The definitive diesel remap, EGR/DPF delete thread - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

AO Member

County: Devon
Has anyone used the Dpf removal/Egr delete service offered by Veloces ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire
ANGEL TUNING
BANBURY
Alfa 159 2.4 JTDM ti 210 bhp
DPF emptied/re-welded at the top , EGR delete and re-map
250 BHP 355 LBFT not verified BUT FEELS AWESOME !!!
Dash mpg reads higher than actual now (4.17 mpg plus) Otherwise NONE
The experience was easy and quite fast at 3 hours , the main time being to remove the DPF , cut open the top , empty and reweld then re-fit the exhaust.(very neat job) I was given the opportunity to test the result before paying , so drove away from the site onto a decent wide road to give it some beans . The lack of any hesitation at all speeds and gears was impressive , making it a much easier and nicer car to drive . Performance was outstanding compaired to my drive up to Banbury , once you'd moved from second carefully(Avoiding spin and tramping) and up to 3rd the accelleration was a huge improvement . Overtaking several cars at a go was so much safer and I had to kerb my enjoyment having glanced down at the speedo to notice where the needle was pointing ---- what !!!
It doesn't smoke , either at speed or idling , perhaps just a little white smoke on very cold start-up. Economy has improved by 12% on long runs and 5% running around locally on silly little 2 to 10 mile outings.
Nice people to deal with and clean comfy lounge to wait in while drinking their coffee.
VERY HAPPY .
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Jag XE on order

I have just returned from Angel Tuning Banbury

Cost 330.00 (i think this is a January offer only)

I am very pleased, prior to going I have done a lot work making sure all the intake, throttle body, egr and map sensor was cleaned out not to mention just having had a full service and filling up with BP Ultimate and adding some wynns injector/engine cleaner to the tank of fuel and I can honestly say she pulled like a train all the way to Banbury, The drive home on the other hand was nothing short of incredible, it still amazes me how good this car and engine is.

As for Angel, top marks Great customer service and a fantastic remap

AO Silver Member

They contacted me in beginning of December offering the 330 deal right through to the end of January 2013 , so two months in all . I originally contacted them for info plus a costing but left it as couldn't afford the 430 normal price mentioned in October 2012.
AO Member

County: Warwickshire
What are the common problems with remapping and anyone seen any problems witht he 2.4JTD 1 or more years down the line?

This is a great forum, initially I was looking just to get it remapped.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handful View Post
Name of company: Motormech
Your car and engine: 159 1.9 JTDM
Work done: Dpf removal, EGR delete and replace
Price paid: 380 for the Dpf and EGR delete (20 would have been for cleaning it) + 150 for replacement EGR valve as mine was shot.
Gains: Smooth power delivery across the full range and no more stuttering or problems starting. Early days though as only had it done on Saturday. I had only been averaging around 36-37mpg at best for a while before and I got 42mpg for the journey home according to the comp which is usually very acccurate for me. It was a nice motorway journey though so again too early to tell with any accuracy. I will update after a few more fuelly entries!
Problems: Possibly a bit noisier on start up than before, no smoking issues that I can see myself anyway! Only real negative was having to pay 150 more than I thought due to the faulty EGR valve but I don't blame them for that, I have no reason to suspect any foul play there.

Overall very happy with Motormech so far, they were responsive, courteous and did exactly as they said they would so for now I'm more than satisfied with my experience. Paul spent time explaining what he had done and confirmed they use the Top Gear Tuning map after having some 'aftersales issues' with Angel. No doubt I could have got more power/ mpg etc going elsewhere for more money but I don't regret choosing the cheaper option, it's like having a new car.

Why did you need to replace the EGR valve if you were getting a bypass/delete?
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Just came across this outfit, no idea if they are any good or not, but they seem to have done a 159 2.4 at least.

DPF Bypass + EGR Delete + remap to 250Bhp for 235

Derv Doctor
Gauledge Farm, SK170QZ Buxton
01298 83816
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_The_Spider View Post
Why did you need to replace the EGR valve if you were getting a bypass/delete?
I wasn't ware of this deletion option at the time.

I car insruance goes up quite a bit if I get this change donw though, any tips to reduce it or good insurance companies?
AO Member

County: Leicestershire
ANGEL TUNING
BANBURY
Alfa 159 2.4 JTDM Lusso Qtronic
DPF emptied/re-welded at the top , EGR delete and re-map
Not sure what the BHP is now but its noticiably more aggressive
MPG on the drive back home was over 10mpg greater than on the way there (Although I've read not to take too much notice of the display after a remap) Was only done yesterday so still to see how it gets on with local runs.

VERY pleased with the results. Feels like a different car! Pulls a lot smoother and balanced. Everything seems that bit sharper and less restricted or choked. The increase in power is unmistakable, had a lot of fun on the 45min drive back home ha! As for smoke I've not noticed any yet. Certainly didnt see any on my drive home, then this morning I started it up first thing from cold expecting to see a bit of black smoke, but again there was nothing. The smoke wouldn't bother me anyway ("its behind youuu" he shouts in a silly pantomine voice) but its an added bonus that so far theres been none.

As for Angel Tuning I think they are a top outfit. Steve who did the work on my car was a nice guy, very knowledgeable and happy to talk you through things. I had a service recently with a different company and they hadn't reset the "change oil" warning.. asked Steve if he would reset it for me and he said no problem at all! Top bloke! Was impressed with the neatness and speed of the work done, and their reception is nice to chill out in using their free WIFI whilst having tea or coffee made for you by the easy on the eye receptionist ;-)

Would definitely recommend! Very pleased!
Lucky Lui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_The_Spider View Post
I wasn't ware of this deletion option at the time.

I car insruance goes up quite a bit if I get this change donw though, any tips to reduce it or good insurance companies?
Chris Knott only charged me 60 extra with DPF/EGR and remap

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Alfa 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Just came across this outfit, no idea if they are any good or not, but they seem to have done a 159 2.4 at least.

DPF Bypass + EGR Delete + remap to 250Bhp for 235

Derv Doctor
Gauledge Farm, SK170QZ Buxton
01298 83816
These have good reviews but couldn't get a price of 235 was this a special promotion? Although 450 quoted still seems very reasonable
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1760
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lui View Post
Chris Knott only charged me 60 extra with DPF/EGR and remap
Mine is booked into Alfatune at the end of the month and the quote from Esure was about 120 plus admin fee.
AO Silver Member

Can't remember who asked the increase in insurance question --- however , my original insurer had no ability to insure me afterwards , so tried Chris Knott , Flux and Greenlight . CK was over 100 more than standard , Flux better at 30 more but Greenlight got my business at 20 less than my previous standard cost , total with Greenlight 368-50p !!!
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

I have been offered to remove DPF and delete EGR with remap on 1.9 for 150 EUR in Serbia. Their procedure is the following:
1. If EGR is fine, not sticking, just delete it in software and leave it in place as it is;
2. Take out everything from DPF and weld it back in place, so DPF becomes completely hollow. Delete it in software and there will be no more regens;
3. Do their remap.

They said that only there will be a slight changes in the exhaust sound, like sometimes it can sound like a jet engine because of the turbo but not so noticeable.

What do you think about this procedure? I think they are the only ones that do this kind of things in Serbia and they did huge number of various cars.

Please advise.

Many thanks.
AO Member

Member car:

159 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMsport View Post
Can't remember who asked the increase in insurance question --- however , my original insurer had no ability to insure me afterwards , so tried Chris Knott , Flux and Greenlight . CK was over 100 more than standard , Flux better at 30 more but Greenlight got my business at 20 less than my previous standard cost , total with Greenlight 368-50p !!!
Sorry for highjacking this thread even further, but out of interest I contact Greenlight as I'm thinking of the usual EGR/DPF/Remap route myself. They quoted 50 LESS than my current insurer

makes it very appealing...they don't actually do unmodded cars though...
AO Member

County: Kent
Name of company: AHM
Your car and engine: Alfa 159 2.4 JTDm
Work done: Remap, DPF removal & EGR delete
Price paid: 700
Gains: 50 BHP
Problems: None
Overall experience: Excellent. Car much smoother and quicker. Had it done 2 years and 17K miles ago. Still on original clutch. No problems at all.
AO Member

Name of company: Angel Tuning
[Location: Banbury
Your car and engine: 2007 Alfa Romeo Spider
Work done: Remap, egr deactivted and DPF removed
Price paid: 330
Gains: Approx. 50BHP
Problems: Thankfully none as of yet, slightly smokey on start then before.
Overall experience: When I was looking to get a remap I didn't know what I was getting myself into and I read loads of horror stories as most of us have read I am sure. The gentlemen at Angel Tuning was very reasurring and was able to answer all my techincal questions he even draw diagrams to answer my questions, explained what was going to be done and more importantly was very honest. I also thought remapping was a young persons game but on my arrival I was speaking to a middle age couple who were getting their camper van remapped and already had their family car done with no regrets a few years previously.

While I was waiting he showed me around the place for the whole 2/3 hours while the car was being worked on and I LOVED IT! It was like Jensen museum (amoung many other interesting cars) and if you like retro or unique cars then you will also love this place. This made missing a mornings pay a lot easier If this isn't your cup of tea they have free wfi. During my tour we did pop over to the workshop where my car was and he was showing me things which indicated my car engine was in good working order. I honestly feel they care about their work and service unlike other small garages I have been to.

Once the work was complete he let me test drive the car before I paid and I was amazed of the difference it made!

I would recommend Angel Tuning to anyone if they were semi local to you and have interet in Jensens. I honestly was worried and a month on no problems (A little more smoke then before on start up), slight increase in MPG, big increase in performance and no clutch problems. I am not a brown noser but I give credit where credit is due and if you track my paper trail on here you know I always lean on the side of caution.

Keys things to know:
- You do need a working EGR valve before hand because the car still looks for a signal from the part
- It is located in a beautiful place in the country, lots is small twisting roads
- Angel Tuning do have a lot of written appraisals
- Bisto retail park is near if you want to borrow a car (free of charge) and fancy some shopping while you wait you can

I would 100% recommend a remap and the work done for anyone!
AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
Garage
Name of company: MotorMech

Your car and engine: 1.9 JTDm 159

Work done: DPF hollowed out EGR delete

Price paid: 360

Gains: Claimed 182bhp & 390FtLbs

Problems: EGR was not deleted from ECU. car started juddering like it did when my EGR was clogged. Checked on FES and EGR status was active and 43% open at time of checking.
Phoned MotorMech, told of my problem, advised to try a blanking plate. This resulted in EML coming on. Several phone calls later and a trip to a different company who use Top Gear tuning and EGR fault gone.
Hollowed DPF made awful sound so got a DPF bypass pipe made up by my brother in work (Should have done 1st so could keep working DPF) and fitted.
On cold starts she sounds bl**dy awful, but is fine once warmed up! Only since remap...
Now have a noticeable step in power at 1900rpm, but overall she runs smoother...

Overall experience: friendly service. Great excuse to get car done for the wife is it was right next to the bull ring. 2 mins walk!

Alfas don't break down..... They stop to be admired

Alfas don't leak oil.... They are marking their territory

Last edited by Alfadisiac; 04-04-13 at 16:44.

County: Aberdeen

Member car:

159 2.4jtdm

I spoke to McLennans this week and they were happy to talk me through the procedures and the benefits. I was quoted 350+vat for the EGR blank off, and a further 600+vat for the DPF removal, including a full remap. So 1140!

Was a bit surprised at the expense when Angel seem to do the same for 350.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AberdeenAlfa View Post
I spoke to McLennans this week and they were happy to talk me through the procedures and the benefits. I was quoted 350+vat for the EGR blank off, and a further 600+vat for the DPF removal, including a full remap. So 1140!

That doesn't sound right to me 350 for an egr delete , 10 min job .

i would think the 600 +vat was for the complete job ,

Just had mine done at AHM

600.+vat for the egr delete /dpf removal +remap

Different car now , gone is the judder i had at 1500 -2000 rpm , pulls so much better through the gears , really smooth effortless power .

Had air/oil and filters done at the same time ,which i was going to do myself but had the dreaded stuck fast undertray bolts so i knew it was going to be a pita to do , dropped car at 9.00am and was told it would take approx 3 hours , got the call ,all done at 12.03 pm .

Great service and i would recommend anyone to have it done .
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AberdeenAlfa View Post

That doesn't sound right to me 350 for an egr delete , 10 min job .

i would think the 600 +vat was for the complete job ,

Just had mine done at AHM

600.+vat for the egr delete /dpf removal +remap

Different car now , gone is the judder i had at 1500 -2000 rpm , pulls so much better through the gears , really smooth effortless power .

Had air/oil and filters done at the same time ,which i was going to do myself but had the dreaded stuck fast undertray bolts so i knew it was going to be a pita to do , dropped car at 9.00am and was told it would take approx 3 hours , got the call ,all done at 12.03 pm .

Great service and i would recommend anyone to have it done .

County: Tyne and Wear
diesel smell after remap and dpf removal

Onto my second Alfa but new to forum , any advice is greatly appreciated , I've noticed a worryingly strong diesel smell after a dpf removal and remap , car is running great though , is this smell normal ? Or am I due a trip back to garage ? Many thanks in advance

Anyone did DPF/EGR removal on 2.0 JTDm?
AO Member

Member car:

AR 159 2.0 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roolieman View Post
Anyone did DPF/EGR removal on 2.0 JTDm?
I'd really like to know this myself. I'm interested in doing it, but I'm not sure because it's a EURO5 engine and I don't know if I can pass the technical inspection (MOT test)

Member car:

alfa romeo 159

cona can you please tell me the number in serbia ?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
definitive , delete , diesel , egr or dpf , remap , thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page