New Alfa 159 2.4 owner needing some advice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 05-05-12 Thread Starter
County: Greater London
New Alfa 159 2.4 owner needing some advice

Hi everyone, Picked up a 159 2.4 last week , absolutely love it, problem is this morning on the way into work , it went all limp.... no revs above 2000....barley get to 40 mph, pretty much had to do the flint-stones all the way back home. Im pretty sure its the Egr valve , either blocked or needs replacing. So i wanted to get some suggestions >>> rather than paying for a clean or replacement valve would it make more sense to have a DPF removal, ERG delete/removal and a re-map?? I wanted one anyway. Does anyone know or can recommend someone in the London area or even Watford area. Secondly id like to replace the manufacturers satnav system with an aftermarket double din unit.....but after removing the existing unit ( manufacturers satnav) I have seen that the apperature is alot bigger and a standard 159 facia does not fit so im guessing i would need to replace the entire aluminium dash facia . the problem is where d i get one at a reasonable price. any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
If this is NOT a private sale get it fixed by the seller first - it could be a lot of reasons for the limp mod. If it is private sale get it fixed anyway.
After getting it fixed then yes to reprogramming the brain plus heart bypass surgery.

Also get 4 wheel alignment done from a good company with either Hunter or Beissbarth equipment and have the front toe set to 0 and also the rear toe and camber set to manufacturers settings. You may find the rear runs out of adjustment before the manufacturers settings are reached in which case get it as close as possible with the settings equal on both side.

Also read up in the forums about power steering fluid and find out what colour your is and what colour it should be.

Also read this thread about plastic / steel coolant bleed valves:-

After that, if you are mechanically competent, strip your front brakes and make sure the pads aren't partially or fully seized on the pins or the pins seized in the calliper.

After that and with a remap you will have a car that you WILL truly fall in love with but do not expect more than 36mpg - and with a remap the dash readout lies and records anything up to 8mpg more than you are really doing so measure average consumption from tankful to tankful.

Don't misunderstand me these are great cars and you will love it.

Last edited by kandlbarrett; 05-05-12 at 19:31.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , 159 or alfatune , advice , alfa , dpf , egrvalve , needing , owner , remap