159 1.8 Petrol timing belt change? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 30-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 159

159 1.8 Petrol timing belt change?

Looking for some advice please. My 1.8 ltr 159 is due its service next week. It's a 2007 and has 31,000 miles on the clock. My garage told me the timing belt will need to be done. The car is 5 yrs old now, so that's fair enough. The thing is, I'm a bit skint at the moment! Now if it has to be changed then I'll get it done. But seeing as though the mileage is still fairly low, I was wondering if it would be safe enough to leave the camblet change for another year?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
I would strongly suggest you get it done.
Although your mileage is very low, and the 1.8 isn't a strictly true Alfa engine (as in the TS and JTS versions) it is well due a change.
A few hundred now could save you a grand+ in the very near future.
AO Member
County: West Sussex
Unfortunately I would agree. I don't know about the GM units now they have the VVT Heads on them but with the same basic block an dthe basic head on them in days gone by it was just as important on the Alfa TS / JTS engines. It was always 4 years 40,000 Miles.

My friend had a Omega 2.5 V6 and abait different engine completely it was 4 Years 40,000 Miles on every model year before and after his but they had tried raising the interval to 8 years 80,000 Miles for just his year. About 6 years and 30,000 Miles in he had a whirring noise he took it to hte dealer to have a look at. The guy came over and had a look in the carpark. He put a big sign on it "Push into Garage don't drive". The garage whas actually up a fairly steep incline from the garage and a Omega V6 Auto isn't light.

One of the pulleys had seized up (The actual problem on these engines not the belt) and the belt was literally just strands.

Still he got away with it!

As with most engines its not the belt thats the concern its the timing pulleys / waterpump in my mind.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , belt , change , petrol , timing