Am I going mad? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 27-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
Am I going mad?

OK! So it's that time of year again for me to start searching for insurance quotes on the various comparison websites.

I understood premiums were all going up but my lowest quote on my 2.2 Brera is 161

Now I realise everything is in my favour. I have reached the ripe old age of 61, I am retired so only require cover for 'social' useage. I have a longer period of NCB than most of you will have been driving. I only travel 4000 miles per annum in this vehicle but have 3 points for motorway speeding. My wife is a named driver with one 'no blame' accident on her record.

I have now had my Brera six years and despite its low mileage and excellent condition consider a valuation of 7000 to be optomistic.

Cover is fully comp with protected no claims, 500 total excess, windscreen and glass roof cover and courtesy car.

The quote is from the AA and includes breakdown cover (I currently pay 45 for this alone)

Has anyone been surprised recently at how cheap their Brera is to insure?

Last edited by R50 MEO; 28-05-12 at 10:16.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
I used compare the market and there are a handful of insurers who I'd never heard of before you came in really cheap, but when I did a search for them I found loads of bad reviews.

I actually ended up going with Shiela's Wheels this year with a fair level of cover (motor legal protection, no claims protection, 300 total excess) and were fairly cheap. I guess they have to insure men as well as women due to those recent court rulings.

500 excess is quite high but it's still a cheap quote you've got there.

Brat Pack no.8
AO Silver Member
PS I don't think the value of the car makes too much difference; according to Shiela's Wheels, my car falls into the category 7,500 - 50,000... I guess yours is technicaly in the next bracket down...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider