Help with noise please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 17-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

civic type r

Help with noise please

Hi I needed a new tyre for my brera so it was a toss up between a new accelera or a part worn (6mm) p zero Nero to match the others so I went for the part worn Pirelli
Anyway it's my wife's car (brera 2.4) that doesn't do many miles so I don't drive it much but I've noticed that since having the new tyre fitted it appears to have developed a humming noise from about 50mph onwards I thought possibly wheel bearings but I've jacked the car up and wobbled all the wheels and there is no play in any of them do you think this could be a bad tyre or is there something else I should be looking at?
Thanks as always
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
Sounds very similar to an issue I had with my GT. The rear suspension on a GT, if not aligned properly, gives the inside edge of the tyre a scalloped affect. When traveling at speed it sounds very much like a hum. I thought it was a bearing issue.

Rub your hand along the inner edge of the tyre, one way then the other. If there is scalloping on the inner edge you will feel the difference. One way will be smooth with no resistance, the other way will have edges. This is the tyre wearing badly due to incorrect geometry.

A draw back of fitting part worns I'm afraid. Maybe the previous owner ditched the tyre because of this issue.

Moved over to the dark side

And loving it
AO Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

maybe moving the wheel to a different axle will help you decide whether the tyre is at fault?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider