Very sluggish 159 1.9 JTD :( - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 14-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8 TS Lusso

Madness Very sluggish 159 1.9 JTD :(

Hi all, had my 159 1.9 JTD for about 10 months now. The last month or so has left me wishing I had kept my 156 1.8 twinny

Don't get me wrong, the 159 is a beautiful looking car but the ever increasing sluggishness is killing me. Upon start up it is like the car is still asleep, I litterally have my foot to the floor when pulling off in first just to get it moving

When the turbo kicks in it flys but the delay before it kicks in is getting worse. It's downright dangerous at roundabouts!

I have read various posts on here that point towards a EGR/DPF removal along with remap but this is around 700 as far as I can gather.

Is there anything I can do in the mean time that will help these issues whilst I save up? Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance

Black 159 1.9JTD...
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Greater Manchester
Sounds like your EGR valve is jammed open. You could try taking it off and cleaning it. You could try taking it off and cleaning it. Search for a "how to" thread on here.
County: -

Member car:

Either the EGR and/or swirl valves and swirl valve actuator lever.
The swirl valves (tumble valves) should be closed at lower revs and open up as the revs rise. If they cannot close properly at lower revs the engine produces less power at the bottom end of the rev range.

They get gunged up by the recirculation gasses passing through the EGR valve, so not only is the EGR a likely cause of the problem it is possible that it makes another problem elsewhere in the inlet system.

Swirl valves can be cleaned in situ with carb cleaner, but really badly gummed up ones need the inlet to be removed.

You could also have a choked up DPF. Performing a forced regeneration cycle on it's own ought to produce a noticeable difference if that is the case.
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
What age and mileage is your 159?

Mine is 3 years and 4 months old with 96K on the clock, was becoming a bit sluggish in 1st/2nd over the past few weeks so did an EGR clean on Saturday (took 45 mins) and she is back to her usual spritely self.
Worth a try, dead easy and usually has immediate results.

Third post down gives a PDF link on how to clean it:

Hope this helps.

Moved over to the dark side

And loving it
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 26-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8 TS Lusso

Found out what the problem was... Faulty injector. Have had this replaced now along with a reconditioned egr. Car is back to running great now well all part from the bonnet sensor randomly telling me the bonnet is open when it clearly isn't... Have had the sensor cleaned up but still setting the alarm off

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , jtd , sluggish