New to site, advise please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 30-06-12 Thread Starter
County: Cheshire

Member car:

alfa brera

New to site, advise please

I've just bought a brera 2.4 td and have a few questions.

1, the car occationally misfires and cuts out on start up the car is under warrenty and has gone back, they have now stated that the egr valve needs replacing and are awaiting the part to be delivered from alfa, has anyone else encountered this issue and did a new egr valve solve this?

2, the brakes are poor, sweek and fade, looking into buying better brakes maybe ebc turbo grooved discs and red stuff pads cost 361.00 for all round. can you buy better for the same or a little more?

I have only had the car about one month and I am happy to be a member of the alfa gang, the car is stunning and is really not that bad for a diesel, I am quite ocd-ish with cars and need them to run perfect as they should any tips etc! also when should i change my cam belt, brera is at 56,000 miles?..

any advise appreciated, cheers.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Greater Manchester
Hello and welcome to AO!

EGR valve issues are very very common on modern diesels, so nothing out of the ordinary there. The Valve recirculates exhaust gas, and so gets full of soot and fails.

Current thinking on the cambelt is 60,000 miles. Make sure you get the water pump done at the same time, as this is actually what normally fails.

Not yet had to change my brakes, so can't help you there, but hopefully someone who can will be along soon .
AO Member
County: West Sussex
Hi and Welcome.

As Redman says EGR is a standard "Feature" of modern diesels. Some say you can clean and i will be trying this shortly on my 159 but under warrenty definately get replaced.

Also the Cambelt limit is 90,000 miles per the book but agree 60,000 4 years is much more reasonable and again the pump is a must really due to the very little extra at that point.

As to brakes I have the standard disks pads and had them changed about 10,000 miles ago and along with new fluid at the last service they are excellent although they do squeak a bit. If you want other makes I'm not the man to speak to but one will be along shortly I'm sure.

Changing the brake fluid does make a difference depending on how old / waterlogged the old fluid is.

Again welcome and enjoy
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 01-07-12 Thread Starter
County: Cheshire

Member car:

alfa brera

Cheers guys,
will defo get the belt and water pump changed soon, brakes ca wait for the time being!

Thanks again

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

advise , site