Rattle, rattle, rattle - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 21-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cheshire
Rattle, rattle, rattle

After curing one rattle (new swinging arm) I've now developed another one. I'm hoping from my description somebody here will be able to deduce what it is.

It's coming from the back of the car from around the parcel shelf area. It's a plastic rattling noise but I cannot for the life of me pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. I just know it's within that area. I don't need to be on a particularly bad road surface and the noise will be there 100% of the time.

I've folded the back seats forward to have a look underneath and all appears ok, looked in the boot, checked the spare wheel but again all ok.

You wouldn't believe how annoying it is to hear and it sounds as though it's something that could literally be fixed within 5 minutes.

Anybody got an ideas or suggestions as to what it may be or what I may have missed?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -
Have you taken the parcel shelf out to eliminate that ?

Check inside all the storage areas for loose items and empty out the contents of the spare wheel well too then take it for another drive.
AO Member
County: Staffordshire
this happens to me too! defo the parcel shelf area! i did the same, took spare wheel out/checked for loose objects and even screwed down the spare wheel tighter.

i still think it's the parcel shelf. i may take it out and put anti-creak tape around the edges. i'm thinking maybe it rubs on the quarter panels.

very annoying though!

also it could be the boot. i pressed firmly on my boot when it was closed and there is a little play within the latch.
i did adjust a latch on a ford focus once and it completely cured the knocking noise!
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 22-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cheshire
Hmm I'm not too sure how the parcel shelf comes off in the 159...I didn't even think that it did. How does it pop out?
AO Silver Member
County: Toliman
Yeap me too. Mine I think is the wire for the 3rd brake light vibrating on the metal parcel shelf support. The shelf is a pain in the arse to remove so I'm told. I was thinking a few squirts of expanding foam may do the trick.
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: Cambridgeshire
the 3rd brake light just pops off the shelf with a tug / prize, and you can access underneath the shelf from the boot through the holes for the bose sub on the left and a blanked off hole on teh right that you can push the blanking out of the way to gain access through.

will be an easier way to check if somethings rattling rather than removing the shelf.
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
I had two rattles from the back. The loudest was from brake hose hitting the suspension arm when a clip came loose. The second was from a rear light cluster which I found by tapping each one in turn.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider