159 2006 plate,1.9 JTDm, Gearbox Oil Change - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 27-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

alfa 159, 2.2ti

159 2006 plate,1.9 JTDm, Gearbox Oil Change

How often should the gearbox oil be changed?

Reason for asking is that one of the conditions on the warranty that came with the car was to ensure that this was done every 6000 miles, have no proof that the previous owner looked after the car as well as that...

Is it something that can be done quite easily for a novice? and any tips?
many thanks
Sponsored Links
County: Surrey
159 2006 plate,1.9 JTDm, Gearbox Oil Change

Hello Juzep,
You've probably found answers to your questions by now, but as far as the 'box oil frequency goes, every 6 mnths sound well over the top(unless you're doing huge mileages of course). The service intervals on that engine are every 18000 miles, with no mention in the service book of the need to change gearbox oil in between.
I have a 159 Sportswagon with the same engine and have done 108,000 in it, sticking to those recommended oil change intervals for the gearbox.
However, don't push it too far though, as mine's just developed a whining noise in 5th & 6th, which I'm told could be down to low oil.
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 2.0JTDm SW

Originally Posted by keltho View Post
mine's just developed a whining noise in 5th & 6th, which I'm told could be down to low oil.
Unlikely, the gearbox is sealed so unless you have a leak you won't ever lose oil. The oil can become contaminated with bits of swarf etc from crunched gear changes but TBH there is a massive magnet in there which gathers up almost everything even if you smash teeth off 3 or 4 cogs and mash one of your bearings (races and all)

The whining you can hear is much more likely to be related to a failing bearing on the end of the 6th gear shaft. These can last a few thousand miles after they start getting noisey but in my experience it failed within 200 miles of becoming noticable.

If you get any strange 'shunting' feelings when setting off from a standing start then pull over and get it recovered, mine did this 2 or 3 times one morning and within 50 miles it was in bits at the side of the road

If yours has become noisy then get it checked out by a garage you trust and be prepared for a big bill.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , 2006 , change , gearbox , jtdm , oil , plate