The definitive diesel remap, EGR/DPF delete thread - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

County: -
Just to add to this board, had no idea Northern Alfa performance did rapping? When I was in having my Abarth Punto serviced, I asked Gareth about it and he said they do most new Alfas, Abarths etc. got him to do it while I was there went for a 175 remap and am very impressed, it feels much torquier to drive even when not in sport. Well happy ??
Think my tyres might not be though ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
Name of company: Autolusso
Your car and engine: 147 , 1.9 jtdm DC
Work done: EGR blanking plate fitted, EGR ECU delete & either stage 1,2 or 3 remap
Price paid:150
Gains: loads more smooth acceleration, more power
Problems:lots of smoke when decelerating around corners, possible over fuelling, lower MPG
Overall experience:reasonably happy but need to check which remap was used.

not sure if there are any other problems, ie injectors , turbo etc . the car has only 35k miles
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester
Name of company: V12ChipTuning Manchester (ecuremappingmanchester.com)
Location: Trafford Park Manchester, Just next to the Trafford Centre
Your car and engine: 159 , 1.9 jtdm
Work done: remap
Price paid: Very competitive, I'd had lots of prep work done in advance.
Gains: loads more smooth acceleration, more power, Much better MPG
Problems:a little smoke when starting from cold, possibly made worse by other issues.
Overall experience:Brilliant, I had already blanked off my EGR, Cored my DPF and had done a full service (Air, Oil filters and oil change) the day before the remap but I know my turbo is on it's last legs and my engine has had a very hard life. The remap is brilliant, only adding 34BHP and 50NM but it feels like a different car, much more responsive, much better acceleration in all gears (except 1st where there appears to be no difference, which is what I expected) but the fuel economy is outstanding! I can now get 50MPG on the motorway and dual carriageways driving at more than the legal limit (Like my arse was on fire) whereas I always had to drive like I had Miss Daisy in the back to get economy like that before the remap. IIRC it's been about 2 months since I had it done and if it hasn't paid for itself already in fuel then it will have in the next couple of weeks (never mind the more fun I have in the car!)
AO Member

County: Swansea
Name of company: SCM Remaps
Your car and engine: 159 Ti 1.9 jtdm 150
Work done: EGR and DPF delete and Remap.
Price paid:220
Gains: Car feels much nicer to drive, easier to pull away and loads of torque. can't comment on MPG yet.
Problems:Went for test drive and noticed the clutch slipped on 1 or 2 occasions. recommended getting a kevlar clutch.
Overall experience:Very happy with the work done so far. I done the egr blanking and fitted a DPF bypass pipe myself. Didn't have it dyno'd but was quoted approximately 30bhp and 60nm of torque just from the remap, so was told to expect roughly an extra 10bhp and a bit more torque from the dpf delete. he mentioned that he had a vauxhall on the dyno last week with the same engine and that was running at 190bhp with just a remap. So said that mine would more than likely be running at 195-200bhp.
Dazz_A likes this.
AO Member

County: Essex
Company - red dot
Location - Enfield London
Car - 159 .2.4 ti 2007
Work done - remap . Egr delete and dpf bore out
Price - 400
Gains , car feels quicker and more lively through the gears
Had no issues before car only on 24k
Problems- bit more smoke on start ( always had a puff on start ) now smoking whenever foot down hard , not sure if this will clear out over time ?
Overall experience - my biggest issue is I don't know if it should be better /faster , rolling road b4 map 189.6 bhp .where have 20 horses run off to ffsshould be (210)
After map 222bhp and 100 extra torque which they told me is good as it's all about the torque ??? What u guys think and don't just tell me I should have gone to gus !!

Last edited by daveo1; 01-05-15 at 20:49. Reason: Changes
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
24k miles.... Is the engine even run in? Not sure but I've been told that around 40k the engine will free up, be smoother and faster - could that be your 20 horses?
AO Member

County: Essex
Who knows as clarkson says horses seem to just run away . Was it ever 210 bhp from factory ?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo1 View Post
After map 222bhp and 100 extra torque which they told me is good as it's all about the torque ??? What u guys think and don't just tell me I should have gone to gus !!
If you can notice a difference and your happy with it then does it matter?

I got quoted +34 horses and +50 Torques

I have no idea if that is what I got but it feels like it (It's sooooo much quicker)

So I'm over the moon.

I've heard that it is all about the torque as well and have no reason to doubt it so if you have 100 more of them you must be able to notice a big improvement in performance.

If you can't tell the difference (easily, not just sitting there wondering if it is actually better than it was) then I'd say take it back and ask them to look at it again.

Axe.
AO Member

Garage
Those of you who've had the DPF hollowed out/removed, what happens at MOT time? I read that the latest test can tell whether the filter is still in situ.

If I were to have just the EGR blanked and a remap, but leave the DPF in place would I still notice good gains?
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_Clanger View Post
Those of you who've had the DPF hollowed out/removed, what happens at MOT time? I read that the latest test can tell whether the filter is still in situ.

If I were to have just the EGR blanked and a remap, but leave the DPF in place would I still notice good gains?
DPF is cored out so it is still on the car... the visual test on the mot passes as it's still obviously on the car.
Bruce100 likes this.
AO Member

County: Devon
I'd suggest getting it done without touching dpf if you're doing mainly medium to long journeys, hence dpf shouldn't be an issue. Also, it can lead to a bit of smoking if it's had the Dpf off too.
Just had mine done by celtic tuning (who write their own maps and many of them are alfa owners) and feels like a better car. Smooth power from standstill and it just keeps on coming. Not even a hint of smoke.
Really did leave a few bmws in my rear view mirror when I had a play on drive back to Devon from London.
Get it done, it transforms the car. Cost me 295 which I'll make back in a year on fuel savings.
Major_Clanger likes this.
AO Member

County: hampshire
Garage
Had a map plus dpf gutted went for mot (which it passed with flying colours), needed to get it hot on the way so gave it a good thrashing down the dual carrigeways looked like it hit 140mph on a private stretch.
Also had a bmw m3 orange colour 2 door coupe in front i wanted to test performance as I passed driver looked a bit surprised.
No idea what power i have but it feels very quick.

**Have been informed I have approx 195/200 hp= 365/70 nm
so I'm guessing the bm was holding back to see what was passing.
Novelty is wearing off a bit so hopefully see some gains in economy

Last edited by Bruce100; 12-10-15 at 20:44.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivern View Post
DPF is cored out so it is still on the car... the visual test on the mot passes as it's still obviously on the car.
Mine passed with flying colours . Dpf gutted egr blanked., oil catch can which is working well and sports remap.
AO Member

Your car and engine: 159SW , 2.0 jtdm
Price paid: Very competitive, As a return customer I got a discount.
Gains: loads more smooth acceleration, MUCH more power !!!, just under 5% better MPG
Problems:Non, No Smoke. There was an issue with an Check engine light which was showing EGR excess flow (the EGR had been switched off in the map but not blanked) Scott edited the map to get rid of the code.

Really happy with V12 (again) the car is a different animal now. :-)
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_Clanger View Post

Had mine removed and it's passed the last two MoT's no problem.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Abyss View Post
Name of company: AHM
Your car and engine: 2008 159 1.9 JTDM Ti
Work done: DPF removal, EGR blank, remap, oil and filter change
Price paid: 805
Gains: Complete removal of asthmatic car frustration. Joking aside, AHM estimate BHP to now be around 200
Problems: None
Overall experience: I'll quote from the original thread I made when I had it done - http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ed-by-ahm.html

I had my 159 Ti over at AHM on Friday, and thought I'd share the experience with everyone here just as a few others have done already.

I dropped it over on Friday morning at 9 am, and met Aidie who took all the details and checked the work to be done. I also asked him if he'd change the ol and filer while it was on the ramps and had the under tray off (I've only had the car a few weeks and thought it worthwhile as I'd heard that it isn't always changed on a dealer service).

4 hours later and it was all done. EGR bypassed, DPF removed and remap applied. The under tray fixings at the rear had worked loose and so AHM replaced all them too. I took the DPF away at their suggestion - I suppose it can always be put back on in the future for whatever reason (selling on maybe) and AHM said they cost about 1,500 to replace.

First impressions? Wow, a massive, massive difference. Firstly it sounds a little different. A little smoother, but with more of a rumble below 2,000 rpm. The smoothness could well be the oil change or merely a placebo effect.

The performance however is day from night. AHM reckon that on an engine of my age (2008, 43,000 miles) it should now be around 200 to 208 bhp. It certainly feels like it. The BMW 325 it replaced put out 217 bhp and it feels a lot closer, although the power delivery on a turbo diesel is of course very different.

There's more power available lower down now, below 2,000 rpm, and the turbo seems to spool from lower too. It sounds a little more audible too with it's whistling. From 2,000 rpm the power really delivers at quite a rate now and runs smoothly up to 4,000 rpm where it falls away. This has advantages and disadvantages, mainly due to the gearing and also due to the characteristics of a modern turbo diesel. In first and second gear, the power and torque feels almost too much - there's a rush of power and then you're reaching for the gearstick as you run out of revs too quickly. Where the improved power really comes into it's own is third gear and above. The in gear acceleration is far more usable now, and sixth gear can be held at speeds down to as low as 50 mph without really needing to change down.

Like others I've noticed that the car computer mpg is suddenly much improved. I'm was halfway through a tank, averaging 33 mpg and a a quarter of a tank later I'm already up to just over 40 mpg on just mixed driving. I'll need to run a full tank through to really judge, but I've now covered 440 miles on this tank with just over a quarter remaining. 600 miles on one fill up certainly now looks to be within easy reach.

The total cost was just over 800 - 720 is the base work and the remainder was for the oil change and fixing the under tray. If I was doing it for economy reasons alone, I wouldn't have bothered. There always seems to be someone on an Internet forum who could gleefully tell me that I'll have to fill it up 68 times or something to break even. However, for the change in driving dynamics alone it is worthwhile, and an investment I was happy to make. It transforms the 159 into the driving experience it probably should have had from the outset.

A final word on AHM - great, professional outfit. There were some lovely classic Alfas there (not to mention a decent Ferrari!) and they seem to really know their stuff and are very helpful. Well worth the 2 1/2 hour drive from Ipswich.

UPDATE SEVERAL MONTHS LATER

No issues have developed - all still great. I'm now on 49,000 miles so I'm 6,000 miles in now.

I did a long run a few weeks ago down to Bath and back and then down to Brighton and back, and cracked the 700 miles on one tank

If I hadn't have had this done I would have sold the car some time ago.
Agree 100%, I have a powerflow remap , dpf gutted and egr blanked, car is a completely different animal and I had to learn how to get the best from it.
Tend to get up into 3rd and 4th quickly as these give a less stress feel to the gearbox etc.
I too was thinking of going back to petrol soon but will now keep the derv a couple of years more.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Thumbs Up Remap

2008 159 2.4jtdm ti
Power flow York
Full turbo back system dpf/egr blank and remap
Conservative estimates say 40hp and around 50/60 lbft of torques but have also added a high flow induction system so true gains unknown as yet to rolling road. Also finding about 5-10% improvement in mpg
Car feels so much better smokes a bit on start up and under heavy load but passed mot with flying colours. Passes the visual test as when replacing exhaust dpf was replaced with a hollow dummy rather than being cored out so all blends in.

County: Gwynedd
Name of company: Alfatune
Your car and engine: 159 Ti 2.4 210
Work done: EGR and DPF delete, Remap & new inlet manifold.
Gains: Much, much smoother. More economical (up to 46 on a run). Absolute mountain of torque. Less laggy.
Problems: Highlighted that I will need a clutch in the not too distant future. Planting the pedal is quite addictive now.
Overall experience: Very happy with the service. Gus is great to deal with, left the car there one evening and he gave me a lift to the train station and likewise on collection. Thoroughly explained the best course of action for what I needed from the car. Overall a great service and brilliant guy to deal with.
matty74 likes this.
AO Member

County: Leicestershire
I'm starting to consider a remap on my 2011 2.0jtdm. I'm comfortable with the remap but I'd prefer to leave the EGR and DPF as it is, for MOT and regulations reasons.

I have never had any EGR/DPF problems yet with my car, my journeys are long enough to always give it time to regen when it needs to and constant cruising should leave my EGR quite clean. I'm nearing 55k miles now, and performance is solid.

I've read around on the forum, lots of talk about altering both but not much talk about leaving EGR and DPF untouched while doing the map. Can I ask for peoples opinions on this? Pros/Cons?
AO Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Tank88 View Post
I'm starting to consider a remap on my 2011 2.0jtdm. I'm comfortable with the remap but I'd prefer to leave the EGR and DPF as it is, for MOT and regulations reasons.

I have never had any EGR/DPF problems yet with my car, my journeys are long enough to always give it time to regen when it needs to and constant cruising should leave my EGR quite clean. I'm nearing 55k miles now, and performance is solid.

I've read around on the forum, lots of talk about altering both but not much talk about leaving EGR and DPF untouched while doing the map. Can I ask for peoples opinions on this? Pros/Cons?
I've left my DPF in place- had no issues thus far.
EGR I was advised to map out as regardless it seems to gunk up the inlet manifold (and I note the car had had two egrs in it's lifetime).
Car is noticeably better, even leaving the DPF in place. When I say noticeably, it's a completely different car now (in a good way).
AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire
My 159 ti 2.4 was remapped by Adie Hawkins and the EGR removed/blanked , DPF gutted from the top . BHP is around 260 and torque is massive . MOT smoke test last time after two years since the work was 0.14 . Having said that , I use only Shell V Power Nitro diesel and do an oil service every 6 to 8 thousand miles , using only Millers 5w40 race nanotech . There's also a small oil catch can which I fitted , copied from Jay's mod's some time ago.
Every couple of months I use 210mls of RHINO in a tank of diesel . That's it , and the car is like sh --- t off a shovel and no mot issues.
matty74 and goram like this.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Tank88 View Post

You really want to blank out your EGR, it won't impact your MOT and will do your engine a world of good.
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfadisiac View Post
Name of company: MotorMech

Your car and engine: 1.9 JTDm 159

Work done: DPF hollowed out EGR delete

Price paid: 360

Gains: Claimed 182bhp & 390FtLbs

Problems: EGR was not deleted from ECU. car started juddering like it did when my EGR was clogged. Checked on FES and EGR status was active and 43% open at time of checking.
Phoned MotorMech, told of my problem, advised to try a blanking plate. This resulted in EML coming on. Several phone calls later and a trip to a different company who use Top Gear tuning and EGR fault gone.
Hollowed DPF made awful sound so got a DPF bypass pipe made up by my brother in work (Should have done 1st so could keep working DPF) and fitted.
On cold starts she sounds bl**dy awful, but is fine once warmed up! Only since remap...
Now have a noticeable step in power at 1900rpm, but overall she runs smoother...

Overall experience: friendly service. Great excuse to get car done for the wife is it was right next to the bull ring. 2 mins walk!
this do not sound good?i was thinking of going to motermech as they had done a lot of work on my car ?
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanAxe View Post
Your car and engine: 159SW , 2.0 jtdm
Price paid: Very competitive, As a return customer I got a discount.
Gains: loads more smooth acceleration, MUCH more power !!!, just under 5% better MPG
Problems:Non, No Smoke. There was an issue with an Check engine light which was showing EGR excess flow (the EGR had been switched off in the map but not blanked) Scott edited the map to get rid of the code.

Really happy with V12 (again) the car is a different animal now. :-)
thinking of going to this place as seems decent as writes its own maps to?
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean lochlin View Post
thinking of going to this place as seems decent as writes its own maps to?
hmmm not far from me

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
definitive , delete , diesel , egr or dpf , remap , thread