The definitive diesel remap, EGR/DPF delete thread - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

AO Member

County: Warwickshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by A6 View Post
Name of company: NJS Pershore
Your car and engine: 2.4Jdtm Ti
Work done: Remap , EGR delete and DPF removal
Price paid: 700
Gains: Massive improvement in driveability and performance, mpg up by 6mpg on average
Problems: None
Overall experience: Great service, would def recommend and mod is fully reversible as I have my DPF in unmolested condition, note some of the cheaper variants require 'butchering' the DPF to reuse the temp sensor so if you need to reinstate the DPF you may need to source a new part costing a small fortune!!!
Agree. Neil did a great job on mine. MPG on the way there 38.9 , on the way back 47.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unregistered

County: Midlands

Member car:

alfa romeo 159

I agree with above neil smith Njs pershore great service price paid 700 including dpf removal fully reversible as I have old unit in garage at home also egr disabled mines a auto and I'm getting about 7mpg more and the whole car felt smoother even at idle, I did alot of research on this before I got mine done but once I talked to Neil he was more than happy to spend 30 mins + talking me through the whole procedure I really did feel like nothing is too much trouble top guys at Njs
Not the cheapest but the best never is
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Name of company: AHM / Alfacare
Your car and engine: 159 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
Work done: Custom map, EGR Delete + DPF Bypass (263Bhp)
Price paid: 700
Gains: Significant increase in power from stock 200Bhp QTRONIC without being to much for the box to handle. Ady adjusts the map on test drives to get the car right "I just tweak it till it feels right", Ady. Transformed the car into what it should have been before Brussels got their hands on it.
Problems: None, after nearly 1 year of daily use, mixed town and motorway.

I use AHM exclusively for the maintenance / modification of the car and drive a 250 mile round trip for the privilege (I am mental, I know). Ady @ AHM/Alfacare knows his stuff and co-developed the best map in the UK over 3 or 4 years as far as research shows, and the car feels great to drive as a result.

Worth every penny.

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK

AO Member

County: Antrim
Interested in the ful EGR delete, DPF bypass and a remap, but I'm in NI. Anyone know anyone reputable for the work?

'07 1.9 JTDm btw
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
I've just had the DPF removed, new bypass pipe fitted, the EGR valve now ignored and a custom map applied. The map has made a great improvement to the performance. The car is much more responsive all through the range. However when under hard acceleration in 4th and 5th the revs start to bounce and the power delivery is not smooth. Added to that the car now makes a worrying screech when switching off the ignition. Time to go back to the garage
Unregistered

Member car:

alfa romeo 159

Whos remap did you get ?
AO Member

In fairness to the garage I will post a report on all the work once the problems have been solved.
AO Member

County: Belfast

Member car:

Black 159 ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJTDm View Post
Interested in the ful EGR delete, DPF bypass and a remap, but I'm in NI. Anyone know anyone reputable for the work?

'07 1.9 JTDm btw
Auto-Tune Engine Tuning Remap Rolling Road dyno Remapping Northern Ireland Belfast Ballymena
AO Member

Name of company: Pro Alfa
Your car and engine: 159 2.4 JTDM
Work done: Custom map, EGR Delete + DPF Bypass
Price paid: 500 ish (includes rolling road and print outs)
Gains: Much better low down making it easier to drive. I decided on a small power increase (+30 BHP and + 75 Touque). Acceleration is excellent and she now pulls away with no hesitation and the power is always on tap. Not noticed much gains in MPG as yet but this is due to not many miles covered since and a problem with a couple of leaking injectors!
Problems: My clutch is not happy. Under hard acceleration the revs increase but the speed doesn't. To start with this was only going up hill but it happens more and more now. I guess there was a underlying problem with the clutch and this has exposed it. Quite a bit of smoke on start up as well but this is related to the leaky injectors.

Overall I highly recommend Graham and the team at Pro Alfa. They'll do a map to fit your needs and talk you though the whole process.

Last edited by nascot; 24-04-12 at 22:06.
AO Member

County: -
I will borrow this topic, for a question regarding remaping and DPF.
Are there any known issues, if i would do a remap of a 2.4 (200bhp), without the removal of the DPF, since i haven't encountered any specific problems with it.

Thanks
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan_147 View Post
I will borrow this topic, for a question regarding remaping and DPF.
Are there any known issues, if i would do a remap of a 2.4 (200bhp), without the removal of the DPF, since i haven't encountered any specific problems with it.

Thanks
Only speculative issues that havent been proved. It will need to do more regens if you use the extra power, but thats too be expected
AO Member

Good, as i wouldn't be overdoing it with bhp and torque. I just need to fill the Turbo gap and the kinda sluggish response, that i'm experiencing under low revs.
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

Brera

Think about cleaning / replacing the egr.
AO Member

will be doing that also, but as i read, a lot of people complain about the turbo lag in the standard 2.4, the 2.4 210bhp has it sorted out. Will clean the egr and do a remap at the same time. On ~2000ish it pulls like a train though
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

Brera

Post your result. My Brera felt laggy at low rpm, which i would like to change. It's broken down now though
AO Member

County: Antrim

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by damondaysh View Post
Think about cleaning / replacing the egr.
Or go one stage further and blank off the EGR, and have it deleted when you're doing the remap. Then you will have no more EGR issues, and probably notice an improved mpg. DPF can stay in place.
Unregistered

Member car:

alfa romeo 159

Neil at Njs told me you can map the car more at low rpm with the dpf removed to increase low end response
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut121 View Post
Neil at Njs told me you can map the car more at low rpm with the dpf removed to increase low end response
That's what I've had done. Rather than just outright power the low end has been improved.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascot View Post
Name of company: Pro Alfa
Your car and engine: 159 2.4 JTDM
Work done: Custom map, EGR Delete + DPF Bypass
Price paid: 500 ish (includes rolling road and print outs)
Gains: Much better low down making it easier to drive. I decided on a small power increase (+30 BHP and + 75 Touque). Acceleration is excellent and she now pulls away with no hesitation and the power is always on tap. Not noticed much gains in MPG as yet but this is due to not many miles covered since and a problem with a couple of leaking injectors!
Problems: My clutch is not happy. Under hard acceleration the revs increase but the speed doesn't. To start with this was only going up hill but it happens more and more now. I guess there was a underlying problem with the clutch and this has exposed it. Quite a bit of smoke on start up as well but this is related to the leaky injectors.

Overall I highly recommend Graham and the team at Pro Alfa. They'll do a map to fit your needs and talk you though the whole process.
More stats to add. I did my first brim to brim run and got 625.1 miles out the tank which worked out at 41.2 MPG. The majority was motorway with the trip computer showing an average speed of 47mph.
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Name of company: Angel
Your car and engine: 159 Ti 2.4 jtdm(Black)
Work done: Standard remap with Dpf/egr delete
Price paid: 370
Gains: approx 55-60bhp
Problems: On start up in the mornings there's a little bit of smoke.
Overall experience: Great. Knowledgable on the phone before hand, very friendly and helpful staff when I took the car in. MPG still looks to be around an increase of 5%.
AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire
I've just been quoted 430 by ANGEL TUNING at BANBURY and 400 if two cars are done at the same time/day.
This to include DPF emptying then rewelded together and refitted(exhaust comes off for this job) plus EGR cut off and regenerating mapping removed/warning lights on dash etc . Plus obviously the remapping for performance .
Unregistered

Member car:

alfa romeo 159

I wanted my dpf back in one piece so went with Njs pershore
Lucky Lui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa.Romeo View Post
Anyone who has tried both AHM/Alfatunes and Angels handywork to compare share your findings please.
Will share my experience soon.

AO Member

County: Somerset
Name of company: Motormech
Your car and engine: 159 1.9 JTDM
Work done: Dpf removal, EGR delete and replace
Price paid: 380 for the Dpf and EGR delete (20 would have been for cleaning it) + 150 for replacement EGR valve as mine was shot.
Gains: Smooth power delivery across the full range and no more stuttering or problems starting. Early days though as only had it done on Saturday. I had only been averaging around 36-37mpg at best for a while before and I got 42mpg for the journey home according to the comp which is usually very acccurate for me. It was a nice motorway journey though so again too early to tell with any accuracy. I will update after a few more fuelly entries!
Problems: Possibly a bit noisier on start up than before, no smoking issues that I can see myself anyway! Only real negative was having to pay 150 more than I thought due to the faulty EGR valve but I don't blame them for that, I have no reason to suspect any foul play there.

Overall very happy with Motormech so far, they were responsive, courteous and did exactly as they said they would so for now I'm more than satisfied with my experience. Paul spent time explaining what he had done and confirmed they use the Top Gear Tuning map after having some 'aftersales issues' with Angel. No doubt I could have got more power/ mpg etc going elsewhere for more money but I don't regret choosing the cheaper option, it's like having a new car.

Last edited by handful; 29-10-12 at 13:57. Reason: typo
AO Member

County: Aquitaine
Name of company: EvoJet
Your car and engine: 159 2.4 (210) TI JTDM
Work done: Dpf removal, EGR delete and Boost Control tweaks to compensate for back pressure changes from DPF removal
Price paid: 121 for the ECU flash, 70 for the DPF bypass pipe from EBay
Gains: Better cold starting, smokeless (except on startup which gives small puff of smoke), fuel saving from no regens, seemingly more power and better fuel economy (only time will verify this)
Problems: None to mention with the work done. It has to be said that as an online service you will require an ODB2 cable (which I already had) and I would strongly suggest a registered copy of FiatECUScan to reset the DPF before flashing and any errors that show up straight after flashing (which are 'normal')
It should also be noted that using a low quality cable could cause a bad read (which would be confirmed by EvoJet and require a new read) and also a bad write (which could render the ECU in need of being sent off to be recovered). My cable was 20 and worked perfectly without a single error on read (I did several) and the write took 18seconds without a single problem.

EvoJet is very knowledgeable and put up with a LOT of questions from me without complaining
He is competent and friendly, does good work at a very reasonable price for those with data cables and who don't mind fitting a bypass pipe (or hollowing out their DPF to save the 70 for the bypass pipe)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
definitive , delete , diesel , egr or dpf , remap , thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page