Help! Odd clutch problem on 159 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 28-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 ti 1.9

Help Help! Odd clutch problem on 159

I have an Alfa 159 1.9 diesel, which has developed an odd problem with the clutch.

In town, all works fine. Driving first thing in the morning, or after a period of rest, the clutch is also fine.

However, if driving along a motorway for example (fast speeds, no depressing of the clutch etc), when I do finally come to press the clutch it feels 'tighter' than usual. Basically harder to press down, and has a little more restistance when lifting of the clutch again.

After that first clutch engage, it works fine, unless I then travel for another distance at speed, after which it feels 'loaded up' again.

I should add that the car changes gear perfectly, and there are no noises. And no, it's not the carpet getting stuck behind the pedal.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Sussex
I'd be interested in this too as I've noticed that on mine that the clutch pedal return is mostly fine but will occasionaly stop 4/5 up and then a 0.5 second later pop itself the final 1/5th? Also every now and again I hear/feel a noise like a spring/squeek when the clutch is being depressed.

I see after a seatch that this is nothing new and is very common. I think I might get an indpendents opinion and then hassle my mainline dealer as the car has an Alfa second hand warranty.

Last edited by eaglemmoomin; 28-02-12 at 18:18.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , clutch , odd , problem