The definitive diesel remap, EGR/DPF delete thread - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

AO Member

County: -
Certainly not going to run out and drop £700 on a second hand car that's done 95k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAlfisti View Post
Vectra vxr what an awsome machine!
A very special car, and I miss it sooo much for many reasons....
AO Member

County: Alytus
Name of company: 1nsane
Your car and engine: 159 2.0 JTDM
Work done: DPF honey comb cut out (EOM look), EGR closed, remap
Price paid: 240€
Gains: 143kW, 413Nm
Problems: Zero
Overall experience: improved low down torque, improved mileage (~1Ltr/100km less), nice sound at higher revs too (noticed by colleagues)

AO Member

County: Zürich
k
LukeyC

Name of company: Angel Tuning
Your car and engine: 159 2.4 JTDM Ti
Work done: EGR blank, DPF "treatment" & remap
Price paid: £375
Gains: now around 250bhp, unknown torque. Amazingly responsive, smooth, very little turbo lag, no smoke, incredible drivable
Problems: None.
Overall experience: Excellent - very knowledagble over the phone, have free wifi, gave me a courtesy car, free coffee, friendly staff that take the time to explain everything to you. Perfect service all round.

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, I'm almost 100% committed to joining the rest of you in owning a delightful brera. I've been looking around this thread and it seems the remap, dpf removal and egr delete is way to go to get the car to live up to its potential. I have two questions: how do you get around the fact that the not requires a dpf to be present if the car was originally built with one? how much does the mod affect the insurance or is this something that needs to be declared?

Thanks
Club Member

County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownacid View Post
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, I'm almost 100% committed to joining the rest of you in owning a delightful brera. I've been looking around this thread and it seems the remap, dpf removal and egr delete is way to go to get the car to live up to its potential. I have two questions: how do you get around the fact that the not requires a dpf to be present if the car was originally built with one? how much does the mod affect the insurance or is this something that needs to be declared?

Thanks
It will fail the MOT if the tester knows that a DPF should be present and can't see one. Some cars have passed without one fitted purely because the tester is unaware it should have one.

If you decide to remove the DPF then in my opinion, the safest thing to do with regard to MOTs is to take the DPF assembly off the car, cut open the casing, remove the filter element from inside (and optionally the cat too, they share the same casing) and then weld it back together and refit the empty DPF casing to the car. Then, an MOT tester will not be able to say for certain that the DPF has been removed, even if the welding looks suspect the most they can do is pass & advise.

Plenty of stuff on the internet about the insurance situation. Back in my days of running modified cars I never bothered declaring anything.
AO Member

County: West Sussex
Booked in to have a remap for my 159 2.0 jtdm on the 22nd September at Monza motor sports in West Sussex. Will update the thread then but has anyone else used monza for a remap?

They are doing my 84000 service with the cambelt/water pump replacement at my request . I'm only on 60000 miles but worried about either of those parts breaking in the next few years having read a few posts on here!
AO Member

Name of company: Angel Tuning
Your car and engine: 159 1.9 JTDM Ti
Work done: EGR blank, DPF "internal re-modelling" & remap
Price paid: £350
Gains: now around 200bhp and 300lbs/ft.
Amazingly responsive, smooth, very little turbo lag, very little smoke (could just be remnants from DPF blowing out), incredibly drivable - especially at Motorway speeds. Fuel computer is showing 10%+ improvement too.
Problems: None.
Overall experience: Excellent - very knowledgeable over the phone, spent a long time explaining everything. Courtesy car was a pleasant surprise. I had a small Service at teh same time and new front brakes fitted. Very pleased - not to mention day 2 of ownership
It really had transformed the car.
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Good to see Angel getting some much deserved praise. I'm lazy so my experience is the same as Gary H2
AO Member

County: West Sussex
Just back from Monza. No print out and conservative figures mentioned suggest 195 bhp with approx 15% increases in torque and fuel consumption. As I've had the cambelt and water pump replaced at the same time so haven't had a chance to open it up yet but having driven it 40 miles home, it already feels like a different car. The consumption is much better and well into the 50's whilst the throttle response is instantaneous and smooth throughout the revs.
Good customer service and very knowledgeable. On a side note, just went with a relative to buy a giulietta QV from allams alfa in Epsom (very nice and a huge improvement on the original) the sales guy there who I have known for years was also singing monza's praises which is always a good sign amongst alfisti!

8 Alfas in... 156 2.0 jts veloce. GT 2.0 JTS Lusso. 159 2.2 Ti. 147 1.6 ts Lusso. 156 2.0 jts veloce. 159 2.4 jtdm (210) Lusso. 159 2.0 jtdm Lusso sport. Giulietta (2016) veloce
AO Silver Member

County: Bratislavsky
Name of company: AlfaTuning.sk
Your car and engine: 159 2.0 JTDm Ti 2010
Work done: EGR blank, DPF removed and replaced with Ragazzon stainless pipe (exact fit with all the lambda bosses and holders)
Price paid: 300 EUR + 320 EUR for Ragazzon
Gains: no DYNO
Problems: None so far

Tuning was done without a chance to test it on the brake, only test drives. However the car feels much much more willing to rev from approximately 1.500 and throttle response is a lot sharper than it was before. Feels much more agile and willing to go which was the reason of a slightly higher consumption on the way back (only computer readout, so far did not have the chance to check brim to brim).

Anyway I would recommend them to anyone else in the region as well. A small garage but very knowledgeable mechanic and programmer. An A grade service which is still not that common to get in Slovakia.

AR 166 3.2 TI
AR 159 SW TI - 2.0 JTD
AR 156 GTA Q2
AR 145 QV
AO Member

County: Hlavní město Praha
Hi yetyGT,

I'm in Prague with my 2.4 JTdM SW and definitely considering an egr delete and dpf removal...would also consider chip tuning. Would appreciate an update after the work you had done as well as conditions you drive in e.g. i'm in the city so daily short run to work etc.. there is a place in Prague but they seem unsure about whether they have the correct software but sounds like these guys at alfatuning.sk know their stuff. How long did the work take?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tariqun View Post
Hi yetyGT,

I'm in Prague with my 2.4 JTdM SW and definitely considering an egr delete and dpf removal...would also consider chip tuning. Would appreciate an update after the work you had done as well as conditions you drive in e.g. i'm in the city so daily short run to work etc.. there is a place in Prague but they seem unsure about whether they have the correct software but sounds like these guys at alfatuning.sk know their stuff. How long did the work take?
Hello tarigun

alfatuning.sk is really one of the most reputable. They really know the stuff. Moreover another member of this forum - Gotcha http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/members/gotcha.html was there a month ago with his 159 2.4 200 bhp automatic to do all of the modifications and very happy with it. Send him a message.

It took them three hours to finish mine. However it is much easier with the 2.4 as the DPF is simple to access from the bottom as well as the EGR. So I guess 1.5 hour.
AO Member

County: hampshire
Garage
Had egr, dpf hollowed and deleted and sports remap, also fitted my stainless steel dpf back exhaust with twin exit no silencers.
The car does not sound noticibly different, a little growl maybe but definitely smoother power delivery , this is how the car should have been from the factory, worth doing, cost me for dpf and remap and fitting my exhaust £350.
Now confident to overtake pretty much anything without too much drama.
Got a discount because a mechanic friend recommended them.
Normally £495 just for dpf delete and map. 09/09/15
Transformed car, wish id done this sooner.

Last edited by Bruce100; 09-09-15 at 19:58.
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce100 View Post
Garages are in business to make money, I think £800 for less than a days work and a few small parts bought at trade price is a bit steep, you have to be a complete enthusiast to spend that kind of money for a few gains.
Some of these jobs are not that difficult for a competent diy person.
Id think upto £350 is as much as id think was reasonable for these gains...just a non serious view...
Agreed
AO Silver Member

I don't really understand which price is Bruce commenting. However I don't think 300 EUR for the remap and service job around is overpriced. It's not cheap but definitely nothing that would not be worth the upgrade.

What made my modification more expensive it the DPF replacement part which is way much more complicated shape than the simple tube 1.9 and 2.4 have. So let's not compare that.
AO Member

I've just had a chat with the dealer who supplied my current car, it's a Mercedes of course, but what he said may well apply to Alfas. Some years ago I had a 159 1.9, and I got it improved with a mild remap. When Alfa stopped making 159s with no replacement in sight, I bought a C Class Mercedes, wanting a bit more oomph, I had it remapped by Angeltune, and was pleased with the resulting improvement. For geographical reasons I always had the car serviced by an independent, even though the thing was new and under MB warranty, but this didn't cause any problems. I replaced that Mercedes with a new C250 AMG Coupé a few months ago, and took it to a proper MB dealer today for attention to a couple of minor warranty problems. One of these was engine-related, and the dealer told me that as a matter of course, they update engine software on everything that enters their workshops. My C250 has more than enough performance for me, so I haven't considered a remap this time, but according to the MB dealer, anything I'd had done would be wiped by their software update. I'm aware of course that many on here no longer use franchised Alfa dealers, but if their practices are similar to Mercedes, owners could be wasting their money on remaps, have any owners of 'improved' cars still using franchised Alfa dealers had problems? I always had my 159 serviced by supplying dealer Meridian Bournemouth, I never told them I'd had a remap on the car, and I don't think they guessed, it wasn't that apparent at lower speeds.
AO Member

County: Bristol
Hi all,

I'm looking to get my 2.4 Brera remapped. Is it worth getting the dpf removed at the same time? Also, can anyone recommend a good place to go? Live near Bristol but don't mind travelling if its worth it...
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble93 View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking to get my 2.4 Brera remapped. Is it worth getting the dpf removed at the same time? Also, can anyone recommend a good place to go? Live near Bristol but don't mind travelling if its worth it...
I'd say removing the horribly placed DPF and blanking EGR non sense is the reason why most of the people do the remap afterwards.

So my answer is YES. Definitely do both.
AO Member

County: Victoria
What about the swirl flaps?
AO Member

County: Bristol
Just booked myself in to have full stage 2 work and remap. Includes, EGR blank/delete, DPF removal with new part fitted to avoid MOT issues and a remap, £700 seem a fair price?
AO Member

Just booked in with alfatuning.sk for this Saturday.. going for 250 euro remap, 30 euro dpf removal and 20 euro egr blank so total of 300 euros to get the 2.4 jTdm I always wanted.. With a 4 hour journey each way I should notice the results soon enough.. will keep you posted...
AO Member

County: Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayem View Post
I've just had a chat with the dealer who supplied my current car, it's a Mercedes of course, but what he said may well apply to Alfas. Some years ago I had a 159 1.9, and I got it improved with a mild remap. When Alfa stopped making 159s with no replacement in sight, I bought a C Class Mercedes, wanting a bit more oomph, I had it remapped by Angeltune, and was pleased with the resulting improvement. For geographical reasons I always had the car serviced by an independent, even though the thing was new and under MB warranty, but this didn't cause any problems. I replaced that Mercedes with a new C250 AMG Coupé a few months ago, and took it to a proper MB dealer today for attention to a couple of minor warranty problems. One of these was engine-related, and the dealer told me that as a matter of course, they update engine software on everything that enters their workshops. My C250 has more than enough performance for me, so I haven't considered a remap this time, but according to the MB dealer, anything I'd had done would be wiped by their software update. I'm aware of course that many on here no longer use franchised Alfa dealers, but if their practices are similar to Mercedes, owners could be wasting their money on remaps, have any owners of 'improved' cars still using franchised Alfa dealers had problems? I always had my 159 serviced by supplying dealer Meridian Bournemouth, I never told them I'd had a remap on the car, and I don't think they guessed, it wasn't that apparent at lower speeds.
Being a newbie I had wondered what happens if you want to revert to OEM spec. So in the event of a future sale of ones car am I correct in saying that if you have a remap (or performance tune) carried out then it is a simple matter of having the ECU flashed with standard software from dealer or indie mechanic?
AO Member

Blanking egr, removing dpf and new mapware

Quote:
Originally Posted by tariqun View Post
Just booked in with alfatuning.sk for this Saturday.. going for 250 euro remap, 30 euro dpf removal and 20 euro egr blank so total of 300 euros to get the 2.4 jTdm I always wanted.. With a 4 hour journey each way I should notice the results soon enough.. will keep you posted...
Gents.... 4 hour drive to Slovakia on Friday evening with car stuttering out of Prague at the usual 1750-2000 rpm - settled down on the motorway and no problems rest of way on mixed roads - top consumption 7.6l / 100km - stayed overnight in Trencin in a lovely hotel on the slope of the castle.

Next morning, travelled 30 mins to Ilava and found 2 garage shells on the grounds of a hospital. First impressions were not promising but met Peter, the boss, who luckily spoke some English. The two young lads in the garage had been working already on two other 159 saloons from the Czech Republic that morning. Waited 15 mins and then drove my car in and one of the young lads disappeared into the hole in the ground and started removing the dpf. Once removed (about 10 mins) him and his mate took the dpf outside and drilled into one end with the longest drill piece I've ever seen and then with a metal spike hammered into one end and turned it upside down for the dpf filter bits to fall out along with the soot - they did the same to the other end too - really brutal but effective!

Meanwhile, Peter hooked up his laptop to the drivers side usb connector and discovered that my mapware was apparently quite rare/unusual (perhaps because it came from Italy!?) and leaving it hooked up stated it'd be an hour or so to upload the new mapware, I think! He offered to take us to a cafe in town whilst he went home and I agreed as my girlfriend didn't fancy hanging around with the spitting rain coming down.

After an hour I was walking back towards the garage to find Peter already test driving my car, which he stated now had something like 35 more bhp and 100n/m torque. Interestingly, he mentioned the 2.4 jtdm actually only has 191 bhp and not the stated 200 bhp, so my car now has 224 bhp? and certainly felt it when accelerating. Personally, I was gutted not to see the egr being blanked - don't even know which type of plate they used. Paid my 300 Euros cash, got a receipt and that was that - picked up my girlfriend and started on the 4 hour trip home.

Results - Wow! - Feels like a new car - no hesitation, no stuttering, no revving when idling, improved consumption 7.4 l/ 100 km at end but did go down to 6.8 at one stage, but I was hitting 150 km/h at times on the motorway and with some country roads too when leaving Slovakia thanks to my satnav. Definitely more umph in the lower ranges and picks up speed alarmingly quick when pressing the accelerator. Didn't notice any smoke or soot in the rear mirror.

Celebrated today by washing, waxing and cleaning the car inside and out with the Auto Glym. Alfatuning.sk put a couple of 'ferrari style' alfa snake logo badges in yellow on both sides under the side indicators, which look the business on my grigio grey body. Also a strip of advertising on the rear number plate. A nice touch.

So, in conclusion - just get it done! I realise it's only been a couple of days but my car does feel new in almost every way - almost silent when standing at lights. I ran out of light today but will also clean my map sensor to see if that makes any additional difference.

Can't recommend alfatuning.sk enough if you're in the region and can't complain about the 300 euro price for an hour and a half's work considering the results. My only regret is not being present to see all the work done and asking more questions as I was interested not because I doubt their integrity.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
definitive , delete , diesel , egr or dpf , remap , thread