Squeaky Brakes / wheels - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 12-04-12 Thread Starter
County: Somerset

Member car:

Brera S

Squeaky Brakes / wheels

Hi all,

I've recently just bought a used Brera S, love it! Although it's suffering from really squeaky brakes, whether under braking or pootling along at 30mph or under. I had a quick look and the pads seem fine, has anyone else had trouble with this? could it be the brakes getting stuck on slightly? Other than driving above 30 everywhere which can sometimes be tricky is there anything I can do or should look for?
I've got it booked in with Alfa next week but would rather diagnose it myself and go the cheaper route of getting it fixed if possible.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
It might be "dry" suspension bushes. Have a read on:
Fairly simple to try.
AO Member
County: Wiltshire
Hi Gibbsy,

It might be related or not, but my 2008 Brera 2.4JTDM (Brembo brakes on 18" rims) also has squeaky brakes (front ones only) and I've traced it down to a siezed pad in the front drivers calliper, well actually a siezed and cracked pad (cracked along the length of the pad).

The squeak only happened when the pads/discs were warm, after about 10 miles or so.

I'm in the process of replacing the pads, but with these Brembo's, they seem to be well known for having siezed pins (that need to be removed to pull the pads) as well as siezed pads. Plus on mine, as the pad has siezed I need to remove the calliper and unfortunately the 6" solid brake pipe that goes to it has also siezed (they made them in aluminium, which upon reading up seems to be a no no for brake pipes due to corrosion, which I have on mine ) so I will need to replace that pipe as well.

So I've ended up buying new pads, pins and braided brake hoses and have set myself the task of fixing/replacing these this weekend.

AO Member
County: Suffolk

Member car:

159 Ti 2.2

Good luck ! You may need to apply some heat to the pins with a mini gas torch. A gas soldering iron with attachments for this would work well, so you can keep the heat applied within a small area.
AO Member
County: Herefordshire
A punch and a lump hammer is generally all you need to shift the pins.

AO Silver Member
County: Toliman
120k the right size drift and a good size hammer is all I needed.
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 16-04-12 Thread Starter
County: Somerset

Member car:

Brera S

Cheers guys,
Pretty sure it sounds like seized pins and a sticking calaper (at least one, as I seem to be getting the squeak in surround sound!)
I've bit the bullet and have booked it in for a service and brake check at Alfa. They've already said they'd clean them up for me and include it as part of a basic service as a special offer as its my first service with them and first Alfa. Great customer service! I'm loving the Alfa club
Thanks for all your help

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

brakes , squeaky , wheels