Services and cam belts. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 03-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 SW 1.9JTDm

Services and cam belts.

I have a 07 (july) 159 1.9jdtm. It has done 32k. Had the dpf and egr "fixed" by alfatune about 18 months ago due to getting warning lights on the dash and limp modes on a reg basis. Had it serviced and MOT'd end of last july by alfatune too. As i've only done about another 8k since then i was just planing on getting it MOT'd this july as i believe that the service interval is 18k or 2 years, which ever is sooner. However due to it's age i'm confused as to whether i need the cam belt changing. Is this change done purely on mileage. I've read this should be done at about 70k (not 96k as per the official figures) but that would be an age off for me with the milesage i do.

What do folks think?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
At 5 years I would get the belt and water pump replaced
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
I am interested as to why you run a diesel doing such low annual milage?

Agree with CJ (this is becoming a habit now...) the belt/pump should be done now. Schedule says 90K or 5 years.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 04-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 SW 1.9JTDm

Thanks for that advise. Asked a work colleague and they said to wait, but think i'll take your advise.

Any ideas on approx cost? and as it was only serviced about 8k ago, does it just need the cam belt/water pump doing, or another service as well?

As for why a got a diesel. I wanted an estate for getting the camping gear in the back and the 2 kids and the high tax and low MPG of the petrol put me off getting one of those (i'm getting an avergae 41mpg doing mostsly short trips) morelike 50 mpg when we head off down the motorway. I plan on keeping this for some time. It may take me twice as long to get to what most people wold do in 5 years, but with no other cars getting close to the style of a 159, why would i want to change? That is unless alfa bring out a new estate soon that i can afford (I doubt it) Or the 159 dies a horrible and unfixable death. (had a 147 for 7 years and the only thing done was new tyres and brake pads along the way, so fingers crosed this will be the same.)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

belts , cam , services