replacement gearbox - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 11-06-12 Thread Starter
County: Nicosia

Member car:

Alfa Romeo

Help replacement gearbox

I am the owner of a 2006 Alfa 159 1.9 jtdm 16v.

I face a problem with my gearbox that is it makes a "woomp", "woomp" noise on first and second gears.

Also I face a problem with my clutch which sometimes, rarely though, does not return to position but it just remains stuck halfway. I do not know if this relates to the gearbox problem stated above.

As in Cyprus where I live is extremely difficult to find used Alfa gearboxes and rebuilding the gearbox is a very expensive process I was wondering if the GM/Opel/Vauxhall gearboxes which can be found easily in Cyprus, could fit.

If yes please let me know the relevant GM/Opel/Vauxhall Gearbox model / Part number so I can locate if in the local market.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

159 Sportswagon.

Could be a bearing by the sounds of it.

My understanding is that other models of gearbox have different gearings and splines so would need stripping and replacing. I would have thought a rebuild would be cheaper.

I was quoted £500 for gearbox removal and replacement and £300 for new bearings, not bad as a full bearing kit is £150.

If you could remove the gearbox yourself (pig of a job I understand) and give it to a gearbox rebuilder you would save a fair bit.

sorry I cant be more help

AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

159 Ti

m32 gearbox as used in astra zafira and meriva?

a load of pants in all cars and just time bombs waiting to go bang, be better off rebuilding what you have and getting it shimmed up properly, something that was never right at the factory.
AO Member
County: Buskerud

Member car:

159 Jtdm TI SW

look into this thread, maybe it helps.

The noise you have, possible to record it and share it with us ? It's difficult to say anything cause noises can be several things.

Did you change oil in the gearbox ?

Your clutch, how many KM ? clutch release bearing ?

Best tip is to go to and have the car diagnosed before you do anything with it. not good to pay a lot of money unless you know what is your problem.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , gearbox , gearbox or clutch , jtdm16v , opel or vauxhall , problem , replacement