What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 143 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
I did do my discs last year, so this is not a permanent solution, but- Used a rust removal brush on my drill, get down to the bare iron and do the vented bit around the circumference. I used some Hammerite rust converter on the vented bit as it gets pretty pitted with rust there. I mask most of the disc surface off, but let the pad cut a nice neat line when driving. Then just some high temp silver paint from autopaint in St helens, website jobby.
My GT's discs have lasted a lot longer, but that does a 20th of the miles the 159 does, so obviously doesn't get the salt, pad material etc sitting on the paint.

Doesn't take long, just a day inc rust converter and paint drying and it looks so much cleaner. Other option is to get some Mtec discs that are pre coated, but I'll wait til I need new discs.

GT 3.2 V6 - Q2, KONI FSD & EIBACH PROKIT, GTA REMAP, MICHELLIN PS3's, BMC CDA
159 SW 2.4JTDM TI - ALFATUNED, WIZARD BACK BOXES, KW V3 COILOVERS, NOKIAN WR A3/MICHELLIN PS3, PCA DYNAMICS ALIGNMENT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Western Australia
Nice job, will have to do that to mine, only in black.

County: -
Garage
disassembled the rear wiper motor, and cleaned some excess grease off the circuit board to stop it from running constantly. works like new now, and saved me 100 euros easy on a new motor.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage

Member car:

Spider 2.4 jtdm

Fitted a new brake switch and now have cruise control again

Fitted a new headlight bulb - took all of 2 mins.

Stripped the front fog lights and gave the lenses a spray with some chrome effect paint I found in the garage - surprisingly good result for free

A good result for an hours work all things considered.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by no grip View Post
Fitted a new brake switch and now have cruise control again

Fitted a new headlight bulb - took all of 2 mins.

Stripped the front fog lights and gave the lenses a spray with some chrome effect paint I found in the garage - surprisingly good result for free

A good result for an hours work all things considered.
How did you strip the fog lights? Did you remove the glass?
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Spider 2.4 jtdm

Quote:
How did you strip the fog lights? Did you remove the glass
Yes - took fogs out from front of bumper and prised glass out gently. I used a heat gun to try to soften the plastic casing around the glass. It's held in with a semi-hard type sealant which I left on the glass and just added a bead of silicone when reasembling. It's a bit nerve racking prising the glass out but I didn't break anything
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

159 2.4JTDm

Replaced all the rear chrome (plastic) badges - 159, 2.4 and the JTDM badges as they were chipped and going green ish. Looks loads better!
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Spider 2.4 jtdm

Today I mostly managed to average 31.8mpg out of the 3.2 on an 80 mile round trip - drove like a real saint all the way (the average 50mph speed cameras all over the M6 helped as well)
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Today I had a big car cleaning session. First chance to use all the new products I bought in penance for using my 30 year-old car brush on the Alfa and swirling all the paint.

Practiced on the Rover to be sure about the 2 bucket technique, and how AG Aqua Wax works. Then did it all again on the 159, except for finishing with AG Super Resin Polish to fill in the swirls. Looks much better: not quite perfect, but 90% of the way to how it should be.

Found a load more stone chips that I hadn't noticed before. So that'll be next on the list. Chipex or something else?
Miles G likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Berkshire
Garage
Today, I got round to (eventually) checking the fuse of the cigarette lighter, only for charging purposes you understand.
Having checked out the handbook and making sure I had replacements available, found the correct fusebox and correct fuse to find the fuse I needed was TINY!
The good news was there was a full complement of spare fuses in the fuse box and the fuse tweezers were still there! Result!
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Cleaned her and then spent 20 minutes remaking all the connections to / from the PSU and Relays for the Halo's. They were looking a bit tired so I neatened it all up with plenty of heat shrink. Also took the opportunity to add a permanent live I can switch between for shows so I can leave them on when the car is locked up

I did that as a bit of a bodge at Spring Alfa Day and loads of people were taking pictures of them and asking how to get them.
AO Member

Given it a tart up. After getting it all muddy in the car park of good wood breakfast club on Sunday!
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

alfa 159 ti 2.4

Changed bulbs , shut bonnet a bit to hard and snapped the flappy handle to unlock bonnet . Great !!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo1 View Post
Changed bulbs , shut bonnet a bit to hard and snapped the flappy handle to unlock bonnet . Great !!
I've done that. Still can't work out why shutting the bonnet can hit the release handle. Mine now has the earlier version which pushes out a tongue to open. Much cleaner.
AO Member

County: Kent
Spent Saturday afternoon cleaning and polishing ready for a local car show on Sunday. Looked great. Show went well. Came home parked outside my house and some silly woman reversed her BMW into the rear of mine. Scraped the bumper and knocked out a parking sensor. Why can't BMW owners drive? Last year one wrote off my wifes car by trying to park in her boot.
AO Member

County: Bergamo
Garage
Yearly trip Italy, UK and back. 16 hours, 1500 km each way. Again didn't miss a beat, what it was made for
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Brera 3.2 OEM+

MOT, clean, no advisories, YES!
silvagem likes this.
AO Member

County: Tyne & Wear
Garage
get my damaged mudflap on my 159 TI replaced at local garage and replace the "Spider" logo on my other car as the bottom part of the "S" was broken off!

Last edited by TheToon; 11-05-15 at 15:24.
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Four new tyres now skint, then polished to make me feel better
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean lochlin View Post
Four new tyres now skint, then polished to make me feel better
I know the feeling mate! having forked out 190.00 for a Bridgestone tyre for my Spider as well today!!
AO Member

Garage
Have my 159 booked in on Monday to get 4 alloy wheels refurbished.

Today taking Spider to garage to hopefully fix the Sunroof issue that is catching on the rollbar of the car and chipping the paintwork!
AO Member

County: Western Australia
Heading home today, connect up the battery and remove the cover, after 4 week away.
Then a oil and filter change.
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Managed to pop the vertical movement adjusting lug off my centre air vent with the gubbins that slots on it for the Mobile for satnav duties.
Quick look in the search facility suggests screwdrivers down the sides of the vents or a hook inside it and pull. Could not find anything long enough and curved to do this so and did not fancy damaging the chocolate metal trim with screwdrivers down the sides so settled on used Credit Cards down the sides and eventually it eased out.
FIO the clips are actually situated one on top and two below for release purposes.

Once I got the vent out I had to remove the cowl and rebuild the slot linkage mechanism which had come detached, just a press fit. Cowl back on and push fit whole assembly into place.

Just need to take more care when pushing on the Phone Holder but don't like to leave it attached when not in use...
AO Member

County: -
Garage

Member car:

Brera 3.2 JTS Q4

I bought my 2.2 used with about 80.000 Km, looking very perfect at the Garage. Nevertheless it's clear the previous owner didn't care too much about maintenance and here is the list of changed parts:

- flywheel
- radiator
- a couple of sleeves
- timing chain
- services chains
- cooling water pump
- revs sensors
- brake pedal sensor
- power window engine

All under warranty luckily. Now it has 130.000 km on the clock, the last 10k without any issues. No oil consumption, perfect on hi-speed rides.
AO Member

Garage
washed both beauties for the weekend!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today