show off, machines.
I'm a bit sad whit the car all in all, that's just it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Greater London
(Not today, but on the 1st) I made my first monthly road tax payment. 5% for the privilege of paying monthly instead of annually is not too hard a hit. A no-brainer, actually.
LukeyC

Submitted a "Carpool" report for Pistonheads - should be published this Monday or next :-) :-)

Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Another day at Autolusso. This time sorting the wheel bearing and, more importantly, working on another development in the powerflex of upper wishbones......

Watch this space..
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1398
Finally got round to swapping the indicator stalk's after lights started playing up. All back to normal now and working
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1398
Quote:
Originally Posted by 159_kid View Post
Finally got round to swapping the indicator stalk's after lights started playing up. All back to normal now and working
Well it didnt go as smoothly as i thought! A word of warning to anyone who swaps indicator stalks... Make sure the cable connector which sits underneath the steering wheel is centred and has equal turns to max in either direction. I unfortunately did not and at the first full lock to the left felt some resistance on the wheel and then a crunching noise. Not long after followed by an airbag warning and loss of steering wheel buttons I spent this evening taking the wheel back off and reusing the cable connector from my original stalk. Cleared airbag warning and recalibrated the steering sensor with mes and all is well again
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Changed my front disks and pads only to find one of my pistons in the O/S/F calliper is seized solid

That explains the pull to the left on heavy braking then.....

Managed to get the N/S/F all sorted and just change the disk & 1 half of the pads in the O/S/F so I could get back on the road. Back to Autolusso this week then for a new calliper, grrr.

Very expensive month.
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Replaced the rear ashtray with one won on eBay for 99p! This one won't fall off all the time. Also did the pollen filter, easy enough and took the Stratos replica out for a meet up with other Alfa owners in Liverpool. Sat on the couch now waiting for the Canadian GP to start!

Guy
AO Member

County: Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeyC View Post
Submitted a "Carpool" report for Pistonheads - should be published this Monday or next :-) :-)
Let's hope they don't post it under SOTW
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Ordered 2 x brand new Brembo Callipers. Will get them fitted next week subject to shipping.
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Ordered 2 x brand new Brembo Callipers. Will get them fitted next week subject to shipping.
Are you getting GTA calipers so you can use your PF pads or sticking with Yellowstuff? Decent pads are my next purchase.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
GTA option was far too pricey unless I wait around for a set on ebay and then refurb. Went with stock, brand new 159 Brembo's. I have to wait for them to come back into stock but the price was good so not too worried. This piston has been seized since xmas for sure as I remember it looked rough as old boots when I did the paint refurb in October. Given I got new pads in then, and its stuck about half way in / out it lasted till the weather got bad in Dec/Jan/Feb.

Figured it was best to do both rather than just one as the car is at 127K now and still pulling like a train so stopping effectively is not something to scrimp on

Once I get the new ones on, I will either strip and refurb the old set or leave as they are and then put them on ebay to recover some costs.

In terms of pads Ned has a deal on PF's that is worth looking at. They only clang when they are down to about 5mm so you could just argue that it is an "advanced pad wear warning system"

I went with EBC Yellow's again for now. They brake well but wear fast. I only got 6 months out of the last set and used to get double that out of the PF's.

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today?

Got in, pressed start, it was like that scene in Star Wars when the hyperdrive failed to work...new battery now on order. It had been starting to struggle for a whole and been in the car for some time (certainly since I owned it)

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!
AO Member

County: Bergamo
Garage
Finally got round to Oil Change after last month's trip to UK and back. 16 hours each way so now more long trips for a while.

Did the oil burner also today (Kuga). Much easier, no hassle getting the undertray off and no need to get it up in the air.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Service 15.jpg (38.6 KB, 16 views)
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Oil change for me as well today.

Longest I have ever left that Millers CFS NanoTech in.... Was a good 9K miles by the looks of it, but its only been about 4 months since I changed it last.... need to keep an eye on that!!

Had a bit of a mare with the sump bolt and managed to round off the torx so abandoned it coming out the bottom and just top sided it for ease. Job for another day to sort the bolt. Still managed to pull about 5.5L out the top which is roughly what I get out the bottom and I am not concerned about sludge or debris as it gets changed so frequently.

Forgot how easy top siding was

IMG_0386.jpg
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage
Unhappy Prang......

Not today, but last Thursday at the Caversham Bridge roundabout in Reading. I managed to be the 3rd vehicle in a 3 car 'nose to tail'. 159 v VW Touran v Honda Civic. Touran, some minor bumper scratches and a small golf ball sized dent. Civic ?, well who cares anyway. 159 ?, well, bonnet bent right up into a 'V' shape, left side headlight cluster angled inwards, front bumper, Alfa Grille (including badge), obliterated. But.............it sill drives ! Not allowed to of course, as any wind flow under the bent up bonnet would cause it to fling right back onto the windscreen. Now waiting for the verdict from the Crash Repair Co on its fate. Gutted.
AO Member

County: Essex
Fitted a removable towbar over the weekend, which was more hassle than I expected - managed to chew up three drill bits and as many knuckles in the process.

I've still got to wire up the lighting socket, and refit the boot lining - but that's for another weekend.

Besides, the boot lining won't go back in until I've finished trialling the recent water/meth injection.
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Replaced the battery, but made a relatively simple job more complicated by dropping the extender and 13mm bit in the under tray, who knows where it is but the was a bit of a clunk 30secs after I drove off,
AO Member

County: Devon
Also got a new battery, starts like a dream now and no more "ABS not available" etc etc etc lights. Battery was a Yuasa Calcium, came highly recommended on here.
Also got an oil, fuel filter and air filter change. Runs really quietly now, for a diesel.
Next thing on the to do is the remap and DPF drill...
AO Member

County: -
Following a very recent service, the road test report said there was a slight vibration from the steering wheel.

Took it to my local ATS Euromaster garage this morning and got all the wheels rebalanced, re-torqued and filled with Nitrogen - all for 36.

Judging by the number of new weights in new places on every wheel, the balance must have been a long way out! On the short drive home the car did feel much better to drive - a lot more planted on the road and a bit smoother. An improved drive for 36 - not bad!
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

159 2.4JTDm

Cleaned the engine bay, the fuel filling cap 'area' and polish the hell
Out of the head lights.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Spent a couple of hours over at Autolusso having my new Brembo Callipers fitted. Excellent service as always!

While I was there Ned convinced me to swap back to Performance Friction Pads as he has been working with them to solve the knock issue and get a stonking price for us!!

I must say, I had forgotten how good they are I thought EBC Yellow's bit well but the PF's are in a different league! I now have experience of going from PF's to EBC and from EBC to PF's and its night and day. After a good 10K on EBC's switching back to PF's is a game changer. I like EBC Yellow's but they wear VERY FAST and don't stop half as well so I'm sold.

Speak to Autolusso about a price if you're in need. Ned was throwing some numbers around that make it a no brainer.

Meanwhile, I'm going to refurb these callipers and see if I can recoup some of the money I forked out this month!
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage
Thumbs Up Looking for a 159 Sportwagon......

Just found out from the insurance Co that my 159 Sportwagon has been declared 'uneconomical to Repair'. So, looking for a replacement. Quite picky, but here's my list. 1.9 JTDm, 09 plate or later, roof rails (a must), black leather upholstery, 80,000 miles max, and it has to be in good condition. 7500 CASH. Any thoughts ?
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Spent a couple of hours over at Autolusso having my new Brembo Callipers fitted. Excellent service as always!

While I was there Ned convinced me to swap back to Performance Friction Pads as he has been working with them to solve the knock issue and get a stonking price for us!!

I must say, I had forgotten how good they are I thought EBC Yellow's bit well but the PF's are in a different league! I now have experience of going from PF's to EBC and from EBC to PF's and its night and day. After a good 10K on EBC's switching back to PF's is a game changer. I like EBC Yellow's but they wear VERY FAST and don't stop half as well so I'm sold.

Speak to Autolusso about a price if you're in need. Ned was throwing some numbers around that make it a no brainer.

Meanwhile, I'm going to refurb these callipers and see if I can recoup some of the money I forked out this month!
Here we go, hows this for a deal

330 Performance Friction brake pads supplied and fitted for 100 inc VAT

Ned
AO Member

County: Rutland

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4

Had the MOT done just advisory for front pad wear, looking at the post above hmmmmm......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today