I must be in love with my 159! Is it just me? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 13-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Shropshire

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDM

Wave I must be in love with my 159! Is it just me?

15 months on from my first and thus far only Alfa, a 159 1.9 jdtm and just check the faults I have had and the cost.....
New wiper arm & bonnet paint touch up due to chaffing -Warranty
New ECS - Warranty (1000) (post multi fault codes)
Replaced passenger wishbone arm -Warranty Cost unknown
Headlight switch unit replaced (due to being unable to turn lights off at all & loss of dashboard menu) 500 -me pay
Cam belt & water pump replacement/ service 440 - me pay
Clutch replaced due to slip under load 800 - me pay
Front tyres replaced (I don't like slicks) 300 me pay
inlet manifold replaced (swirl valve bar totally worn & oval) Not sure on cost but expecting around 350+ as waiting for the bill. Job done & I only just picked up car this evening)
Now, call me a sceptic if you like but all in all I am starting to think that the claim that Alfa has it's shop in order since the 'old days of rust-buckets' seems a little premature.
2500+ on repairs since I bought it 15 months ago does stretch the limits of my love for the car somewhat.
Yes, I am still married albeit my good wife spits tacks when I mention what has now become 'My Car' and not 'Our Car'!
However, there is something that still makes me smile and despite our great British weather combined with a rather challenged bank balance of late I am still like a child with his favourite toy when the opportunity to drive absolutely anywhere, no matter the distance presents itself (or when I make some ropey excuse to have a need to go off for an hour in it)
What is is that causes this? No other car or indeed motor bike has ever had such an attraction to me when it comes to transportation! I haven't even had a remap to boast about ...YET....
I used to scorn at a friend when he used to tell me his tales of great expenditure on his 156 and wondered why he kept his Alfa for so may years. Alas he has succumbed to the spell of economy and the need to transport his huge dog around & replaced it but as I reflect there are great similarities.
Tell me, how long before the cost outweighs the heart?
Anyone else been on this journey?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Toliman
I would assue most of us, me for one, fourth alfa on the bounce, I have a lancia too. Shoot me now.
AO Silver Member
County: Carmarthenshire
20 in 27yrs between wifey and me and we are stilll on that journey, Long may it continue
AO Silver Member
County: Wrexham
I'm 12 months into this journey, but iv had no problems, looking through the history, they have all been done before I bought the car. :-p
Thing I can't help but think of is when I come to replace the 159, the alfas of new are not to my taste, they just don't float my boat! So only one I can think of is a brera or spider, but this is many years away....
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
I am just the same. Bought my 1.9 159 ti just over a year old 2.5 years ago. Loads of red paint warranty issues which have been sorted thanks to Mango's help. Love it to bits even more since I had the Mango Modifica 3 done on it - drives like a different car. I now have the quandry next year what to do as I cannot extend the warranty after next September and I do'nt think the 159 replacement / Giulia will be out by then.

Because I've been so pleased with it I think I'll probably get another 1.5 year old 159 ti again.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , love