What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today? - Page 114 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 766Likes

Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Had my new Sessanta's fitted by my local indie. The car drives lovely again.... its amazing how much difference new tyres makes!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Had my new Sessanta's fitted by my local indie. The car drives lovely again.... its amazing how much difference new tyres makes!!
Just like clean bed sheets.....aaaahhhhhhh
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Took mine in to have the steering rack end replaced, the last bit in my post off road excursion jigsaw.

Could have beer worse (undertray, front wheel bearings, steering rack end & wheel arch liner).
AO Platinum Member

^^ and what a difference it has made ^^
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
Took mine in to have the steering rack end replaced, the last bit in my post off road excursion jigsaw.

Could have beer worse (undertray, front wheel bearings, steering rack end & wheel arch liner).
Was it the track rod arm like the one at the bottom of this page? Alfa Romeo 159 Track Rod End

Do you reckon it would've made a difference replacing it pre crash? For the sake of £40, I'm ust wondering whether to add it to my suspension overhaul list.
AO Silver Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Garage
Finally the DVLA returned my V5C so I was able to fit my plates on the car. Got these "3D" Alfa Romeo number plate holders.....whaddya think? (Yes I know the car is boggin'! lol.....that's tomorrow's job......)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brera Plate 1.jpg (119.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-10-21 17.58 (2).jpg (113.3 KB, 25 views)
AO Member

County: Cornwall
Quote:
Originally Posted by 147virgin View Post
Finally the DVLA returned my V5C so I was able to fit my plates on the car. Got these "3D" Alfa Romeo number plate holders.....whaddya think? (Yes I know the car is boggin'! lol.....that's tomorrow's job......)
They're looking slick. Are the road legal? I know a mate of mine that had those style on his Beamer, he got pulled by the police and fined...
AO Silver Member

nice
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcooker View Post
Was it the track rod arm like the one at the bottom of this page? Alfa Romeo 159 Track Rod End

Do you reckon it would've made a difference replacing it pre crash? For the sake of £40, I'm ust wondering whether to add it to my suspension overhaul list.
No mate, this bit https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=s...5424&sku=58582

Had the outer ends changed last year to cure a horrid creaking.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Shad86 View Post
They're looking slick. Are the road legal? I know a mate of mine that had those style on his Beamer, he got pulled by the police and fined...
Thank you Yep...the plates are deffo road legal - they're pressed aluminium - got the manufacturers name, etc on them. ......surely having a surround isn't illegal?.....is it????
AO Member

County: Cornwall
Quote:
Thank you Yep...the plates are deffo road legal - they're pressed aluminium - got the manufacturers name, etc on them. ......surely having a surround isn't illegal?.....is it????
I know it was the pressed aluminum that was the reason for it, he didn't have the surround.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
I know it was the pressed aluminum that was the reason for it, he didn't have the surround.
Hnmm....I bought the plates off Amazon....seller says they are deffo road legal. TBH I have had gel show plates on my car before - had them on my car for years and never got pulled. Even when I got stopped for going through an amber(ish) light and fined, the police asked about my plates and never cautioned me about them.....and they WERE illegal!
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Garage
That's a good reg number for pressed plates.
Centres fell out of the "0" and "6" on a couple of my French plates after a few years...
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post
That's a good reg number for pressed plates.
Centres fell out of the "0" and "6" on a couple of my French plates after a few years...
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 SV "S"

Spent 5hrs prepping her for Winter inside and out. Then enjoyed a blast round the B-roads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (163.0 KB, 22 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Gave her a quick Hoover, and also booked her in for a service on Thursday down at autolusso, will need some new front pads too.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
AO Platinum Member

Took mine out on the Pistonheads run this morning. Car did good
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa 159 Ti SW

Quote:
They aren't illegal assuming that the font is correct, the spacing is correct and the reflectiveness is correct. The plates should also have the manufacturers name and post code (center) and a BSAU145d mark in the right hand corner to show that they meet all the requirements.

As long as they meet the above requirements they are legal no matter what material they are made out of

Chances are you beemer mate had them done in the "german" font as many VW/BM owners tend to do and as stated above these do not meet the requirements and were probably sold as "show plates" and wont have had the BSAU145d marking
AO Silver Member

Garage
chrismkiv that's reassuring - checked and my plates have the BSAU145d mark and manufacturer's name and postcode. Many thanks
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa 159 Ti SW

Quote:
chrismkiv that's reassuring - checked and my plates have the BSAU145d mark and manufacturer's name and postcode. Many thanks
Just as a follow up - I am not a policemen so don't take my word for it (I used to have the pressed plates on my old car and did a fair amount of research to make sure there were legal before buying and in the 3 years I had them, I never had any trouble.)

Anyway I forgot to post a couple of links in my previous post

The main legislation guidelines
Legislation

If you look at the FAQ's page near the bottom you will see:

"The current standard is a performance standard and the panel is keen that it remains non-prescriptive ie the standard does not require the plates to be made of any particular materials as long as they meet the performance requirements - this is designed to encourage innovation by industry. This means for example that in effect that either plastic or metal plates can be used, and this principle will be carried forward into the new standard."

So I think you don't have a thing to worry about and now if you do ever get pulled you will know the facts
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismkiv View Post
......So I think you don't have a thing to worry about and now if you do ever get pulled you will know the facts

AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

159 2.4

Wrapped my 18" horseshoes with some kumho tyres last week and after warming them up a bit on some motorway runs, went for a quick blast tonight... very impressed! Don't want to start any arguments but had accelleras on before and what a difference! Only £125 per corner makes it even sweeter!
AO Member

County: Chisinau
Quote:
Yep...the plates are deffo road legal - they're pressed aluminium - got the manufacturers name, etc on them. ......
I know they look cool, but have you considered the following fact: the modern speed cameras have advanced OCR algorithms that allow to recognize plates even when completely covered in a layer of dirt, using the the shadow lines from 3D profile of the letters. So, should you be caught a little mischievous, you are basically helping to get your plates recognised. Especially on the trips to continent, where they had 3D for a long time and have more cameras to take advantage of that.

I know nobody keeps their car covered in layers of dirt just for that, but still on a rainy autumn's day it will get dirty by the evening. Especially rear numberplates area.

Last edited by alex5; 28-10-14 at 17:14.
AO Member

County: Rutland

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4

Somehow I managed to average 48 mpg on a 180 mile round trip to RAF Cosford for half term fun. Stuck to the speed limits but I was surprised with that result
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFA A View Post
Wrapped my 18" horseshoes with some kumho tyres last week and after warming them up a bit on some motorway runs, went for a quick blast tonight... very impressed! Don't want to start any arguments but had accelleras on before and what a difference! Only £125 per corner makes it even sweeter!
I got two Lassa Phenoma mid range tyres (£190 fitted) last week. Had never even heard of the brand (made by Bridgestone apparently) and I am chuffed with their road holding and low road noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex5 View Post
I know they look cool, but have you considered the following fact: the modern speed cameras have advanced OCR algorithms that allow to recognize plates even when completely covered in a layer of dirt, using the the shadow lines from 3D profile of the letters. So, should you be caught a little mischievous, you are basically helping to get your plates recognised. Especially on the trips to continent, where they had 3D for a long time and have more cameras to take advantage of that.

I know nobody keeps their car covered in layers of dirt just for that, but still on a rainy autumn's day it will get dirty by the evening. Especially rear numberplates area.
I'm a good girl......(whistles and looks upwards) ...whatever are you implying?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , today