Bashed 19" Alloy - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 20-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Berkshire
Bashed 19" Alloy

The missus has kerbed the nearside front alloy on the 159Ti. Yes, one of the really expensive multispoke jobs. To be fair to her, she was pretty much run off the road by an oncoming coach, so it was either risk the wheels or lose the wing mirror.

So, it is scuffed, badly enough to go through the plastic coating and shiny metal is visible. Structurally it is fine.

Do I:

1) Ignore it, that wheel will be bashed many times in the future

2) Get it fixed, because if I don't, water will get between the plastic and the alloy and look terrible/corrode the wheel etc

If I do get it fixed, does anyone have experience of "Smart Repairs"? I have a 156 that could do with a makeover as well....
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Kent
I'd leave it until the others look a bit tatty and then send all 4 to a company that strips them back to metal and fully re-paints them like these Alloy Wheel Refurbishment | Alloy Wheel Repair | Kent | Lepsons
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 SV "S"

You definitely need to protect the wheel from corroding or it'll get under the paint and start to blister and peel off eventually. Funnily enough I got my first chip on one of my 4 month old 19" alloys and had a the same dilemma as you a couple of weeks ago.

After a bit of thought I went down to my local model shop and got myself a 2 pot of enamel model paint and a 1 model brush and touched up my alloy.

If you've got the multispoke silver alloys there'll definitely be a metallic silver enamel in your local model shop. It'll keep the elements off your alloys and will barely be noticeable. You can keep touching them up as you get more chips and scuffs until you feel like getting them reconditioned when they'll strip off the enamel and respray them anyway.

Make sure you get a touch up pen to brush the scuffed area first or the enamel might not stick properly. Halfords sell them in their anti-rust section for a few quid.

Happy days.
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

Jag XE on order

my wife also drives my Alfa on 19inch wheels, so i would choose suggestion 1 and agree with alfa.romeo best wait till the wheels are in a condition where a refurb will make a noticable and satisfying change to the vehicle cos lets face it there will be more!
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 21-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Berkshire

I will not worry about it, but will do my best to seal it up with some enamel as a temporary bodge.
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

159 SW Ti

I'll third that! leaving them until they are all needing doing. Wives and 19" not a match made in heaven

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

alloy , bashed 19