What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 118 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Status: -
AO Member
 
ALFA A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 274
Images: 2

Member car:

159 2.4

Just went into the back of a car in slow moving traffic :-( small dent and scratches on the bonnet as i slammed on the breaks. damn! might have to get it repaired but not sure I can afford it right now
ALFA A is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Smitten with the Busso
AO Silver Member
 
Alfadisiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Wrexham
Posts: 1,282
Garage
Well Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfadisiac View Post
Just about to leave North Wales to go to Houghton Regis to see Bed at autolusso and have the dreaded swirl flaps taken out... They are leaking and sticking.

What differences will I notice afterwards???
So, I'm back in sunny North Wales.
What's my verdict???

Don't hesitate people, get them swirl flaps removed!
She is so much smoother, and no smoke or misfire on cold start up...

Spent the morning with their Remapper and have had a custom map put on to the car...
Bottom end is much more responsive, only have to touch the pedal and she surges like a dog on a lead.
Midrange is about the same as what I had with the old map, but could do with fine tuning to iron out small hesitencies I only noticed once I got into the motorway and settled down in a cruise. Still had buckets of overtaking potential but it could be improved ( I'll be back for the polybush upgrade soon anyway )
Top end, wow! Buckets more power! And one hell of a growl from the exhaust to suit!
On full chat it sounds as though it has a screamer pipe fitted, but that's just because I have no back boxs


Also found a few little problems which I've either not noticed or just overlooked completely and sorted them out there and then...


All in all, one happy alfa owner here thanks to Ned and his guys. Thanks...

Alfas don't break down..... They stop to be admired

Alfas don't leak oil.... They are marking their territory
Alfadisiac is offline  
Status: Always working
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader
 
Autolusso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bedfordshire
Posts: 6,303
Images: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfadisiac View Post
So, I'm back in sunny North Wales.
What's my verdict???

Don't hesitate people, get them swirl flaps removed!
She is so much smoother, and no smoke or misfire on cold start up...

Spent the morning with their Remapper and have had a custom map put on to the car...
Bottom end is much more responsive, only have to touch the pedal and she surges like a dog on a lead.
Midrange is about the same as what I had with the old map, but could do with fine tuning to iron out small hesitencies I only noticed once I got into the motorway and settled down in a cruise. Still had buckets of overtaking potential but it could be improved ( I'll be back for the polybush upgrade soon anyway )
Top end, wow! Buckets more power! And one hell of a growl from the exhaust to suit!
On full chat it sounds as though it has a screamer pipe fitted, but that's just because I have no back boxs


Also found a few little problems which I've either not noticed or just overlooked completely and sorted them out there and then...


All in all, one happy alfa owner here thanks to Ned and his guys. Thanks...
Pleased you are happy with it

Ned
Autolusso is offline  
Status: Powerflex Mk4 - Non Squeak Edition
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
JabawokJayUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 3,381
Images: 31
Garage
In the process of striping and refurbishing all four callipers... Rears done. Waiting for paint to dry on the fronts now so I can fix some runs hand painted the rears for ease. Spraying the fronts so more difficult but better finish hopefully!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1416081487602.jpg (40.8 KB, 23 views)
JabawokJayUK is offline  
Status: -
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
159_kid's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 1398
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
In the process of striping and refurbishing all four callipers... Rears done. Waiting for paint to dry on the fronts now so I can fix some runs hand painted the rears for ease. Spraying the fronts so more difficult but better finish hopefully!!
is it a job you'd recommend doing yourself jay? My calipers are in desperate need of a fresh lick of paint but I keep putting it off as its something i've never done before and worried i'd ****** it up
159_kid is offline  
Status: Smitten with the Busso
AO Silver Member
 
Alfadisiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Wrexham
Posts: 1,282
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso View Post
Pleased you are happy with it

Ned
just driven to Manchester and back, nothing wrong with the midrange on the open road. must have just been when it was in traffic which i had most of the way up the M1 and M6...

also, my Avg Consumption seems a little generous... says i averaged 70mpg...
whats with that????
Alfadisiac is offline  
Status: Powerflex Mk4 - Non Squeak Edition
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
JabawokJayUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 3,381
Images: 31
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 159_kid View Post
is it a job you'd recommend doing yourself jay? My calipers are in desperate need of a fresh lick of paint but I keep putting it off as its something i've never done before and worried i'd ****** it up
Its doable for sure. Hardest job I had was changing the brake pads in the rear! They were so thick I had to adjust the handbrake cable to allow me to wind back the callipers!

For me, spraying paint is kryptonite. I hate it and it hates me. So far one side looks ok, the other has a run on the side you see so have to wait for it to dry off before I can fix it and apply the second coat. I'll do a more detailed write up in a proper thread when I get it all sorted.

--- update ---

Managed to fix the run and get a second coat on (lighter this time). going to give it another hour and then do a third and final coat for good measure.


2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK

Last edited by JabawokJayUK; 15-11-14 at 21:09.
JabawokJayUK is offline  
Status: Powerflex Mk4 - Non Squeak Edition
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
JabawokJayUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 3,381
Images: 31
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Spent a couple of hours with the team at Autolusso trying out their new custom mapping service. After we piggybacked the ECU to get the existing map data so we could tweak it for the new turbo, we made some small adjustments to the map to give about 20% more power and sort the overboost values for the new larger turbo.

Instant results much more power and drivability even though it was already mapped.

This is just stage 1 of the process with Autolusso and new their new service offering. Stage 2 involves some more hardware changes to the car followed by a hub dyno session

Great service always.
So the map is working well 700 mile round trip and the car is so much easier to drive better / smoother power delivery and so much torque! Successfully fended off one of the new Audi S3's who wanted to have a pop. He could not pass and I left him when the numbers got high

It pulls like a train....
JabawokJayUK is offline  
Status: Smitten with the Busso
AO Silver Member
 
Alfadisiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Wrexham
Posts: 1,282
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
So the map is working well 700 mile round trip and the car is so much easier to drive better / smoother power delivery and so much torque! Successfully fended off one of the new Audi S3's who wanted to have a pop. He could not pass and I left him when the numbers got high

It pulls like a train....
Great stuff.
Mines a lot better overall now with their map on. With the old map, the fuel pressure was raised 6% and only one of the turbo maps were tuned.
Dropped fuel pressure down closer to standard and tweaked both turbo maps, torque limiter and throttle sensitivity.
Well pleased, buckets more power and quicker spool up time. Just doesn't really like motorway traffic (40-50mph slow moving) but who does...
No smoke either until I hit it hard at high revs...
Alfadisiac is offline  
Status: everyone else givehugs ,the welsh givecwtches
AO Silver Member
 
alfa 4 ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Neath Port Talbot
Posts: 5,688
Images: 2
done a little check on my mm today ,mot and service tomorrow
alfa 4 ever is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
chrismkiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: -
Posts: 127

Member car:

Alfa 159 Ti SW

Given a good thorough wash and a couple coats of wax ready for this winter weather that is meant to be just around the corner
chrismkiv is offline  
Status: Powerflex Mk4 - Non Squeak Edition
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
JabawokJayUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 3,381
Images: 31
Garage
JabawokJayUK is offline  
Status: Give me an Alfa everyday!
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portugal
County: Vila Real
Posts: 257
Images: 4
Garage
Bought and isntalled a 74ah battery. Was starting to get a series of random warnings on each morning start up until today! Received the "pre-heating unavailable" one and there was not enough juice to make the engine go!!! New battery and 20 mins after starts fine again and works like a charm.
Ruby159Beast is offline  
Status: Powerflex Mk4 - Non Squeak Edition
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
JabawokJayUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 3,381
Images: 31
Garage
Jury is out for now. Need to do a few miles first
JabawokJayUK is offline  
Status: Powerflex Mk4 - Non Squeak Edition
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
JabawokJayUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 3,381
Images: 31
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Jury is out for now. Need to do a few miles first
Jury is in, they rock. Very good pads indeed.
JabawokJayUK is offline  
Status: Powerflex Mk4 - Non Squeak Edition
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
JabawokJayUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 3,381
Images: 31
Garage
Was at a client and they had a weigh bridge so I just had to be cheeky and park on it

http://dev.jabawoki.com/alfa-forum/IMG_0061.JPG

1730kg! not bad given all the ICE in the Boot!

Last edited by JabawokJayUK; 19-11-14 at 22:03.
JabawokJayUK is offline  
Status: Breraless :(
AO Platinum Member
 
Squadrone Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Neath Port Talbot
Posts: 29,906
Images: 45
Noticed mine's developed a sudden clonk from the front driver's side.

This wasn't the side that got kerbed & repaired but the wheel bearing & rack end (not track rod end) did get replaced as part of the overall job.

It's audiable on speed humps & potholes at low speeds.

Last edited by Squadrone Rosso; 20-11-14 at 18:53.
Squadrone Rosso is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Rutland
Posts: 466

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Was at a client and they had a weigh bridge so I just had to be cheeky and park on it

http://dev.jabawoki.com/alfa-forum/IMG_0061.JPG

1780kg! not bad given all the ICE in the Boot!
Makes you think 4 up and some luggage it would be over two tonnes...

I'll stick mine on next opportunity we've got a few at work...
R159 is offline  
Status: -
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
159_kid's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 1398
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,848
All booked in for B12 & powerflex upgrades @ autolusso in a couple of weeks
159_kid is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Lincolnshire
Posts: 741

Member car:

GT 1.9jtd

NSF wheel bearing this aft , not a bad job to do really
bembo449 is offline  
Status: Powerflex Mk4 - Non Squeak Edition
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
JabawokJayUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 3,381
Images: 31
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 159_kid View Post
All booked in for B12 & powerflex upgrades @ autolusso in a couple of weeks
You will love the impact this has on handling
Bruce100 likes this.
JabawokJayUK is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome