6 cylinders. Big
AO Silver Member
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
I did this a few years ago.
Takes a while, but easy enough.
1. Turn the steering wheel to 90 degrees left or right.
2. Remove the negative battery terminal for at least 15 mins. This is to ensure the air bag doesn't go "bang"!
3. Remove the steering column cover.
4. Using a flat blade screw driver (there is s special tool for the job, but a screwdriver works, as big as will fit in the hole) insert from behind the steering wheel. The holes can be seen on the picture below. You will need to turn/twist the screwdriver until the clip pops up. The clips are simple plastic slot in ones, you are using the screwdriver to twist them away.
5. Turn the steering wheel the opposite way to access the other hole. Repeat the unclipping process. This can take some time, mine was trial and error, don't be afraid to give it a good shove!
6. When both clips are undone, carefully slide the airbag module out, they are heavy.
7. Unclip the horn and air bag power cables.
8. Place the air bag module carefully away from you.
9. Refitting is the reverse, just clip it back in after you have attached the cables.
Hope this helps!
Moved over to the dark side
And loving it