The definitive diesel remap, EGR/DPF delete thread - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 159 Old 22-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Surrey
Idea The definitive diesel remap, EGR/DPF delete thread

So many of these threads flying about, i thought it might be useful for people to post their experiences of using different companies for the EGR/DPF delete and remap, plus how much they paid for it

Please include the following details:

Name of company:
Work done:
Price paid:
Gains:
Problems:
Overall experience:

Hopefully this will then give a nice list of the different services that people have used, the prices they paid and the overall level of service
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member

oh no not another remap / dpf egr removal thread

Here goes...

Name of company:Alfatune
Your car and engine: 159 1.9JTDm
Work done:Remap, dpf/egr removal / delete
Price paid:700
Gains:Claimed 45 - 60 bhp but unsure as not been on rolling road.
Problems: ZERO
Overall experience: EXCELLENT. Latest ECU software also installed during work. Car drives as it should
(Post Link) post #3 of 159 Old 22-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 159_kid View Post
oh no not another remap / dpf egr removal thread

Here goes...

Name of company:Alfatune
Work done:Remap, dpf/egr removal / delete
Price paid:700
Gains:Claimed 45 - 60 bhp but unsure as not been on rolling road.
Problems: ZERO
Overall experience: EXCELLENT. Latest ECU software also installed during work. Car drives as it should
I've made this one so that everyone can post in 1 thread rather than threads all over the place

Looks like you had a good experience
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge_don View Post
I've made this one so that everyone can post in 1 thread rather than threads all over the place

Looks like you had a good experience
yes no complaints from me smudge very pleased with alfatunes work

I should really add another post as previous to the alfatune work i had a angel remap...
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Anyone who has tried both AHM/Alfatunes and Angels handywork to compare share your findings please.
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Name of company: Motormech
Work done:Remap, DPF made hollow /egr removal / delete
Price paid: 370
Gains:Claimed no idea, and dont care
Problems: RATTLE from empty DPF. Loose bracket i'm told, just needs attention. Not major problem!
Overall experience: EXCELLENT. Car so much more responsive and about 5MPG more.
Club Member

Name of company:Angel
Your car and engine:159 1.9JTDm
Work done:Remap
Price paid:275 i think
Gains:claimed 45 bhp
Problems:very smokey. worried that egr / dpf / inlet mfold would clog v quickly
Overall experience:service ok just found map to be worryingly smokey
AO Member

County: West Sussex
Name of company:Motormech
Your car and engine:159 Ti Sportwagon: 1.9JTDm engine
Work done:Sports remap and DPF removal, EGR retained (for now!)
Price paid:360 inc VAT
Gains: Now 200bhp/400 Nm (but not verified)- PDQ for a 1.9 diesel though! Much more performance and drivability; now a wonderful car to drive
Problems:No technical problems but didn't cure appauling mpg- maybe 3 mpg better, but still only upto 39 mpg however slowly you drive, typically 36 mpg (general mixed driving, brim to brim)
Overall experience: Other than not curing the problem I have with thirst it was the best thing that could have happened to the car. The guys knew what they doing and took time to get it right. No smoke issues etc. just a big big improvement in performance.

Great idea to tabulate and sort out the various bits of information.
AO Silver Member

(Previous 159, sold 12 months ago)

Name of company: Angel
Your car and engine: 159 1.9jtdm
Work done: Standard remap
Price paid: 225
Gains: approx 45bhp
Problems: One limp mode when on the motorway, but this was after the car had sat for a week. No other issues.
Overall experience: Good. Knowledgable telephone consultancy, interested and thorough "technician" to do the job. MPG did increase by 5% (ish).

Name of company: Angel Tuning
Your car and engine: 159 2.4 jtdm Qtronic
Work done: Remap
Price paid: 195
Gains: 45bhp/65lbs torque - not verified
Problems: none
Overall experience: Excellent, car is more responsive, seen improvement on mpg by 5.
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Mods,
What are the chances this thread could be elevated to "sticky" status - alongside "paintwork in tatters" etc etc?
AO Member

County: Leicestershire
Name of company: Angel Tuning
Your car and engine: Alfa 159 Ti Sportwagon 2.4
Work done: DPF Removal and EGR Delete plus Remap
Price paid: 370
Gains: 60 bhp
Problems: None so far!
Overall experience: Excellent - very very pleased with it - decent increase in performance, no dpf problems and no side effects
(Post Link) post #13 of 159 Old 23-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natwest View Post
Mods,
What are the chances this thread could be elevated to "sticky" status - alongside "paintwork in tatters" etc etc?
Was just about to say this, definitely needs to be "sticky'd"
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Name of company: AHM
Your car and engine: 159 2.4jtdm
Work done: remap, egr delete/DPF remove
Price paid: 700
Gains: smoother power delivery and tickover, turbo lag has vanished; increased mid range, much better acceleration and so far, slightly improved fuel consumption.
Problems: erm...none, unless torque steer is a real issue?! it's brilliant!

I know AHM aren't the cheapest, but I wanted the DPF replaced rather than cut about and I'm very happy with what they have done.
Regional Representative

County: Greater Manchester
Name of company: Alfatune
Your car and engine: 2007 159 1.9 jtdm
Work done: F1 remap, dpf removal with straight-through pipe replacement, egr fixed shut (January 2011)
Price paid: n/a - had a load of work done at once for an 'all-in' price but usually 700
Gains: 52bhp, 100 lb ft (both rolling road verified)
Problems: None whatsoever
Overall experience: Excellent. Big gains in power & torque. No more smoke than standard. Power band MUCH wider, first gear completely transformed, turbo lag reduced significantly. fuel economy at least 5% better. Bit pricey but safe in the knoweldge it's been done by the most knowledgable in the business. Had a Mangoletsi tuning box before this, and the difference is night & day

- Keepin' it moist -

AO Silver Member

County: Shropshire
Name of company: Alfatune
Your car and engine: 159 SW Lusso 1.9Jtdm
Work done: Map, DPF Removal & bypass pipe and EGR Shut down. (1st qtr 2010)
Price paid: Around 700 with other stuff.
Gains: Not sure but about 40-50BHP?
Problems: None
Overall experience: Excellent. Now done around 25k in this state. Original experience with Alfatune was for them to remap after a bodged map by A N Other, this was then followed up by DPF delete when it became available. I went for a more aggresive map (although i keep meaning to take it back to be reduced a little!) so MPG isnt vastly improved but my journeys are very short also now as I have the GT too, hardly any smoke, mine was one of the first customer cars and belive they have improved the map since with better MPG and even less smoke. Passed MOT easily with a smoke value of 0.47. Still have DPF in case I ever decide to replace when its sold or regulations change.

Past 1999 - Grigio Chiaro, 156 2.0 T-Spark SP1 - 2007 - Strombolli 159 1.9JTDM LUSSO SW + Alfatune DPF Removal/Map --- Present 2005 - Strombolli GT 3.2 V6

Last edited by johns159; 23-02-12 at 16:09.
AO Member

Name of company: Steinbauer
Your car and engine: 159 Lusso 1.9Jtdm
Work done: P-Box
Price paid: 200
Gains: 34 BHP
Overall experience: Torque is the most notable increase - BHP noticeable on motorway at speed. Still feels like it needs a bit more of both however.
AO Member

County: Suffolk
Name of company: AHM
Your car and engine: 2008 159 1.9 JTDM Ti
Work done: DPF removal, EGR blank, remap, oil and filter change
Price paid: 805
Gains: Complete removal of asthmatic car frustration. Joking aside, AHM estimate BHP to now be around 200
Overall experience: I'll quote from the original thread I made when I had it done - http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ed-by-ahm.html

I had my 159 Ti over at AHM on Friday, and thought I'd share the experience with everyone here just as a few others have done already.

I dropped it over on Friday morning at 9 am, and met Aidie who took all the details and checked the work to be done. I also asked him if he'd change the ol and filer while it was on the ramps and had the under tray off (I've only had the car a few weeks and thought it worthwhile as I'd heard that it isn't always changed on a dealer service).

4 hours later and it was all done. EGR bypassed, DPF removed and remap applied. The under tray fixings at the rear had worked loose and so AHM replaced all them too. I took the DPF away at their suggestion - I suppose it can always be put back on in the future for whatever reason (selling on maybe) and AHM said they cost about 1,500 to replace.

First impressions? Wow, a massive, massive difference. Firstly it sounds a little different. A little smoother, but with more of a rumble below 2,000 rpm. The smoothness could well be the oil change or merely a placebo effect.

The performance however is day from night. AHM reckon that on an engine of my age (2008, 43,000 miles) it should now be around 200 to 208 bhp. It certainly feels like it. The BMW 325 it replaced put out 217 bhp and it feels a lot closer, although the power delivery on a turbo diesel is of course very different.

There's more power available lower down now, below 2,000 rpm, and the turbo seems to spool from lower too. It sounds a little more audible too with it's whistling. From 2,000 rpm the power really delivers at quite a rate now and runs smoothly up to 4,000 rpm where it falls away. This has advantages and disadvantages, mainly due to the gearing and also due to the characteristics of a modern turbo diesel. In first and second gear, the power and torque feels almost too much - there's a rush of power and then you're reaching for the gearstick as you run out of revs too quickly. Where the improved power really comes into it's own is third gear and above. The in gear acceleration is far more usable now, and sixth gear can be held at speeds down to as low as 50 mph without really needing to change down.

Like others I've noticed that the car computer mpg is suddenly much improved. I'm was halfway through a tank, averaging 33 mpg and a a quarter of a tank later I'm already up to just over 40 mpg on just mixed driving. I'll need to run a full tank through to really judge, but I've now covered 440 miles on this tank with just over a quarter remaining. 600 miles on one fill up certainly now looks to be within easy reach.

The total cost was just over 800 - 720 is the base work and the remainder was for the oil change and fixing the under tray. If I was doing it for economy reasons alone, I wouldn't have bothered. There always seems to be someone on an Internet forum who could gleefully tell me that I'll have to fill it up 68 times or something to break even. However, for the change in driving dynamics alone it is worthwhile, and an investment I was happy to make. It transforms the 159 into the driving experience it probably should have had from the outset.

A final word on AHM - great, professional outfit. There were some lovely classic Alfas there (not to mention a decent Ferrari!) and they seem to really know their stuff and are very helpful. Well worth the 2 1/2 hour drive from Ipswich.

UPDATE SEVERAL MONTHS LATER

No issues have developed - all still great. I'm now on 49,000 miles so I'm 6,000 miles in now.

I did a long run a few weeks ago down to Bath and back and then down to Brighton and back, and cracked the 700 miles on one tank

If I hadn't have had this done I would have sold the car some time ago.
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Excellent thread and I now know I'm going for the DPF by-pass, EGR removal and remap rather than Mangoletsi Mod 3.

Sadly both Alfatune and AHM are a long way for me, but it has to be worth the trip (and drive home afterwards)

Thanks for the feedback
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muz_Wez View Post
Excellent thread and I now know I'm going for the DPF by-pass, EGR removal and remap rather than Mangoletsi Mod 3.

Sadly both Alfatune and AHM are a long way for me, but it has to be worth the trip (and drive home afterwards)

Thanks for the feedback
Try Alfatechnico near Junc 28 of the M1, near Mansfield.
AO Member

County: Overijssel
Name of company: ProAlfa
Your car and engine: 159 1.9JTDm 16v (2006)
Work done: EGR closed (software), DPF removed (internals) + custom map
Price paid: 400 GBP (450 with rolling road testing)
Gains: around 180 BHP, but the torque and driveability: very big gains!
Problems: none
Overall experience: Had my appointment with Graeme Miller from ProAlfa. He did a great job on my car. They tested several maps on it, until they were fully statisfied. All his employees are 'petrolheads', which gives you a good impression on how they work and think about cars. They also do Ferrari's, Maserati's, etc. All maps are custom made from a basemap. Due to a little higher mileage, they tuned mine a little different (easier on the turboboost when pushing it, etc).

What I received back is a totally different car. Very smoothly and (since I directly had to drive back to Holland) a much better MPG (also brim to brim). I have family in London, that's why I went to the UK for this operation.

Very statisfied for, what I think, a great price. I would recommend it to others definitely.
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Name of company: Avon Tuning
Your car and engine: 2008 Brera 2.4 jtdm
Work done: Stage 1 remap, dpf removal by core knock out and stealth welding on top, egr fixed shut and removed.
Price paid: 499 - all in
Gains: approx 40bhp+ and 100lb/ft
Problems: None really. Although there is a slightly eerie noise from the exhaust (apparently the DPF also acts as a slight noise muffler) and it now sounds more drainpipe like.
There is also what can be best described as a hot diesel type smell from the rear (didn't notice this with the DPF fitted, but notice it now wheneven I walk round the back with the engine running).
No increase in smoke though as far as I can tell.

Overall experience: Really excellent, Gareth at Avon Tuning was very knowledgeable and helpful in tuning the map, took around 6 hours all in to remap and fine tune, including sorting out a flat spot around 3krpm. The car drives so much better, smooth, torquey, no more limp modes . The MPG is around 4-5mpg increase at present and climbing (given that my journey is country lanes for 17 miles, then dual carraigeway for 5 miles - the MPG is around 38 - up from 31 ish).

Just hoping that I don't get any MPT issues come October this year, this hot diesel type smell is rather obvious and I didn't get it before, so hope that the friendly MOT chaps don't flag it up.
AO Member

County: East Lothian
Name of company: McLennans garage
Your car and engine:Brera 2.4 210
Work done:dpf removal and remap
Price paid:600 + vat
Gains: not sure
Problems:none
Overall experience:

different class like a new car. felt the car was noisy/rough before around the 2k rev range now nice and smooth(maybe egr faulty) goes like a rocket and no more regens great service by mclennans. never really monitored the mpg but in a week its definately doing more to the gallon.

also while it was in had full service, brake fluid change and timing belt/water pump done.
A6
AO Silver Member

County: Worcestershire
Name of company: NJS Pershore
Your car and engine: 2.4Jdtm Ti
Work done: Remap , EGR delete and DPF removal
Gains: Massive improvement in driveability and performance, mpg up by 6mpg on average
Overall experience: Great service, would def recommend and mod is fully reversible as I have my DPF in unmolested condition, note some of the cheaper variants require 'butchering' the DPF to reuse the temp sensor so if you need to reinstate the DPF you may need to source a new part costing a small fortune!!!
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Name of company: NJS Pershore (Great guy, Neil)
Your car and engine: 2.4Jtdm (210) Lusso
Work done: Remap , EGR delete and DPF removal
Gains: app. 250-260 bhp, Didn't have a rolling road done
Overall experience: More than a year now, and still going strong, Very smooth drive, can feel the torgue through the gears, completely transformed car. Absolute cruiser now on motorways, and you always have that urge to use the right foot. Infact, even during hard acceleration, haven't noticed any smoke..
Comments on NJS: Wonderful experience, went back to him recently, with an engine stuttering problem. Over the phone he suspected one of the injectors, but, on inspection managed to sort out the injector cap, for a few quids. Very reliable chap!!

Btw, NJS, AHM & Alfatune (Gus) , all share the same map, so, the work & price should be identical.. They do keep recommending each other based on location.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
definitive , delete , diesel , egr or dpf , remap , thread