What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 138 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagyve View Post
I've sworn at my Spider - nothing unusual there.
Changed the battery a few days ago; left it for an hour to reset itself; now have 'power window safety not available' warnings for both windows, which now don't raise fully when the doors shut or are locked. The windows do raise using the raise/lower switch, but I'm still trying to work out how to use those to raise the window when the doors are closed and I'm outside, unless the roof is down.
Any thoughts are welcome.
This should be in the owners manual

You need to hold the window down button for 10 seconds, then the window up for another 10 seconds. It's normal when you have had the battery off, because the door control unit needs to relearn the open and closed window positions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Not technically the car, but getting a new amp for it, and checked the box for my aftermarket stereo for the RCA cables, the OEM now lives in the box, the bottom of the box fell out along with the original stereo, the faceplate broke off (from less than 1ft!), so that's not going back in the car!
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage
Just fitted a new pair of Bosch aero twin blades, no more squeaky wipers
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa 159 Ti SW

Passed MOT with no advisories
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage
Took my 159 SW down the M40 to Heathrow, got plenty of stares and cars in front getting out of the lane so I'd pass and they could get a real good look at a quality vehicle.

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Brera Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcot View Post
This should be in the owners manual

You need to hold the window down button for 10 seconds, then the window up for another 10 seconds. It's normal when you have had the battery off, because the door control unit needs to relearn the open and closed window positions.
Thanks, Adamcot. I simply followed the 'replacing the battery' section on p.216 of my manual. Hadn't seen a note there on resetting the windows (it's on p.91 but doesn't say hold it down for 10 secs) - and your suggestion worked fine.
Now, if the bloody top would shut without faltering, I'd be happier - the dealer has failed to sort it after several attempts. I think it's an overheating problem, because if I leave it a few minutes, it then closes down. I'm going to try fitting a small fan or two, I think. Not yet sure where, but ...
Again, thanks.
Michael
AO Member

County: Essex
Sometimes I really hate Alfas ! Went to check on a coolant leak only to have the bonnet release handle bracket break off. Another quality part designed by Alfa!
AO Member

County: Rutland

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4

Put the summer wheels and tyres on. Looks like I'll get another season out of them. But found Rear N/S spring broken.

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.... Operation Eibach it is then
AO Member

County: Surrey
Lick A busy 2 weeks for the Brera S

Its been a busy week for my stunning black Brera S 2.2. I have had an MOT (with no advisories, WOOP!) new front brake pads, had some annoying car park dents removed by fixadent.co.uk (Ryan is a true master of his trade and a really nice chap, unfortunately one of the dents along the swage lines was a bit too stubborn for him to get out and as a result he did not charge me despite the fact he greatly improved it, as it was not to the standard he would have liked!) I am without it for a couple of days, and feel like my legs have been chopped off, it is currently having the rather sexy 19" prodrive alloys refurbed at Alloy care centre in liphook (the previous owner must have liked hugging curbs!)

'58 Brera S 2.2 JTS in Black
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

948 Spider 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1993 View Post
had some annoying car park dents removed by fixadent.co.uk
Not to be confused with fixodent.co.uk!
Kryton57

Just had all the (Stromboli grey) 159 rears tinted, looks awesome.

AO Silver Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Garage
It failed to start for second time in a fortnight.
My voltmeter said ok, so charged it for one hour and away we go.
- only when Halfords tested the Bosch Silverliine (780CCA) did the CCA rating show it had dropped remarkably.
Part Exchange due to Bosch five year warranty on 30month old battery
- half the life-span of the original AR battery.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swq4 View Post
It failed to start for second time in a fortnight.
My voltmeter said ok, so charged it for one hour and away we go.
- only when Halfords tested the Bosch Silverliine (780CCA) did the CCA rating show it had dropped remarkably.
Part Exchange due to Bosch five year warranty on 30month old battery
- half the life-span of the original AR battery.

So it's only a limited warranty on the battery?! Did you get much off (another Bosch I take it)

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!
AO Member

New bonnet & trunk badge
New Side badges
Side respray
New stone guards (Improved unique design)
Roof treated with Renovo
Cleaned the inside of the car
B6 shocks fitted with suplex springs (seeling my EIbach;s if anyone is interested)
AO Member

County: Budapest
Replaced a badly worn inner tie-rod...

... and on the way home, crashed the car
It was my fault. I've never crashed a car before, and it feels really bad to start with this one. Needs a new bonnet and a bumper. Luckily, nothing else because it was a slow speed impact, I literally went under a peugeot 206...

County: -
James, let me know how you get on with the refurbishment (cost and results) as my 19' wheels now need work after idiot car wash attendant sprayed acid wheel cleaner on them! Cheers
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post
So it's only a limited warranty on the battery?! Did you get much off (another Bosch I take it)
They charged me for the 30 months use, remainder as deposit against another long-life
As Halfords stopped using Bosch its a Yuasa.
With my trade card came out as less than 40 so not bad.
AO Member

County: Greater London
Garage
In for bumber repair

The 159 SW is at Grover Accident Repair to have the dink/tear in the rear bumper caused by a distracted BMW X5 driver repaired. It's an insurance job with no excess to pay. Finger's cross I can have it back for the weekend.
AO Member

County: Surrey
Finally got round to taking some photos after the alloys were refurbed, they look great!! Unfortunately haven't got any before photos but they were pretty mashed up. They have done an excellent job of colour matching. All in came to 370 including a courtesy car for 2 days. Couldn't be happier, it has completely changed the look of the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1427588453308.jpg (68.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg image_1427588486276.jpg (80.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg image_1427588503395.jpg (89.6 KB, 37 views)
Bruce100 likes this.

Last edited by james1993; 29-03-15 at 10:36.
AO Member

Drunk Fitted a new battery - and boot and fuel locked

Popped into Swindon on my way through on Friday and got one of these...

Yuasa 12v 85Ah 800A Silver Car Battery YBX5110 HSB110

Helpful guys, I borrowed a screwdriver to remove the plastic bits on the base plate to get it to fit properly and they even gave me some foam packing cut to size to fit the lower profile of the battery. Car now starts immediately with no flickering dash electronics.

Once fitted, the boot refused to open, so after following the reset procedure in the manual, got that working again. Then drove down m4 m5 to Exeter, put stuff in the boot. Boot then locked itself. And refused to open. Headed back via Dorchester, in the hope of popping into Olds, as couldn't find the emergency boot release under the passenger seat. Olds is now long gone so that wasn't too successful....

Drove back up to Berkshire, fortunately with no problems. Almost out of fuel when I got home... and discovered that fuel filler cap was also locked. Fortunately the 57mpg motorway capability of this car @ max speed saved my bacon on this occasion.. thanks to Gus for his efforts!

Next day, collected some advice and a couple of seat fasteners (which you need to replace when you pull the rear seat up) from Alfa Aid... and finally located the emergency boot release and got the boot open. I also followed their full reset procedure (short out the car circuits), tested the fuses etc but no joy. The emergency fuel filler release doesn't seem to work either. So I guess the car will be going in next week unless I can get it working today somehow.

Next steps I guess are to check for error codes and reset those if there are any... maybe fight with the trim a bit in the boot to try and get to the various components and check out if anything is broken there although I suspect not. This is just from removing the battery from the car... wouldn't be surprised if I need a new body computer

'Keeps you busy dear' says my better half and I have to say that after a few years away from Alfas I am reminded just how true that is
AO Silver Member

Garage
If the Independent Boot unlocking option does not work from the dash menu, maybe you need a Canbus alignment as it seems the car has lost track of some circuits?
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
#carday
  • Oil Change (Millers CFS NanoDrive + ZX1)
  • DAB / FM/AM Splitter Install
  • 3.5Bar TMAP Fitted
  • Fix Rear light clusters on a mates 996 Turbo.
AO Silver Member

Garage
In poundworld ( dark blue sign) today ( I have a weakness for it!), they had chrome air valve caps in there, I've bought expensive ones in the past, but they've 'gone missing' after a few months, so not worth spending the money, think they look good.

Remembered after buying that my alloys are now anthracite, d'oh! Still they can go on the giulietta.

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 LE

Spent the morning at Autolusso in Penrith on Saturday getting the front lower arms replaced and powerflexed.

Drive home was totally different! Cheers Dan and Joe
AO Member

County: Kent
Has anyone here fitted a vortex exhaust system to a 3.2 Brera. If so do they work and are they worth the money.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today