159 buying, is this one good? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 05-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
159 buying, is this one good?

Hi All, sorry but I really need some helpful advice, I am dying to get a 159 now.
link broken, so found direct link to dealer site... so pasting blurb below too.

2006 (06 reg)
75,000 miles
1.9L Diesel

great price no?! almost too good to be true.
So I saw this car just now, sadly not full fsh, and the history is a strange one:
has service records for 2008, 2009 and 2011, only 4000miles in that 18months 09>11, elderly man, health issues is the story...
is that ok for a diesel? and the oil was completely clean...! cleaner than in my petrol, garage say 'nope, last service was 2011, I know the guy, car has been standing since, I can ring and ask if you like?'
belts and pump done at 2011
new front tyres too, new batt as standing. new rear brakes, beyond this no clue of 2006-2008

*odd thing, oil on 2009 says magnatec 10w40... thats what I just put in my 1.6 petrol?!
and the next one had 5w40 selenia...

generally seems ok condition, few chips on bonnet, 3 are brown... a couple of dents, fair for the price I suppose...

all engine bay screws are corroded.
the engine bay looked too clean? is the third I've seen, but the other two were grotty.

he refused to let me test drive it!!! very odd! 'buy it, if you don't like the drive I'll pay you back same day...' Riiiiiiiiiiight... BUT TEMPTED!

I'm off to bed so can't reply until 1am most likely but I'm just so stumped??? I'm on a budget hence going for cars this cheap.
thanks for reading. sorry for the length of info
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex
I have never seen clean oil in a diesel, even after an oil change.
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
Never seen clean oil in the 3 diesels I have had, and would never even contemplate buying a car I haven't driven.

Engine has been cleaned as per most used car places, I prefer to see it in its oily best, then you can see if there are any leaks, stains etc.

And look at the cream, ah, the cream.........interior that is. Suppose it brightens the interior space a lot.

Looks in good nick though, cleans up nicely.
AO Member
Looke nice but don't hand any money over until you've had a test drive.....
AO Silver Member
Really wierd that he won't let you test drive it. Must be hiding something at that price.

Getting your money back after sale would be a nightmare, because I suspect that the price reflects the problem that is being hidden, so you wouldn't have as much protection from consumer legislation as you would have if you were sold a lemon at full whack.

If the car has barely been usen in 3 years and been standing for a few months, it could be riddled with problems. No car reacts well to prolonged disuse, Alfas are no different.
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
Walk away. It sounds odd, missing service history, won't let you test drive etc. There's others out there.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 17
County: West Yorkshire
Ask mangoletsi for the service history, they sold it might have serviced it. Unless you can drive it though, walk away.
AO Member

Member car:

3 series (sorry)

No test?? No buy!!!
AO Gold Member
Unless you unfortunately look like a chancer, this is odd, though some dealers do ask for a refundable deposit for test drives, basically they want to secure the deal and only break it if the test drive is bad.

Car actually looks OK and could easily have went from late 2006 to early 2008 without a service as it wouldn't have hit 18k.

The wrong oil is more of a worry, but at this age and miles none will be perfect.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1398
Originally Posted by Alfiefreak View Post
No test?? No buy!!!
Wot alfie said!!!! Id be asking questions why you cant test drive it? Whats he hiding?!?!
AO Member
County: -
When I sell a car I encourage potential buyers to drive because I want them to have a feel for the car. The only way to realistically avoid this is to auction the car.

It's fair to expect test pilots to prove they have insurance or deposit the asking price before driving on the understanding that if they nick it or crash it they don't get anything back. But you can't expect people to buy from an ad without driving.

I'd walk from this and I have a LOT of experience.
AO Member
County: West Sussex
Nope don't buy it. No drive no buy.
(Post Link) post #13 of 16 Old 06-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
haha thanks all, appreciate the input. I thought he was completely nuts to refuse a test drive, his excuse was a porsche! he gets idiots in all the time asking and has to refuse them with the same excuse... indeed, this ain't the porsche... and how lame...

I admit my attire was suspect but he was far more polite than the few dealers I've met recently even if 'wheeler dealery', I work nights doing boring IT, so had a hoodie on and baggy jeans, not clever but with my hours I can only view cars first thing after work, I got to richmond about 11am that time...

think I might go back if its still there in a week, as it really does look good nick.
the engine bay... looks like possibly doused in wd40?! I could see no signs of wiping/washing/reside etc. it was just clean.
he denied having the bay cleaned, or even the interior... its almost spotless inside but I can tell its not been cleaned, black marks on rear of passenger seat. the 'rug' mats are spotless too, look new.
*wear and grease patches in the engine bay match the one I saw the day before, that was sadly in a rather sorry state with hardly any service history.
I'll call Mangos about this one anyway as it is very tidy and the engine sounded pretty good for the 15mins I had it running - I checked the oil after this!

bit more info if anyone else is tempted, he was honest and said he had the car up for 6k, no calls, put down to... I think 5700 and only couple calls, now down to this price 5190, on autotrader its easily the best (price wise) says he's had at least 5 people call and I was the first to visit

I would say barring the strange history and the strange clean oil this car is worth a look if you are smarter than me and if you can haggle
County: Kowloon City Kowloon
If you have a good garage with good supply, is a good deal. But my experience with a second hand 6 years old car with low milage and looking good in basic service not equal to nothing else need to be change. Lot of part is out of warranty, I pay plenty of visit to the garage to have the problem fixed. May be you have better luck than me.
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

As others have said, walk away. Very odd, "give me the money and I'll give it back if you don't like it". You'd never see the money again. Why not let you have a 15 minute drive?
AO Silver Member
County: -
Originally Posted by nascot View Post
Walk away. It sounds odd, missing service history, won't let you test drive etc. There's others out there.
Totally agree. Don't rush into it. I didn't and, despite wanting and nearly going for a Lusso Estate with problems, ended up with a mint Turismo saloon which I'm much happier with and for a lot less money.

Last edited by Unkle Munkle; 11-07-12 at 13:06.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , buying , good