After getting my 159 3 weeks ago, I had arranged to take it back to where I got it (Veloces, Barnet) on Friday, mainly to:
1. get a small dent fixed that I found the minute I got it home, 3 weeks ago. It may have happened in their car park before I collected it, but they were cool about it and accepted that I hadn't done it!
The idea was that their 'dent man' - who's there most Fridays - would have a go at fixing it. It is/was on the driver-side rear wheel arch, between the wheel arch and the rear edge if the door. Bit of an awkward place but thankfully the paint hadn't been damaged.
2. check whether the cam belt & water pump had been replaced, as planned, before I collected the car 3 weeks ago
3. something that had developed and got worse since I first got the car, was a squeak coming from the N/S/R wheel, most likely brake-related. I asked them to look at this also.
4. oh and I also mentioned that I wasn't convinced they'd done the 'Lifeshine' treatment that i'd paid for, so they agreed to redo it. More details here... http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-d...-question.html (AutoGlym Lifeshine question)
5. oh and another thing (this is how my 'to do' list evolved - it started with a couple of things then grew to 5 or 6 by the time i'd finished!).... I bought front & rear mud flaps last week so asked if they could fit them.
So this morning I went back to collect the car and see how much they'd managed to do from my list...
1. dent man had worked his magic and managed to de-dent the dent, He had to remove the wheel and wheel arch liner, drill a small hole on the inner skin to access the rear of the dent. Once fixed he fitted a grommet in the hole and refitted the liner, And the wheel of course
The repaired area looks ok on first inspection - i'll have a closer look next time i'm washing that area.
2. they had managed to miss replacing the cam belt & water pump first time round so they changed that yesterday. Mileage has just turned 40k so it's still well before the recommended 60k (I believe) for the TBi.
3. in the heat of the moment of collecting the car I forgot to ask whether the rear brake squeal/squeak had been fixed but I did notice a bit of the same noise on the drive home, but not as bad as it was. I'll ask them Monday whet they did/didn't do.
4. see this thread about the Lifeshine
Only time will tell whether it's a worthwhile addition
5. Mudflaps went on ok, tho they said it was a bit of a fiddle as they aren't made to fit with the Ti side-skirt-things. Looks like they've done a good job tho. Hopefully they'll stop some, or all of the stone chips down the sides and stop the rear bumper from getting too scabby behind the wheels.
So overall, happy to have the car back and relieved to have the cam belt etc done. Looking forward to seeing whether the Lifeshine and the mudflaps manage to keep the car looking nice for longer. But i'll still feel like washing it every week